Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

It takes about 2 to 4 weeks and then you get your concealed carry permit which is not only good everywhere in the State, but is recognized in 36 other states as well. That's a 24/7 ability to carry.
Good everywhere but a public parade? Better check those laws.

Yes, in NC there is a couple of issues like the restaurant and parade & Funeral thing, but that's in the works to get changed. NC had democrats in charge for a long time. We now have a Republican controlled government now. So it's in the works to get changed. Besides that in NY you can't carry into a restaurant either. You can only carry going to and from a range. So don't even try to compare North Carolina with New York. It's not even close !
No sir. OK to carry in a restaurant or bar. We aren't limited to and from a range. 24 X 7, everywhere but a school.
I didn't know about the funeral thing. Isn't the person already dead?

BTW, what NY gun law are we uninformed posters bashing today? If you're from VA what are ya'll doin on a NY chat board. The army of VA surrendered in 1865. The war is over, son.

LOL, I'm from MA dude! So ya the war is VERY over and VA is very aware they lost it. Also, my area has more Northeast transplants than natives (with NY'ers being the majority) Being from MA I'm very aware of terrible gun laws when I see them. But at least MA doesn't take over a year to issue a permit. They have 40 days by law, which while many depts go over...not by THAT much plus many jurisdictions are Shall Issue by practice, yes I'm aware there are some decent counties for gun owners in NY but those seem to be few and far between. Your problem is you HAVE your permit, and I think you forget what hell it is for MANY in your state to get an unrestricted one. I'm from Boston, the WORST place in MA to be from! People on the other side of the state apply, and go back in a few weeks and pick up their permit, having no clue the hell some parts of the state go through. I think that's your situation. Cops can see your criminal history from their cruiser on a traffic stop, NICS can approve a sale in 30 seconds, so what are they REALLY looking into for over a year? Sure there are some small rinky dink counties out there, but how many people live their? There can only be so much of a back log.

LOL, I'm from MA dude! So ya the war is VERY over and VA is very aware they lost it. Also, my area has more Northeast transplants than natives (with NY'ers being the majority) Being from MA I'm very aware of terrible gun laws when I see them. But at least MA doesn't take over a year to issue a permit. They have 40 days by law, which while many depts go over...not by THAT much plus many jurisdictions are Shall Issue by practice, yes I'm aware there are some decent counties for gun owners in NY but those seem to be few and far between. Your problem is you HAVE your permit, and I think you forget what hell it is for MANY in your state to get an unrestricted one. I'm from Boston, the WORST place in MA to be from! People on the other side of the state apply, and go back in a few weeks and pick up their permit, having no clue the hell some parts of the state go through. I think that's your situation. Cops can see your criminal history from their cruiser on a traffic stop, NICS can approve a sale in 30 seconds, so what are they REALLY looking into for over a year? Sure there are some small rinky dink counties out there, but how many people live their? There can only be so much of a back log.
The long wait is due to understaffing and a massive number of new permits. So many people are getting permits that you need to make an appointment to get fingerprinted in a of of areas. And they're booked months out. The state dept. of mental health was severely understaffed and background checks had nearly grinded to a halt for quite some time. There isn't some grand conspiracy to delay permit applications. It's merely like everything else in NYS government... slow. There are close to 1 million CCW permits in upstate NY (in a population of 11 million people), not counting NYC.
Many counties, not just in the sticks, issue only unrestricted permits. In fact, in Orange, Dutchess, Ulster counties, all within an hour of NYC, unrestricted permits are the norm.

FINALLY got my letter. Nearly 18 months from start to finish. Applied for unrestricted, got target/hunting...no surprise there. I'm in Amherst.

Im currently at 13 months and still no word. I had my interview and references were contacted back in march, nearly 6 months ago. Paitence is key I guess. My buddy's wife (Niagara County), put her permit in about 4 months after I did, and received her Unrestricted, Full Carry 4 months after that, making her total process from start to end atleast 8 months faster than mine (if i got my permit today). Sad part is, she got unrestricted, I will get restrictions and have to wait 5 years to apply for my upgrade. Bummer!

I had the same experience when I called last month. The lady on the phone referanced the last time I called and told
me it is out on the judges desk. Then she got very rude and said " a couple more months like I told you before" the last time I called was 2 months ago, I thought a couple of months means 2 months but I guess not. So yes they keep track of when we call for what reason I do not know,but 15 months is way to long to wait in my book.

Just got back from Erie County PPO, 9:30 am this morning. Hard to believe, but there was no one in the office waiting. Went down being my 15th month after submission. Sat down with Will, always pleasant to me. Looked up my status and told me that I had been OK'd by the Judge and that it was in the pile, he showed me, waiting to be mailed out. There was maybe 100 applications waiting to be mailed. He said that his secretary was working on them daily and that I would be receiving it shortly. Looks like I'm on the last leg of the process, lets see how long it takes for mailing.

Just got back from Erie County PPO, 9:30 am this morning. Hard to believe, but there was no one in the office waiting. Went down being my 15th month after submission. Sat down with Will, always pleasant to me. Looked up my status and told me that I had been OK'd by the Judge and that it was in the pile, he showed me, waiting to be mailed out. There was maybe 100 applications waiting to be mailed. He said that his secretary was working on them daily and that I would be receiving it shortly. Looks like I'm on the last leg of the process, lets see how long it takes for mailing.

Did he tell you if it was restricted? Most likely will be...unless you have compelling reason for unrestricted.
My wife got hers immediately...because in her business, she meets people she may have only spoken to on the phone in all neighborhoods, at different hours of the day, outside of an office environment. Me, on the other hand, on many occasions, I must go into vacant(sometimes boarded) homes, again in all neighborhoods, with bullet holes in the windows, needles and knives laying on the floors... but I had no compelling reason for an unrestricted permit. I had the pleasure of waiting a number of years to prove I wasn't an irresponsible idiot before I could get my Unrestricted permit. The stupid part of the restrictions stated that when I was not in transit to the range and/or hunting, the gun was to be locked in the safe....so basically, I only had opportunity to be stupid and irresponsible while I was going hunting or to the range. BUT it made them "feel good" about their illogical restrictions of a law abiding citizen...even after they did the background checks, called all my references, etc....by which THEY concluded I was not an idiot, and issued the permit in the first place!

I did not ask him. I do have a business in my name that does perform security for individuals. I realize that I may only get Target and hunting, but it's a start.

Residence in Town of Wales (Erie County Sheriff's Office territory)

Applied 9/7/12
Printed 9/7/12 at SWAT in Lackawanna
References all called on 6/2/13 (yep, a Sunday!)
At home interview done on 6/2/13 (yep, still a Sunday!)
Got letter from PPO 9/25/13

And this is with having a "friend" that does the PP investigations for EC Sheriffs...

Patience is a virtue for a reason.

G

Also got my letter from Erie PPO today. I think a few people got theirs. A friend of mine's wife also got hers today.

I got mine as well yesterday. Applied 8/5/12, printed on 8/6/12, Local BI and reference contacted 3/26/13, and letter arrived yesterday 9/25/13. I def didnt waste anytime. Went straight to Buffalo Gun Center :D

Got down to Erie County PPO at 11:30am. Again there was only one other person waiting. Left the office at 12:15pm, 45 mins., with my permit in hand. Got unrestricted. I'm one happy camper today.

Dang! Congratulations. I got restricted :( Practice is something I know I need and will do a lot of, but 5 years to wait for unrestricted is a LONG LONG time. Not only that, but now I can only wear concealed inside my own house and to and front target/hunting. Thats silly. Sounds funny to conceal within my house, but i have to get used to wearing it somehow..... Also, to wait 15 months to be restricted kinda stinks, but what can ya do? The BG's arent worrying about their restrictions lol.

Residence in Town of Wales (Erie County Sheriff's Office territory)

Applied 9/7/12
Printed 9/7/12 at SWAT in Lackawanna
References all called on 6/2/13 (yep, a Sunday!)
At home interview done on 6/2/13 (yep, still a Sunday!)
Got letter from PPO 9/25/13

And this is with having a "friend" that does the PP investigations for EC Sheriffs...

Patience is a virtue for a reason.

G

...and actually made it down to PPO today and was pleasantly surprised to get unrestricted as well.

G

I got my letter over the weekend. Waited 18 months. Went downtown Monday after work, no one was waiting ahead of me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats to everyone that recently got their permits! You will not have to wait 5 years to get an unrestricted permit in Erie County. Taking training and showing that you have become more familiar with use and safe handling of a firearm goes a long way in getting those restrictions removed. Many people (with training) have removed their restrictions in the first two years of having a permit.

Congrats to everyone that recently got their permits! You will not have to wait 5 years to get an unrestricted permit in Erie County. Taking training and showing that you have become more familiar with use and safe handling of a firearm goes a long way in getting those restrictions removed. Many people (with training) have removed their restrictions in the first two years of having a permit.

Just out of curiosity, other than the class for carry in additional states, what classes are offered to further our expertise and training with firearms? Are there defensive tactic classes and stuff? If so, where can i find this information? Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back