Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

• Yes

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • I have not make up my mind

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters
Great to have but shouldn't be relied on.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I don't understand why you would need a laser site. Your potential target in a CCW self-defense situation is likely to be no farther than 10-15 yards away. If you cannot hit a human target at that range, you shouldn't be carrying.

I don't understand why you would need a laser site. Your potential target in a CCW self-defense situation is likely to be no farther than 10-15 yards away. If you cannot hit a human target at that range, you shouldn't be carrying.
Happens to police every single day and they have a 20% hit rate in their shootings collectively. I don't care how efficient or accurate you are on the range, even out to 50 yards...you have no idea what stress and adrenaline will do to your aim in a SHTF moment. That being said, I'm not sure where a laser is going to correct that. Not saying that don't have their legitimate uses in those situations, I just can't think of one personally.

Happens to police every single day and they have a 20% hit rate in their shootings collectively. I don't care how efficient or accurate you are on the range, even out to 50 yards...you have no idea what stress and adrenaline will do to your aim in a SHTF moment.

I agree, if you are feeling like challenging yourself and have the facilities available, go for a run or do some exercises to get your heart rate up and the blood pumping then immediately empty a magazine and see how good you do. This will simulate SOME of the physical reaction to a fight or flight scenario, and will still address none of the mental aspects.

Nope for me. I tend to stay away at night as I don't do things to put me in harm's way. I am more likely to be attacked during the day when I am out. In bright sunlight, the laser would be useless.

I agree, if you are feeling like challenging yourself and have the facilities available, go for a run or do some exercises to get your heart rate up and the blood pumping then immediately empty a magazine and see how good you do. This will simulate SOME of the physical reaction to a fight or flight scenario, and will still address none of the mental aspects.

Last week I parked 2 or so miles from the range and ran in. About 15 mins. Took about 3 minutes from when I stopped running to my first shot (I had called ahead and am good friends with the range manager).

While I was able to see fairly well (no tunnel vision) and there was no time compression, I had a hell of a time staying on target through the first mag.

Other than setting that up on a routine basis, I can't see a good way of getting used to the stress of a situation.

Last week I parked 2 or so miles from the range and ran in. About 15 mins. Took about 3 minutes from when I stopped running to my first shot (I had called ahead and am good friends with the range manager).

While I was able to see fairly well (no tunnel vision) and there was no time compression, I had a hell of a time staying on target through the first mag.

Other than setting that up on a routine basis, I can't see a good way of getting used to the stress of a situation.
Being put in that type of situation on a routine basis, even simulated if you can duplicate the adrenaline rush, is the ONLY way to learn how to calmly and affectively deal with that kind of stress IMHO.

Now imagine if you were ready to fire and didn't have that 3min lag from running to shooting. I can't do any better, I was just trying to make the "hotshot" think of this in a realistic way. I applaud you for doing 2 miles in 15 minutes! I haven't been able to do that in a few years:rolleyes:

Low light situations. Some lighting doesn't play well with either steel or tritium sights. Persons who need glasses for sighting or reading may not get a good sight picture. Distance is irrelevant. Lasers are applicable at all distances however most self-defense situations occur at about 7 feet, not 15 yards. The best use of lasers is to practice trigger control using snap-caps.

I am going to buy my first hand gun for CCW and am following this closely.

It can absolutely be beneficial on a CCW. Several reasons have been mentioned here already with lighting situations, adrenaline surges, etc. I absolutely agree that you should practice with the laser and without the laser using the iron sights. Lasers are great for indoor dry firing practice as well. The primary reason I have lasers on all handguns that I carry for defensive purposes involves my family. What if the BG has ahold of your child or wife and is getting ready to cut their throat or take off with them? I would sure like to be able to put a dot on their head and pull the trigger. There are also potential situations where you might be lying on the floor, injured, and unable to get a view down your sights. It sure makes point shooting easier with a dot on the target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nope for me. I tend to stay away at night as I don't do things to put me in harm's way. I am more likely to be attacked during the day when I am out. In bright sunlight, the laser would be useless.

The red ones aren't very useful during the daytime, however some of the green ones are still quite visible in sunlight. On my little pocket BUG (Ruger LCP) I have a Viridian green laser that is very visible in the daytime at self defense ranges. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using USA Carry mobile app

Hi All, I have a lasermax on my glock 17 it replaces the spring and guide rod in the gun and I haven't had any trouble with it .

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back