Purchase guns without waiting a year plus for a permit
Open Carry
Open Carry with no permit
Buy the mags they want
Defend their lives without going to jail for it
Not have to come up with excuses to exercise a right they already have
Start passing PRO gun laws and law to strengthen the ones they have

THEN call VA a nanny state!
You need a lesson in NYS penal law. And while I'm certified to teach it you'll have to do your own homework.
NYS has a long wait because the county permit departments are completely buried in applications. Several years ago the wait was about 10 weeks. Since then the number of applicants has risen about 400%. It isn't because some anti-gunner is making it difficult.
Open carry? Keep it. People like myself don't want to walk around with a heater exposed.
Defend themselves without going to jail for it? Where does that misinformation come from? In NYS there has never... NEVER... been a conviction for shooting a burglar. S35.20 of the penal law provides for the use of deadly force to thwart a burglary. And while NYS requires a duty to retreat when in public (no duty to retreat in the home), that is only if one can retreat with complete safety to self and others. If one attempts to retreat and the perp persists then you may stand your ground. Duty to retreat in NYS is only a requirement when an attack has not commenced. To disengage is the smart thing to do... unless you're George Zimmerman. Once a perp makes a move it is perfectly legal to stand your ground. You don't have to run away.
It's has been traditionally fashionable to trash NYS even before the 7-round ruling. People historically shot (no pun intended) their mouth off regarding a state with over 1 million CCW permits that were good for life and no limitation on where one can or can't go. The 7-round issue is not settled as there are numerous actions in play.
Really? Telling somebody not to drink if they carry a gun into a bar is a nanny law? I'm against most anti-gun laws, but that's just being responsible. Arguing that NY has better gun laws than VA is just a special kind of stupid, sorry. Why defend the laws of one of the most anti gun states in existence? Seriously? I willing to bet the ONLY people that defend it are the ones that live in the few pro Counties that actually give WORKING permits and have never experienced being a gun owner NY style. My area has a LOT of transplanted NY gun owners and I doubt all the identical stories are lies, minus hundreds more I read online stating the exact same thing. That would be pretty damn convenient.
This is what's commonly called anecdotal information. But it isn't true. I'm not defending NYS but I am certified to teach the penal law and you're completely misinformed. A few counties? Are you kidding? All but three counties (roughly 110) passed resolutions condemning Cuomo's new gun law. Getting a permit North of NYC is no big deal. It just takes time due to the large jump in applications. People aren't denied without cause as outlined in penal law S400.00, and, as provided for in Virginia law as well. No one may be denied arbitrarily or capriciously. Through our permit services at PPA we have secured thousands of permit for people over the past 10 years. We've seen only two (2) people denied in those ten years. When I leave home this afternoon I'll have no worries about being hassled for carrying a gun.

I don't know about that ...... the Sullivan Act (enacted in 1911) is one of the oldest and most obnoxious gun laws in the country. Anything that requires a civilian be licensed to touch a handgun is pretty damn lame. This is not in any way consistent with the recent Heller and McDonald SCOTUS rulings which declared that a citizen has a fundamental right to own and possess a handgun in his or her home for the purpose of self defense. Seems to me that a fundamental right cannot be "licensed".

So do we give a handgun to a murderer just because he paid his debt to society? Anyone want to give Jodi Arias a gun?

Tell you what...I will call your 7 round mags and raise you a fistful of 30 round mags along ith an unregistered ar15 or should I say 3 unregistered ar15's. You just hurry on to your little bar and count the bullets in your magazine. Hey you cn almost do it on one hand. Talk about who is being baby sat huh.

I'd rather have 7 on the hip than 30 locked in the car. Next time you and your spouse are enjoying a glass of wine with dinner and mayhem breaks out, maybe you can pull out a picture of all that firepower and scare the shooter away.

Texas is even worse - no churches, no sporting events, no bars or restaurants serving alcohol, no hospitals or medical offices, and on and on and on.

The point isn't that any state's gun control laws are good. The point is that your state has you fooled into thinking you are not being treated like a child by pointing to New York State's laws. It has worked particularly well in Texas where Texans don't even realize they are way more restricted than New York because six-gun Perry keeps pointing at NY.

So do we give a handgun to a murderer just because he paid his debt to society? Anyone want to give Jodi Arias a gun?
Received an interesting e-mail from NYSRPA yesterday in part stating : "Clearly the alleged suspect was not deterred by the Governor's new prohibition on keeping more than seven rounds in magazine," said NYSRPA President Tom King. "He also was unfazed by the 100+ year old Sullivan Act and it's prohibition on unlicensed possession of a handgun. This is another clear example of how New York's gun laws, old and new, do not make the state any safer."

Story link from the e-mail here : Recent events prove the SAFE Act doesn't make New York safe

§ 18.2-308.9-J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

New York State doesn't have Nanny laws like that. New York tries to weed out the immature irresponsible yahoos before they can legally purchase a gun.

Well so few people in NY can actually legally own a gun, combined with the fact many people don't drink, the odds of a legal gun owner in a bar is probably pretty low.

And tell me about you "not a nanny state" while ordering your ultra-large 16oz. soft drink, or any of the other guberment mandated dietary controls. Now eat your veggies or no pie.

As far as carrying a handgun into a place that serves alcohol no it is not against the law in NY,but if you are involved in an incident where police are called and the officer discovers you are armed the officer could let the permit office know & you could have your permit suspended or revoked. most instructors tell you this in the course your man did you eat before you get your permit.

Well so few people in NY can actually legally own a gun, combined with the fact many people don't drink, the odds of a legal gun owner in a bar is probably pretty low.

And tell me about you "not a nanny state" while ordering your ultra-large 16oz. soft drink, or any of the other guberment mandated dietary controls. Now eat your veggies or no pie.

But we can eat soft foods because we want too, not because we are lacking teeth.

You need to think about that post a bit. The ignorance overflows. Please either back-up your statement with facts or stop with the false info.
First, I'm in the permit business in NY. There is no problem getting a permit. The requirement is no different than any other state. File an application and pass a background check. Period. There are over 1 million CCW permits in NYS. Out of thousands of clients over 10 years I've seen two, yes TWO, denials. And they were legitimate.
Second, you're confusing NYC and NYS. NYS has no laws against a 20 ounce soda. There are no food controls in NYS.
Third, the number of people carrying guns in bars is significant. As long as a person is not intoxicated there is no issue with police or judges.

BC1 you bring up some good points BUT its absolutely crazy that so many permits are Restricted to Target/Hunting after all the background checks and waiting time. I walked into the Centre County PA Sheriffs office and walked out with a Full Carry Non Res PA permit in 20 minutes. I have more rights to carry in other states than my own. Is the Target/Hunting Permit in Erie County really even a Pistol Permit???

BC1 you bring up some good points BUT its absolutely crazy that so many permits are Restricted to Target/Hunting after all the background checks and waiting time. I walked into the Centre County PA Sheriffs office and walked out with a Full Carry Non Res PA permit in 20 minutes. I have more rights to carry in other states than my own. Is the Target/Hunting Permit in Erie County really even a Pistol Permit???
The issue you raise needs to be handled at the voting booth. Renegade judge. In most cases permit restrictions tend to follow political affiliation of the judge. Most permits we've done have been unrestricted. Part of the issue is that, with no training requirement people are generally viewed by a judge as unqualified to carry or shoot. A large number of restricted permits are amended after the person has become experienced or has taken additional training. Many counties and judges only issue unrestricted permits. Even those with permit restrictions are exempt from criminal charges when carrying outside of the restrictions (NYS PL 265.20(3)).

Demographics is really in charge of the Voting Booth, we are highly outnumbered here. Its not us gun owners who do not vote the right way but the other side having greater numbers, there is really nothing we can do other than trying to persuade others to vote our way and in most cases its a lost cause as I am sure you know.

I think the main argument between Virgina/Texas and NY is the permit application process. The process in NY is a total joke. I had to wait almost two years in Erie County because I had to re-submit my fingerprints and ended up with restricted permit anyway. By the way, how long should one wait to apply for unrestricted? I received mine in late 2011. Any recommended courses to help my cause? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

In Orange county I waited about 18 mos and had no problem getting all restrictions off. Oh and my Kimber only holds 7 rounds but I can carry all the extra mags I want.

I think the main argument between Virgina/Texas and NY is the permit application process. The process in NY is a total joke. I had to wait almost two years in Erie County because I had to re-submit my fingerprints and ended up with restricted permit anyway. By the way, how long should one wait to apply for unrestricted? I received mine in late 2011. Any recommended courses to help my cause? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
PM me with an email address and Ill send you 5 or 6 sample letters we've used successfully. They are in MS-Word format.

Is there any way to change whay type of permit you are applying for? I applied for a hunting/target permit because I was told that I would never get a concealed carry in Erie County. It has been close to 6 months and I am on the tail end of the procee (all of my references have been contacted)

How long does it typically take from this point until I actually receive my permit?

Called the permit office today. I was told they received the judge's decision for my permit 2 days ago. I figured an additional few days to mail the letter. Instead I was told it'll be another month. 1 month from now will be 17 months and 2 days from the time I had my prints taken. - Still waiting in Amherst.

I too called the PPD today and spoke with a very helpful woman. She looked into my permit and said it was within one of the two stacks, standing about 3-4 feet tall each yet to be submitted to the judge. Not really what I wanted to hear but nice to speak with a human down there. 3 days away from 14 months..still waiting from Hamburg.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back