Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

I'm in Amherst. Prints were taken on 1/14/2012. One of references and I were interviewed on 11/29/2012. It took until 12/19/2012 to complete the reference interviews due to a lot of telephone tag. I got the letter yesterday.

One year anniversary date of submission today. Had my interviews approximately 2 months ago with Amherst, so today I decided to go down to the PPO today and check on my status. Allan was not on the front desk so I thought it wouldn't hurt to just ask anyone. The women first looked up my status in the system and explained to me that my application has not been returned from APD yet, and if it was returned it's in a stack of applications about 2 feed tall on the supervisors desk. Walked away very disgruntled, but I'm at their mercy. I guess I have another 5 to 6 months to wait.

PPO said my application was sent to the judge on 6/26. How much longer do you think until I get my letter? It's been exactly 14 months so far. She made it seem like I'll know in the next few weeks but I'd rather hear the truth from you guys

It all depends on how many apps the judge has to review, and sign. it could be a week, or even up to another 4-6 weeks.
It's almost impossible to estimate how long it will take.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If the file is "clean" (no arrests, recommendation from the police)the judge usually gets the files back to the pistol permit department within 48 hours. BUT, the wait for the letter to be mailed out from the pistol permit department can be several more weeks.

If the file is "clean" (no arrests, recommendation from the police)the judge usually gets the files back to the pistol permit department within 48 hours. BUT, the wait for the letter to be mailed out from the pistol permit department can be several more weeks.

It can be sitting up with the judge for weeks. I know of a few people who recently received there's, and the general timeline is the letter was received about 4-6 weeks AFTER Judge Boller reviewed the application. Plan on about 2 months.

No "clean' application sits up with the judge for weeks. Files with problems which require hearings or need further information are delayed. When the file goes back down to the P.D. department, 4 to 6 weeks of delay can certainly occur.

No "clean' application sits up with the judge for weeks. Files with problems which require hearings or need further information are delayed. When the file goes back down to the P.D. department, 4 to 6 weeks of delay can certainly occur.

Yes they certainly can since they go up in stacks of 150 applications. Helps to work in the same building to have proper info.

Wow ! This is why I call NY " The People's Republic of New York ". 14 months ! That's rediculous. Talk about infringing on your right to keep and bear arms ! Here in America (North Carolina) all you need to do is take a 8 hour concealed carry class and then submit your paperwork to your county Sheriff. It takes about 2 to 4 weeks and then you get your concealed carry permit which is not only good everywhere in the State, but is recognized in 36 other states as well. That's a 24/7 ability to carry. So NY, GET rid of those liberal politicians ! Elect conseratives to the State legislature and a conservative governor and then you can straighten out you gun laws. O by the way, good luck with that 7 round magazine limit. Let me know how that works out.

Wow ! This is why I call NY " The People's Republic of New York ". 14 months ! That's rediculous. Talk about infringing on your right to keep and bear arms ! Here in America (North Carolina) all you need to do is take a 8 hour concealed carry class and then submit your paperwork to your county Sheriff. It takes about 2 to 4 weeks and then you get your concealed carry permit which is not only good everywhere in the State, but is recognized in 36 other states as well. That's a 24/7 ability to carry. So NY, GET rid of those liberal politicians ! Elect conseratives to the State legislature and a conservative governor and then you can straighten out you gun laws. O by the way, good luck with that 7 round magazine limit. Let me know how that works out.
Now go to a restaurant with a bar for dinner or perhaps a parade. You'll be arrested.

The long delays in NY aren't an attempt to stop people from getting a gun, they're due to a massive number of permit applications flooding small county departments with one or two employees.

Now go to a restaurant with a bar for dinner or perhaps a parade. You'll be arrested

What's hilarious, is whenever somebody rightfully bashes NY gun law, your immediate go to is the restaurant thing. I think it's time to come up with something else!

What's hilarious, is whenever somebody rightfully bashes NY gun law, your immediate go to is the restaurant thing. I think it's time to come up with something else!
OK, I'll go to the parade thing. What the hell is the problem with NC allowing you to carry standing on a public street at a parade? Restaurant carry? Perhaps the biggest carry issue in America right now. Being fought in multiple "gun-friendly" states as we speak. Why restaurant carry? Luby's café for one. I'm not dealing with any crazy gun laws in NYS. And I sure know the law here better than the armchair lawyers posting here. I arguably go where I want and do what I want unmolested; as we all do.

Being a landowner in Western NC I'll eventually move there. But not if I'm more restricted there than in NYS.

BTW, what NY gun law are we uninformed posters bashing today? If you're from VA what are ya'll doin on a NY chat board. The army of VA surrendered in 1865. The war is over, son.

Ive heard the mental health department has been slow to send out certificates. Mine was at the PPO and not with my local PD with my app packet local PD was holding on to the packet, waiting for the cert. They finally called me to call the PPO to send the cert to them, just they could send the whole packet back to be forwarded to the judge. Ive also talked to people and the general consensus is letter in the mail 6 months after your interview with local PD. My interview was in february, expected my letter by august, but i was called in june so im not expecting my letter till December. That would be a 20 month wait for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ive heard the mental health department has been slow to send out certificates. Mine was at the PPO and not with my local PD with my app packet local PD was holding on to the packet, waiting for the cert. They finally called me to call the PPO to send the cert to them, just they could send the whole packet back to be forwarded to the judge. Ive also talked to people and the general consensus is letter in the mail 6 months after your interview with local PD. My interview was in february, expected my letter by august, but i was called in june so im not expecting my letter till December. That would be a 20 month wait for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
That's a pretty bad response time. Some counties are running only 3-4 months. Saratoga County is the worst I've seen. They have only one person they'll allow to teach the four-hour safety course and very strict rules about when you can schedule your course. People are waiting 5 months for fingerprints and then 9 months to get a safety course. We offered to alleviate the backlog but were told the judge only trusts one instructor in the entire state. That's as per the clerk's office.

Yes, in NC there is a couple of issues like the restaurant and parade & Funeral thing, but that's in the works to get changed. NC had democrats in charge for a long time. We now have a Republican controlled government now. So it's in the works to get changed. Besides that in NY you can't carry into a restaurant either. You can only carry going to and from a range. So don't even try to compare North Carolina with New York. It's not even close !

Besides that in NY you can't carry into a restaurant either.

NYS has no prohibition on concealed carry permit holders carrying in a bar or restaurant. NYS tries to weed out the irresponsible people before granting a concealed permit, so it isn't necessary to micro-manage the yahoos as to where they can and cannot carry.

I thought I'd post an update on my latest adventure trying to obtain my CCW through Erie County. A few months back I called down to the PPO to see if they could give me an update on my permit. At that time it had Just been submitted to the judge (June 3rd). Mind you, at that date I had been going on 14 months. The people at the PPO said that it should only be a few more weeks. I followed up at the End of July and was told it was still out for the Judges approval. Just this week I hit my 17 month mark and have still not received my letter. Again, being concerned that something is holding my process up I called again. And again, I received help from very polite people but was stated, "it's still in waiting for the judges approval, the same thing we told you a few weeks back." SO apparently thy are also documenting when we call. To some they may think I'm calling too much but frankly 17 months to get my CCW I think is a little excessive. My intentions are to see that my paperwork not get stalled or slip though the cracks. All that aside I didn't know if any other fellow Erie County folks have experienced this same issue? Is there anything we can do to ensure our paperwork doesn't get stalled in the process? I appreciate ll your input.

Last edited:
Yes, in NC there is a couple of issues like the restaurant and parade & Funeral thing, but that's in the works to get changed. NC had democrats in charge for a long time. We now have a Republican controlled government now. So it's in the works to get changed. Besides that in NY you can't carry into a restaurant either. You can only carry going to and from a range. So don't even try to compare North Carolina with New York. It's not even close !

I'm assuming when you state "You can only carry to and from a range", you are referring to a Restricted permit for "target" purposes. IF you have a Restricted Permit, (forgive me, it's been many years since I had this restriction) there are restrictions on HOW you transport the handgun to the range, but I do not believe you can carry loaded on your person. Once at the range (or club), you are then allowed to carry it there, but once you leave, it must be transported in accordance with your limited permit...typically unloaded and stowed in a range bag or other container.
If your restriction includes "hunting", you can carry while hunting, but it again must be stowed on the way to and from your hunting grounds.
If you have an "unrestricted" permit, you can carry in a restaurant, bar (that does more than 50% of it's business in alcohol sales, ie. Florida), parade, funeral, bank, barber shop, gas station... or just about anywhere we want to carry...with some limited exceptions(state parks, courthouses, federal properties,etc).
I'm assuming by having NY in your online name, you 'were' from NY, but based on your knowledge of it's gun laws, you left before receiving your unrestricted permit. Don't believe all the "out-of state" online 'attorneys' or 'experts' who claim to know NY Handgun laws....and while I'm not an attorney or even play one on TV, I know from experience that NY is not as restrictive as some other states in some respects, but is more restrictive in other respects.

Nogods is right! Plus, it's obvious to me that BC1 is far more familiar with and has attorney friends that know the law and how to read and interpret them. He's usually spot-on when it comes to NY gun laws.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back