Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

We do offer more classes and we are doing an Intro To CCW today for people who are looking to carry concealed and for students who are looking for training that can be used to try and remove restrictions in Erie County. We are adding more classes and we will have more on the schedule within weeks. We also recommend MDTS training for anyone looking for live fire training.

More info can be found on our website here: Firearms Training of WNY | Pistol Permit and Safety Training in Buffalo and WNY

Have been watching this thread for a while. Received letter on 9/25. Went to pick up permit 10/11. A few folks in line didn't wait long. Went in the morning. Just a shade under 16 months for the process. According to the clerk, when asked by a customer what stage his permit was at, all he could tell him was they were starting to process applications turned in last February. Everyone was very pleasant. I don't think there is any help in sight for the folks down there. The county doesn't seem to want to staff the office. I don't understand, its a revenue stream... I would have guessed money usurps all... lol. Glad to finally get it.

Submitted my forms to upgrade status to unrestricted on 8/2/13 and got my approval letter today (11/7/2013). After 2 failed attempts prior I did not expect to get approved before 5 years (permit granted 5/15/2010). I took my time and used the online pdf form to type in the application. For reason I put "An increasing crime rate and desire to protect my family are the reasons I am requesting upgrade. Additionally I have held an unrestricted permit in PA and have carried concealed many times during the 3 years in PA without incident".

Hope this and prior posts helps anyone looking to get an unrestricted permit in Erie County.

Just wanted to update you guys on a friend of mine. She received her permit yesterday after 11 months 12 days from filing (she is in town of hamburg). I don't remember exactly when her references were contact but it was end of summer time frame.

We'll happy to report that my wife and I finally received our permits, unrestricted, just shy of 12 months. We had our interview with LEOs early September.

Hello,

Here's my update and a question before I can ring up the office on Monday.

Permit submitted to permit dept. 01/29/13
Finger prints 01/30/13
Interviews complete 10/07/13
Called permit dept. to get an update on 02/27/14 and was told "it's on the judges desk".
Received approval letter 03/01/14; letter dated 02/27/14

First, I'd love to know what the very polite woman at the office meant when she said that it's on the judges desk. Even if it came down from the judge for letter writing on 02/27/14 there's no way the letter goes out same day.

Second, the letter makes no mention of restrictions, nor does it mention that I have to go before a judge. In my application, for "a license is required for the following reason, I circled both hunting and unrestricted personal protection. Could it be that when the letter reads "You have been approved to receive a pistol permit issued by the country clerk" that I received the unrestricted like I applied for?

I was recently encouraged by the reports posted here an elsewhere. Hopes my timeline encourages more of you!

Thanks,

Bird

Second, the letter makes no mention of restrictions, nor does it mention that I have to go before a judge. In my application, for "a license is required for the following reason, I circled both hunting and unrestricted personal protection. Could it be that when the letter reads "You have been approved to receive a pistol permit issued by the country clerk" that I received the unrestricted like I applied for?

Bird

What the permit office will tell you when you call: "If the letter does not say that you did not show just cause for the unrestricted permit, then that is what you got"

This seems to hold true in most cases, if you applied for "Unrestricted" and you got an approval letter, that is what you are getting. If you applied for "Unrestricted" and you got a letter that reads you did not show "just cause" or "proper cause", then you would get a Target/Hunting permit.

Let us know if you need anything at all.

wait time

Well I am new here, but I had turned in my application, money, prints and the whole deal in Erie County 3 months ago now, and still haven't heard a thing, when I went in the told me to expect a 6 month wait, I am halfway there! I will keep you abreast of what happens.

Went ]to Gander Mountain today, the sales man told me 16 to 18 months before the permit is granted

Good to hear people are getting unrestricted permits on their initial application. I wonder if the almost nightly shootings in Buffalo is having an impact on the Judge's views about allowing law abiding citizens to be legally armed to defend themselves when out in public.

A recent news report about a "peace activists" son who was arrested in a drug bust revealed that his son was on probation for his prior illegal possession of a handgun (in the course of another drug bust, so why he wasn't in jail instead of on probation is the big mystery.)

But in the course of trying to explain his son's troubles with the law, the "peace activists" claimed that he knew many "well-educated, young African-American men who feel they need to carry a gun to feel safe because of the crime around them."

So perhaps the Judge concluded that if the "peace activists" think it is justifiable for "
well-educated, young African-American men" to illegally possess firearms (while engaged in drug dealing no less) then maybe law abiding citizens who put in the effort and go through the process to legally possess a firearm shouldn't be prohibited from legally carrying that firearm to also "feel safe because of the crime around them."

Maybe the day will come when the thugs will not feel safe because of the armed law abiding citizens around them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back