Erie County, NY Pistol Permit Application Process

Just got my permit in the mail today. I'm a Hamburg resident. Submitted my paperwork April 15 2012. Was told it was a 8 to ten month wait. Had my interview with the Hamburg police in the beginning of October 2012. Had to give each of my references a interview sheet to be filled out and sent back to the Hamburg police (each reference had to have their statements notarized). That was completed by November 1st 2012. Called the Erie County pistol permit office on February 1st 2013 to inquire about my permits status. They told me it was sitting on their desk with about 300 others waiting to be signed by the judge. (3 months for a judge to sign and for them to send me a letter? What a joke!!!!) Finally received it today. Target and hunting. Now I can go pick up my M&P 9c (that I purchased in February) tomorrow. Someone should really do something about this ridiculous wait time. Totally unacceptable imo.

Stinger95 - congrats on getting your permit! Can you advise whether your a village or a town resident? No disrespect to you but it makes me wonder if there is a correlation with the response rate difference between town and village. I state this as I too am a hamburg resident (town of hamburg) and submitted my paperwork about a month before yours and still haven't heard anything yet. My paperwork was re-submitted by the detective at the end of Jan. 2013 (almost 3 months now) and when I finally got through that ridiculous automated answering system at the beginning of April 2013 to follow up on it the gentlemen said due to the NYS Safe Act I should expect another 2 month wait...we'll see how this goes. I 100% agree with you, completely ridiculous & unacceptable.

Stinger95 - congrats on getting your permit! Can you advise whether your a village or a town resident? No disrespect to you but it makes me wonder if there is a correlation with the response rate difference between town and village. I state this as I too am a hamburg resident (town of hamburg) and submitted my paperwork about a month before yours and still haven't heard anything yet. My paperwork was re-submitted by the detective at the end of Jan. 2013 (almost 3 months now) and when I finally got through that ridiculous automated answering system at the beginning of April 2013 to follow up on it the gentlemen said due to the NYS Safe Act I should expect another 2 month wait...we'll see how this goes. I 100% agree with you, completely ridiculous & unacceptable.

I'm from Lake View. So that would make me a town resident. I totally understand your frustration. My only suggestion would be to show up at the pistol permit office in person and ask about the specific status of your permit application. I called and finally got through (after calling several times a day, every day of the week for a month. Always got the "we're busy with other customers, please try again later" message) at the end of March and they were far from specific. They told me it was probably sitting in a pile. I just went down today to add my pistol to my permit so I could go pick it up. I waited about 5 minutes to be taken care of. 4 people in line ahead of me. So there should be no reason why the couldn't tell you exactly what's going on with your permit. Good luck!

BC....interested on where exactly you are referring to in the statute?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NYSPL S400.00 defines the application and approval process. There is no provision requiring a signed waiver of any kind.

I am curious as to why you folks continue to live under that form of tyranny. In Virginia no permit required, go to the store, pick out your pistol, fill out background check paperwork, five minutes later go to the range, go home, fill out concealed carry application, take to courthouse, pay fifty bucks, 2 to 5 weeks later carry concealed. The biggest firearm problem in Virginia is finding ammunition. Virginia default position is that citizens are trusted to exercise their God given rights with care.

I am curious as to why you folks continue to live under that form of tyranny. In Virginia no permit required, go to the store, pick out your pistol, fill out background check paperwork, five minutes later go to the range, go home, fill out concealed carry application, take to courthouse, pay fifty bucks, 2 to 5 weeks later carry concealed. The biggest firearm problem in Virginia is finding ammunition. Virginia default position is that citizens are trusted to exercise their God given rights with care.

Simple, the people have given up. They have either a spineless or no pro rights org like the VCDL and continue to put the people in power that do this to to them. NO state North or South get's THAT bad unless the people allow it to. People in NY and NJ don't get that even in the South and Northern Pro-Gun states that idiot dems propose crap laws all the time, the difference is we don't stand for it. Even where I'm from in MA, while the permitting system is screwy at least they only legally have 40 days to get it to you. This year crap? NO EXCUSE! Especially since most of NY counties are country. No excuse for taking a year+ At some point people need to stop being affraid of pissing of the machine and fight back.

Virginia default position is that citizens are trusted to exercise their God given rights with care.
Unless you want to go to a restaurant or have a beer. Off limits are bars or restaurants serving alcoholic beverages and places of worship during religious service. THAT, is gun control at it's worst. I'll take the mag restriction of seven rounds over a law requiring I leave the gun in my car.

Unless you want to go to a restaurant or have a beer. Off limits are bars or restaurants serving alcoholic beverages and places of worship during religious service. THAT, is gun control at it's worst. I'll take the mag restriction of seven rounds over a law requiring I leave the gun in my car.

Not sure where your getting your info, but we can carry in restaurants, bars and churches. It's been like that for some time now. Our laws keep getting better, yours keep getting worse. Your saying VA has gun control, LOL!

...... THAT, is gun control at it's worst.

I don't know about that ...... the Sullivan Act (enacted in 1911) is one of the oldest and most obnoxious gun laws in the country. Anything that requires a civilian be licensed to touch a handgun is pretty damn lame. This is not in any way consistent with the recent Heller and McDonald SCOTUS rulings which declared that a citizen has a fundamental right to own and possess a handgun in his or her home for the purpose of self defense. Seems to me that a fundamental right cannot be "licensed".

§ 18.2-308.9-J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

New York State doesn't have Nanny laws like that. New York tries to weed out the immature irresponsible yahoos before they can legally purchase a gun.

§ 18.2-308.9-J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

New York State doesn't have Nanny laws like that. New York tries to weed out the immature irresponsible yahoos before they can legally purchase a gun.

Really? Telling somebody not to drink if they carry a gun into a bar is a nanny law? I'm against most anti-gun laws, but that's just being responsible. Arguing that NY has better gun laws than VA is just a special kind of stupid, sorry. Why defend the laws of one of the most anti gun states in existence? Seriously? I willing to bet the ONLY people that defend it are the ones that live in the few pro Counties that actually give WORKING permits and have never experienced being a gun owner NY style. My area has a LOT of transplanted NY gun owners and I doubt all the identical stories are lies, minus hundreds more I read online stating the exact same thing. That would be pretty damn convenient.

Really? Telling somebody not to drink if they carry a gun into a bar is a nanny law? I'm against most anti-gun laws, but that's just being responsible. Arguing that NY has better gun laws than VA is just a special kind of stupid, sorry. Why defend the laws of one of the most anti gun states in existence? Seriously? I willing to bet the ONLY people that defend it are the ones that live in the few pro Counties that actually give WORKING permits and have never experienced being a gun owner NY style. My area has a LOT of transplanted NY gun owners and I doubt all the identical stories are lies, minus hundreds more I read online stating the exact same thing. That would be pretty damn convenient.

So Virginia has to legislate responsible behavior with firearms because it can't trust its citizens with firearms to act responsibly on their own. Yes, that is a nanny law.

So Virginia has to legislate responsible behavior with firearms because it can't trust its citizens with firearms to act responsibly on their own. Yes, that is a nanny law.

Tell ya what when NY can:

Purchase guns without waiting a year plus for a permit
Open Carry
Open Carry with no permit
Buy the mags they want
Defend their lives without going to jail for it
Not have to come up with excuses to exercise a right they already have
Start passing PRO gun laws and law to strengthen the ones they have

THEN call VA a nanny state!

Tell you what...I will call your 7 round mags and raise you a fistful of 30 round mags along ith an unregistered ar15 or should I say 3 unregistered ar15's. You just hurry on to your little bar and count the bullets in your magazine. Hey you cn almost do it on one hand. Talk about who is being baby sat huh.

Not sure where your getting your info, but we can carry in restaurants, bars and churches. It's been like that for some time now. Our laws keep getting better, yours keep getting worse. Your saying VA has gun control, LOL!
According to the NRA that is incorrect. The ILA makes the following statement on the NRA website...
"No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. It is unlawful to carry any firearm without good and sufficient reason to a place of worship while a religious meeting is being held. It is unlawful to hunt with a firearm while under the influence of an intoxicant or narcotic drug. (Link Removed)
That's gun control by any measure. The only change in handgun law in NYS is the seven-round mag rule and that permits will now be renewed every five years. And that matter isn't yet settled. NY residents still enjoy the freedom to carry in bars, eateries, churches, banks... on and on. The only place where you can't carry is a school.

Tell you what...I will call your 7 round mags and raise you a fistful of 30 round mags along ith an unregistered ar15 or should I say 3 unregistered ar15's. You just hurry on to your little bar and count the bullets in your magazine. Hey you cn almost do it on one hand. Talk about who is being baby sat huh.
7 rounds on my hip is 100% better than 30 rounds in the car.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back