Do you notify the front desk person at a hotel that you have a CCW Permit?

Do you inform the front desk about your CCW at check-in?

• Total voters
Seriously. Is this thread still going?
Yes. It sort remind some people not to start another similar thread. But then, I love repeats in their second or third version -- it is very entertaining to say the least.

Seriously. Is this thread still going?

Amazing. The dumbest question I've ever seen posted in these forums. What kind of idiot 'informs' *anyone* they are carrying (with the exception of LEO where required by law)? Except for those leo (only where required), it's nobody else's blankity-blank business!
Now, on the other hand, if my state had an open carry law, instead of my concealed PX4 F I'd be carrying my trusty Model 29 and a few speed loaders just for the shock factor alone.

Nope. And I don't tell cops I am carrying or have a CPL either. Reason is, I just want to go home safe to my family at night, whether it is from a traffic ticket on the way to/from work, or checking into a hotel on vacation. Telling a cop about my CPL/gun or telling a desk clerk about my CPL/gun is more likely than not going to delay the achievement of that goal.

Why would you not inform a cop while getting a traffic ticket? In the academy, cops watch video after video of other cops walking up to vehicles and being shot in the face. They walk up to your car with their hand on their gun for a reason...they have NO IDEA if your crazy or what. You really wanna find out what happens if you reach for your wallet and they catch a glimpse of a gun on your waistband. Your return home might be a little more than "delayed". My life is more important to me than making it home 10 min earlier. Then again, in SC you're legally obligated to inform.

SCresERVOIR:240624 said:
Nope. And I don't tell cops I am carrying or have a CPL either. Reason is, I just want to go home safe to my family at night, whether it is from a traffic ticket on the way to/from work, or checking into a hotel on vacation. Telling a cop about my CPL/gun or telling a desk clerk about my CPL/gun is more likely than not going to delay the achievement of that goal.

Why would you not inform a cop while getting a traffic ticket? In the academy, cops watch video after video of other cops walking up to vehicles and being shot in the face. They walk up to your car with their hand on their gun for a reason...they have NO IDEA if your crazy or what. You really wanna find out what happens if you reach for your wallet and they catch a glimpse of a gun on your waistband. Your return home might be a little more than "delayed". My life is more important to me than making it home 10 min earlier. Then again, in SC you're legally obligated to inform.

I don't inform because of officers you just described, crazy ones.

Absolutley not why would I. The guy/gal at the front desk doesn't need to be fear me so, why would I start a panic.

I must be paranoid. I have had two traffic stops (one speeding, one expired plate. I know, i know...) and both times i stated my CCW status and they could each not care less. One Omaha cop and one county sheriff. We have "notify" law here in NE and I'm paranoid I'll get popped for not telling. In working 911 dispatch for a short time, i know that cop knows if you have a permit to carry before he/he gets out of thier vehicle whether or not you divulge. Not that it would come up every time, but I'm waiting for the precidence to be set by a cop asking if the driver is carrying, say's "no" and the cop feels probable cause to search and...

Why the hell would you??? I travel (road warrior) often and always make sure they have an in-room safe, so I can store my handgun in a safe place, while I hit the pool.

Why on earth would you tell a total stranger, to whom you have no legal responsibility, that you're armed?

I don't like having to inform cops (in Ohio). There's certainly no duty to tell some private citizen.

If it's a CPZ, you shouldn't have the gun there in the first place. If it's not, it's literally none of their business.

Would you tell the counter person at Mcdonalds?

Why would you not inform a cop while getting a traffic ticket?
Because unless it's a statutory requirement, it's NONE OF HIS BUSINESS.

If I don't intend to shoot the cop, I'm not going to do it, notification or not.
If I do intend to shoot him, no notification requirement is going to stop me.

We're probably going to get rid of mandatory notification in Ohio because of abuse by cops, first in Beachwood, now famously in Canton.

Any cop who doesn't assume that EVERYBODY he stops COULD be armed AND intends to shoot him is clearly too stupid for the job.

Tin and Kevin, if you are not required by law to notify, would you tell an Leo?

Under what circumstances? I sure didn't mention it to the 2 cops at the fast food place today. In a traffic stop or some other formal contact I probably would if the circumstances dictated, but the question I was answering was whether I would inform a hotel employee, which is far different from a formal encounter with a peace officer.

Tin Can Sailor:241369 said:
Tin and Kevin, if you are not required by law to notify, would you tell an Leo?

Under what circumstances? I sure didn't mention it to the 2 cops at the fast food place today. In a traffic stop or some other formal contact I probably would if the circumstances dictated, but the question I was answering was whether I would inform a hotel employee, which is far different from a formal encounter with a peace officer.

Good answer. Since there are an abundance of reasons you could be involved in an encounter with a law enforcement officer, what circumstances would it take for you to notify? In those circumstances, why would you choose to do so?

In your opinion, what's the difference between a formal encounter with an Leo and a formal encounter with a hotel employee?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back