How to handle a traffic stop

Massad Ayoob still has a lot of good info out there... how to deal with strange people knocking on your door at night, etc. I definitely like his advice on what to do after a defensive shooting... how to not talk to cops without sounding like you might be the bad guy. The exchange: Cop: "How many shots were fired?" Self-Defense Guy: (nods) "Shots were fired." will never not make me smile.

Just like any instructor, you take everything with a grain of salt. Evaluate it based on what you've learned through research and take their perspective in mind. This particular video will be useful only in states where you are required to inform, or for those who feel like informing. I don't, so I won't be following this advice.

I'd still love to take his MAG-40 class. I might not agree with everything he says, but he's got other stuff I'd like to learn about. Plus, I'd love a chance to ask him to explain his reasoning behind informing. With as many people as there are behind the informing idea, someone has got to have a good reason somewhere! I really want to know what it is! I'm beginning to think it might be an out-of-time practice... something from when CC permits first started up and the cops were used to only the bad guys CC-ing. Being fairly new to the firearm world, I'm not sure how the timeline goes (best to learn current laws very well before all the history if I intend to not go to jail! satisfy curiosity later), but if it went something like that then I could see it being polite/respectful and safer to inform right away.

If you want to challenge their authourity then you are going to have problems.
"Challenge their authority" to do WHAT?

Stop you for alleged speeding? No.

Compel you to render EXTRA-LEGAL shows of servile obeisance? No such "authority" exists.

If you want to challenge their authourity then you are going to have problems.

Their are legal limits to their authority. Beyond the legal limits to their authority are their whims, opinions and power trips. I refuse to submit to their whims, opinions and power trips. If that raises problems then so be it. I would rather die fight for freedom than live to a ripe old age as a servant of the police state.

Festus, c'mon man, how does a staged event whose only intent is to promote Ayoob's and Gresham's points of view help people in the real world? And I don't know if you caught it or not, but as far as I'm concerned, Ayoob has trashed his credibility forever with Link Removed in which he can't seem to find a thing in the world wrong with cops, doctors and nurses putting a man through 14 hours of multiple invasive rectal exams in New Mexico. All for what? He was first pulled over for a rolling stop coming out of a Walmart, and then the cop didn't like his attitude, that's it. He made up some phony premise for illegally searching him and his car and then when he didn't find anything, said his posture or stance or some such asshattery looked like he was clenching his butt cheeks, and the cop sought and got a warrant on that basis and his lying partner's statement that the guy had been "known" to hide drugs up his butt, for a forced cavity search that included multiple digital (fingers) examinations, a few forced enemas, multiple X-rays, and finally, a freakin' colonoscopy, all finding no contraband, and to top it off, the hospital was outside the jurisdiction that the warrant was written for, and by the time they got to the colonoscopy, the warrant had been expired for more than 3 hours anyway, and the hospital billed the 100% innocent citizen, but Ayoob can find no fault with any of that.

Massad Ayoob is the last one I will ever take advice from again. He has outed himself as exactly the kind of cop that everyone should fear is out there walkin' around free when they don't deserve to live among civilized human beings.

Blues

I was bashed, trashed and threatened with a slander suit. Eventually I just suspended my account years ago with Concealed carry .org. They believed that Massad was the messiah and word carved in stone. The only thing I ever said is that he has no combat training never served. He has written many books and articles he is versed in swat and tactical training. But I would rather take training from someone that have been in a firefight and served our nation in the armed services and I have. I cannot take advice from a man that is an arm chair Quarterback. Man did I ever get a heap load of crap from the gun nuts. I think it is awesome that he finally exposed himself. The Messiah has fallen.

what causes you to think that a cop is any different from any other person?

They're not. They're subject to the same fits of anger that any other human is. But then again there's that badge and that thin blue line with hundreds of other cops ready to take your life if you try to defend yourself or your loved ones.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

They're not. They're subject to the same fits of anger that any other human is. But then again there's that badge and that thin blue line with hundreds of other cops ready to take your life if you try to defend yourself or your loved ones.

another foolish post, I will answer point by point
the cops are human and that is why you need to be very wary of dealing with them, you never really know the mental disposition of the guy who is detaining you.
that thin blue line is not there to protect me or any other citizen, or ******* in cop vernacular , that blue line exists to protect themselves when they break laws and the blue line forms a means of protection for them
they are certainly at risk at being on the wrong end of a violent encounter and that is why they make the big bux, I don't see very many people volunteering to play cop, and ones who do are the whack jobs.

another foolish post, I will answer point by point
the cops are human and that is why you need to be very wary of dealing with them, you never really know the mental disposition of the guy who is detaining you.
that thin blue line is not there to protect me or any other citizen, or ******* in cop vernacular , that blue line exists to protect themselves when they break laws and the blue line forms a means of protection for them
they are certainly at risk at being on the wrong end of a violent encounter and that is why they make the big bux, I don't see very many people volunteering to play cop, and ones who do are the whack jobs.

You just confirmed everything I said but acted like you disagree. Way to be a retard.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Careful. If you say his name too many times he will appear.

Methinks he may already have.
pajenry_by_laoperz.gif

Ever see the movie Poltergeist? I'm like that ghost that comes down the stairs and hovers around, except my aura isn't light, it's flatulence. Keep saying my name and I'll show up when your mouth is open and you'll get a taste.

Their are legal limits to their authority. Beyond the legal limits to their authority are their whims, opinions and power trips. I refuse to submit to their whims, opinions and power trips. If that raises problems then so be it. I would rather die fight for freedom than live to a ripe old age as a servant of the police state.

Your post shows the exact issue we are having. There are some who do not want to believe the cops have ANY authority. The bravado boys who refuse to admit it will still pull over when the blue lights flash in the rearview. Get over it, because they have authority whether you like it or not. -
The problem is with the cops that exceed or abuse the authority defined by the law. If you tell one that they do not have permission to search your car, 90% of the time they are going to assume guilt and call the dogs or look for a work-around so that they can search anyway. Watch cops and see how they react when they come across a gun and say "ahhhh, one in the chamber" like it is a clue.
-
Ayoob's biggest problem is that he's giving opinions on matters based on a cops point of view and what would make their life easier. Some of his self defense advice is good, but anything that pertains to interaction with the cops is suspect because the laws differ from state to state. Just know the laws well enough in your state to know the limit of their authority.
-
You bad-a$$es that refuse to "submit to their authority", good luck to you; but the first we'll know of it is from a news report or a dash-cam video.

In Oklahoma the law is that you have to identify yourself as a permit holder any time you have contact with police and ate carrying a firearm

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back