dON'T CALL THE COPS IN oAKLAND THEY WONT COME

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops
Dozens of layoffs effective at midnight, barring last minute deal
By LORI PREUITT and KRIS SANCHEZ
Updated 9:16 AM PDT, Tue, Jul 13, 2010
Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops | NBC Bay Area

Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if layoffs go as planned.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers will no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, car wrecks, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Some 80 officers were to be let go at midnight last night if a last-minute deal was not reached. That's about ten percent of the work force.

"I came her e to build an organization, not downsize one," said Batts, who was given the top job in October.

That deadline has been extended to 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Here's a partial list:

* burglary
* theft
* embezzlement
* grand theft
* grand theft:dog
* identity theft
* false information to peace officer
* required to register as sex or arson offender
* dump waste or offensive matter
* discard appliance with lock
* loud music
* possess forged notes
* pass fictitious check
* obtain money by false voucher
* fraudulent use of access cards
* stolen license plate
* embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
* extortion
* attempted extortion
* false personification of other
* injure telephone/ power line
* interfere with power line
* unauthorized cable tv connection
* vandalism
* administer/expose poison to another's

Negotiations are going on at Oakland City Hall in the mayor's office.

Batts said the 80 officers slated to be laid off - mostly new officers - are "pretty sad and pretty depressed," and those feelings are shared by the Police Department as a whole.

The Oakland City Council voted June 25 to eliminate the positions to help close the city's $32.5 million funding gap. According to the city of Oakland, each of the 776 police officers currently employed at OPD costs around $188,000 per year. Most of the officers who will be affected by the layoffs were on the streets of Oakland when Johannes Mehserle's involuntary manslaughter conviction caused riots last Thursday.

The sticking point in negotiations appears to be job security. The city council asked OPD officers to pay nine percent of their salary toward their pensions, which would save the city about $7.8 million toward a multi-million dollar deficit. The police union agreed, as long as the city could promise no layoffs for three years. No dice, says city council president Jane Brunner.

"We wish we could offer them a three-year no layoff protection we just can't financially. It would be irresponsible of us," Brunner said. The city agreed to a one-year moratorium on layoffs, but it is not enough for the union.

The problem is money. In the last five years, the police budget -- along with the fire department budget -- have amount to 75 percent of the general fund. After years of largely sparing those departments the budget ax, now it appears there are few other places to cut.

These are the last hours of negotiation and Brunner is hopeful that the city and police will find some sort middle ground.

"It's been very good conversation and not a whole lot of grandstanding." Brunner said. "There's actually real conversations. Each side understands the problem," she said.
First Published: Jul 12, 2010 1:27 PM PDT

While the situation for citizens will only get worse (is that possible in Oakland?); I'm certain that the police dereliction of duty will not be accepted as 'good cause' on a CCW application in Alameda County.

Unless, of course, you're a member of the 'priveleged' ...:pleasantry:

Perhaps if you need help you should call the Hells Angels. I used to hear years ago that they were pretty much in charge of the city anyway. Not sure if it was or is still true.

Perhaps if you need help you should call the Hells Angels. I used to hear years ago that they were pretty much in charge of the city anyway. Not sure if it was or is still true.

Actually, there are many recorded instances wherein the civilians LIKED having the HA clubhouse in their neighborhood. They noted that street crime fell way off due to their presence. I remember reading one case wherein a neighborhood grocer was getting continual grief from the local gangbangers. The local HA chapter finally marched down the street and whipped a few a$$e$. Problem solved.

We wouldn't need so many LEO anyway, if people were able to address a lot of these issues themselves, say by packing a piece. Course that isn't gonna happen, here.

While the situation for citizens will only get worse (is that possible in Oakland?); I'm certain that the police dereliction of duty will not be accepted as 'good cause' on a CCW application in Alameda County.

Unless, of course, you're a member of the 'priveleged' ...:pleasantry:

Just what that city needs...it's already such a cesspool, now cut back on the LE presence... Glad I am not in that area any longer!

And NDS, you are 100% correct...I worked in LE in Alameda County for many years, and you could count the # of CCWs issued by the S.O. on both hands.... VERY non-gun-friendly place there :mad:

I am afraid this scenario is going to play out over and over again all around the country. It is going to be up to us to protect our families and ourselves. We are fighting "City Hall" about our taxes and property values. A family member in a neighborhood outside Pontiac has had her property value dropped from just shy of $100k to less than $20k. Doing a compare to recent sales and other properties, her appraiser had no choice but to put her property that low. There have been many $100k properties sold at auction/foreclosure sales for $7/8k. The lists of people trying to appeal their property taxes and assessments have reached the point of multiple year waits. IMHO, We Ain't Seen nothing yet...

Just what that city needs...it's already such a cesspool, now cut back on the LE presence... Glad I am not in that area any longer!

And NDS, you are 100% correct...I worked in LE in Alameda County for many years, and you could count the # of CCWs issued by the S.O. on both hands.... VERY non-gun-friendly place there :mad:
What you mean non gun friendly? You ever hangout at 104th and East 14th? Lots of guns.

I am afraid this scenario is going to play out over and over again all around the country. It is going to be up to us to protect our families and ourselves. We are fighting "City Hall" about our taxes and property values. A family member in a neighborhood outside Pontiac has had her property value dropped from just shy of $100k to less than $20k. Doing a compare to recent sales and other properties, her appraiser had no choice but to put her property that low. There have been many $100k properties sold at auction/foreclosure sales for $7/8k. The lists of people trying to appeal their property taxes and assessments have reached the point of multiple year waits. IMHO, We Ain't Seen nothing yet...

Got that right. Even Billy O. was talking about total economic collapse, on the Factor last nite. He's finally talking like he sees B. Hussein for what he really is. And it dang well took him long enough.

You have a right to private property. You do not have a right to private property value.

If you have a property appraisal in hand for year X and a tax bill in hand for year X, but they won't do a tax reassessment until year X+Y, that's Y years they ain't getting any property tax revenue from me whatsoever if the property tax bill is calculated based on actual market value.

At least they do come here (eventually). After about 20 minutes. I've called them before and seen them scream by at high speed when I was standing on the sidewalk waiting for them. After awhile he turned around and came back. Guess he couldn't read house numbers. Must've been a dislexic cop. By the time they get here I would've already been killed or killed someone and the threat is over.

I know he felt like an ass. Once he came back about 7 minutes later he jumped out all mad and yelled "Why didn't you flag me down when I went by." I didn't answer him. I didn't have an answer that wouldn't piss him off. An this aint Houston or L.A or Miami. This is a town where you can stand at one "city limits" sign and shoot the oposite "city Limits" sign with a decent rifle.

This is why us normal people don't need guns. The police are paid to protect us.:mad:

What you mean non gun friendly? You ever hangout at 104th and East 14th? Lots of guns.

I used to work at OAK airport and live in San Leandro :hang3: The crime I saw there was mind boggeling. I am soooo glad I moved to CO out in the country. We all have guns here, the difference is here, the gun owners are the good guys! :laugh:
Fondis

This kind of crap is happening in cities all over the country! We need to stop laying off police and fire and start laying off some dam politions and pay "them" less or we're all in for a world of hurt.:angry:

This kind of crap is happening in cities all over the country! We need to stop laying off police and fire and start laying off some dam politions and pay "them" less or we're all in for a world of hurt.:angry:

So very sad... Your right we need to start with the Politicians..
This last week Detroit's City Concil voted fairly large pay raises for their staff members... In some cases up to and over $8+/hour.

Link Removed

:fie:

ok, Iceman...you got me there :pleasantry:

Jibbster, if I catch the drift correctly, I think you mean legally owned guns where as Iceman is probably talking about illegally owned guns.

So very sad... Your right we need to start with the Politicians..
This last week Detroit's City Concil voted fairly large pay raises for their staff members... In some cases up to and over $8+/hour.

Link Removed

:fie:

I guess this shows that government will ruin what "the People" created.:mad:

Jibbster, if I catch the drift correctly, I think you mean legally owned guns where as Iceman is probably talking about illegally owned guns.

handgonnetoter, EXACTLY ...the crooks are well armend, the law abiding citiznes in Alameda County have a snowballs chance in hell of obtaining a CCW :fie:

Anti Liberal Gunman shoots it out with CHP in Oakland

Link Removed
Posted: 07/18/2010 06:00:00 AM PDT
Updated: 07/18/2010 10:48:09 PM PDT

OAKLAND — A fierce gun fight between a cadre of CHP officers and a heavily armed felon with anti-government beliefs ended with the man in the hospital and some lanes on Interstate 580 closed for most of Sunday.

The Tuolumne County man, identified as 45-year-old Byron Williams, was wearing body armor and was armed with a high-powered hunting rifle, a pistol and a shotgun. He had a three-ring binder, recovered from the truck he was driving by a bomb squad robot, with the word "California" scrawled across its cover.

Police said they believed the gunfight put an end to what might have been a desperate mission by a left-wing hating man facing his third strike.

"There is no doubt in our mind, given the body armor and the extensive amount of ammunition he had, that he was on his way to do a very serious crime against either someone or a group of people," CHP Sgt. Trent Cross said.

"This was a very dramatic situation," Cross added. "To perform a routine stop and have it turn into this is basically every officer's worst nightmare."

Two CHP officers pulled Williams over shortly before midnight Saturday on westbound I-580 near Grand Avenue when Williams alledgely opened fire. Officers took cover and called for backup, and 10 officers returned fire for five to eight minutes and seriously wounded him, despite body armor he was wearing, Cross said.

Police found in the truck a suspicious object that prompted investigators to call a bomb squad to the scene. The object was detonated Sunday without mishap in the center divide of the freeway.

I-580 had to be closed in both directions for several hours to keep the controlled explosion safe. The eastbound lanes were opened about two hours later. CHP opened two left lanes of westbound I-580 around 7 p.m. All lanes are now open in both directions.

"We understand drivers (were) getting frustrated and angry, but we need to be thorough in this investigation," CHP officer Sam Morgan said. The CHP was conducting an administrative investigation side-by-side with a criminal investigation by Oakland police and the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.

Law enforcement sources said Williams has a history showing he is both anti-government and anti-corporation, and against liberal causes.

Williams, who traveled 130 miles from his Groveland home, has an extensive criminal history with at least two felonies and could face life in prison, Cross said. He was arrested Sunday on suspicion of attempted murder. He is in serious but stable condition at Highland Hospital. His background, coupled with the presence of possible explosives, was enough to prompt the FBI to get involved in the investigation, Cross said.

"Right now, this is not being looked at as a domestic terrorism case," Cross said Sunday afternoon. "But there's more evidence to go through, and that could change."

Among that evidence was a white three-ring binder recovered from the truck by a bomb squad robot. Scrawled by hand on the cover of the binder was the word, "California." Officials would not describe the contents of the binder.

Williams' drivers license is suspended and he was driving impaired by alcohol, Morgan said.

The confrontation began when a pair of CHP officers noticed a white 2006 Toyota Tundra speeding and weaving across lane markers on I-580, Morgan said. The officers pulled the truck over near the Grand Avenue exit and as one officer approached the truck, Williams began firing a pistol at both officers, Morgan said.

The officers took cover behind their squad car and called for back-up, Morgan said, adding that Williams continued to fire his pistol and rifle as more officers arrived. Ten officers returned fire and Williams, wearing a bullet-resistant vest, was shot several times, Morgan said.

The gun battle lasted between five and eight minutes on a raised portion of the freeway above a Quik Stop on Macarthur Boulevard, Morgan said. More than 60 rounds were fired.

Two officers were hurt by shards of glass when bullets shattered the windshield and driver's-side window of a squad car. They were treated at a nearby hospital and released, Morgan said.

Despite the large amount of gunfire, there were no injuries or reports of property damage from neighbors, officials said.

Mike Lozito was watching television when he heard the first shots, five loud ones that prompted him to get low and wait out the shooting from a position below his street-level windows on nearby Oakland Avenue.

"I must have heard 100, 150 rounds go off. It was insanity," Lozito said. Because of the intensity of the shooting, Lozito said he was surprised to hear it was a lone suspect.

Though police said the shooting lasted five to eight minutes, Lozito estimated the shooting last 15 to 20 minutes.

Williams' truck was registered to his mother, Janice Williams, with whom investigators believe he lives, Morgan said.

Dorothy Wothe, a neighbor in Groveland, a small town near the west entrance to Yosemite National Park, said she's never met Byron Williams, but, "When he first got out of prison, Janice had him go to church with her." Wothe said Byron Williams had also worked on the property, building a nursery for his mother's garden.

After being arrested in 2002 on suspicion of bank robbery, Williams told investigators in Chowchilla that he was planning to rob a Bank of America branch but abandoned that bank for another because of a long line and because customers and tellers laughed at the suit and blond wig he was wearing, according to local press reports at the time.

Williams alledgedly led officers on a wild chase at speeds of 100 mph before crashing his truck.

In Sunday's shootout, all 10 officers who fired their guns were placed on administrative leave, as is standard in police shootings, police said.

Reach Sean Maher at [email protected] or Mike Taugher at [email protected].

*I wonder what church Mr Williams attends?

you are correct, things will get much worse before it gets better!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back