Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

• Yes

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • I have not make up my mind

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters
If I wake up in the low light, without my glasses to see the sights.........hell yes, I 'm glad I have a laser!
If I'm knocked to the ground, and have to try to defend myself from that position.......hell yes, I 'm glad I have a laser!
If I have multiple attackers, and I have to move quickly from target to target............hell yes, I 'm glad I have a laser!

I can think of no 'down side' to having a laser!!!!
Just one man's humble opinion.

Now, there are some, maybe just one, who would say that with proper training you should be able to point shoot even in those conditions. As for me, I'm glad I have lasers on all of my SD pistols. I target shoot with my sights, but my laser is also set to where my pistol shoots because you never know when you might need it; and it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just remember to stay up on your batteries. CrimsonTrace will give you one new battery per unit each year, but I keep spares on hand anyway. The thing to remember is that a laser sight is just one more tool you have available to you. On three of my SD pistols I also have night sights, and on my LCP I have applied luminous nail polish because it doesn't have night sights, but in low light I would probably just use my laser. The key is practice, practice, practice.

So lets just summarize what we've learned so that we can end what has become a pointless bickering argument:

1) having a laser offers benefits with little, if any cons, aside from the price (as long as you don't come to rely on it)

2) not having a laser is not necessarily a bad thing, you'll just have to make arrangements, whether it be from practice or whatever, for low/no light situations

3) if you want to keep bickering about what you can do with or without a laser, and/or keep the nagging argument going, exchange phone numbers and have at it.

So lets just summarize what we've learned so that we can end what has become a pointless bickering argument:

1) having a laser offers benefits with little, if any cons, aside from the price (as long as you don't come to rely on it)

2) not having a laser is not necessarily a bad thing, you'll just have to make arrangements, whether it be from practice or whatever, for low/no light situations

3) if you want to keep bickering about what you can do with or without a laser, and/or keep the nagging argument going, exchange phone numbers and have at it.

Nothing satisfies like beating a dead horse. But about exchanging phone numbers, why would I want to give it to someone I don't care to know when I had to think long and hard before giving it to my wife?

Nothing satisfies like beating a dead horse. But about exchanging phone numbers, why would I want to give it to someone I don't care to know when I had to think long and hard before giving it to my wife?
I'm not saying you had to, that was just my suggestion if anyone thought that this dead horse needed anymore licks.

Howdy,

You should learn to aim & fire your weapon accuratly without depending on a crutch. Also they seem to get off calibration very easily. At the range I see these dots dancing all over targets and rarely does the round go where the dot is.
Learn to use your weapon properly. Forget the novelty items.
Also mounting a flashlight on your gun?? Yeah right. the light is an easy primary target.

+1!

Laser are a gimmick for newbies.

Paul

Newbies like Travis Haley right? Or how about Chris Costa? What about our military that uses lasers? Gimmick right, holds no benefit that can be carried over to ccw....

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

OK, if you're in the gunfight at the OK Corral (in the dark) and you have to take the time to ignite a laser that does not automatically come on by squeezing the grip, then you might be at a disadvantage.
-
If you are worried about a "clean shoot" and don't want to appear to have an advantage over the bad guy, lasers are bad.
-
If you have the opinion that any confrontation you may have will be with you and the other guy standing and facing each other at 10 paces, a laser wont help.
-
If you can open your mind enough to consider that there are circumstances where a laser might be an advantage, and that the outcome of any gunfight doesn't care whether or not you had an advantage, then you can agree that stating blatantly "lasers are bad" is dumb.
-
I'm not trying to sell you one. I really don't care if you would personally use one if you had it. To say that they are bad, or a gimmick, is just a sign that your mind is closed. I heard about a few other gimmicks, like electricity and internal combustion engines.

OK, if you're in the gunfight at the OK Corral (in the dark) and you have to take the time to ignite a laser that does not automatically come on by squeezing the grip, then you might be at a disadvantage.
-
If you are worried about a "clean shoot" and don't want to appear to have an advantage over the bad guy, lasers are bad.
-
If you have the opinion that any confrontation you may have will be with you and the other guy standing and facing each other at 10 paces, a laser wont help.
-
If you can open your mind enough to consider that there are circumstances where a laser might be an advantage, and that the outcome of any gunfight doesn't care whether or not you had an advantage, then you can agree that stating blatantly "lasers are bad" is dumb.
-
I'm not trying to sell you one. I really don't care if you would personally use one if you had it. To say that they are bad, or a gimmick, is just a sign that your mind is closed. I heard about a few other gimmicks, like electricity and internal combustion engines.

Amen! And that's why all of my carry pistols have lasers, and that little red dot sits right on top of my front sight at 15 yards, so either way I know where the hole will be when I pull the trigger.

The problem you run into with a laser is focusing far too much on where the laser dot is on the target. In a defensive situation you will come up on the short end of the stick if you are going to wait on the laser dot getting on the target. Try it at the range and you will see that the laser will almost never stay on a particular POA.

-
-
-
-

If it is dark how do you know what your laser is targeting. You could be getting ready to shoot up a bale of hay for all you know. If you can see your target a laser will just be in the way of making a decision. If you cannot see your target a laser could be pointing at anything. If you can afford night vision then a laser may be effective in a no light situation. If you cannot afford night vision then get a flashlight and skip the laser.

If it is dark how do you know what your laser is targeting. You could be getting ready to shoot up a bale of hay for all you know. If you can see your target a laser will just be in the way of making a decision. If you cannot see your target a laser could be pointing at anything. If you can afford night vision then a laser may be effective in a no light situation. If you cannot afford night vision then get a flashlight and skip the laser.
That's my accessory of choice...I got me a Streamlight TLR1-HL

Because we were not discussing flashlights. We were discussing lasers, which if you are in the habit of relying on will be useless in daylight.

Because we were not discussing flashlights. We were discussing lasers, which if you are in the habit of relying on will be useless in daylight.

Eh...green lasers do pretty well in daylight. Especially at the range you'd be using it at for self defense. I've got a 200mW green laser that I can see at 200 yards in broad daylight.

It doesn't stay the size of a pea at that distance. At about 200 yards you're looking at about a basketball sized dot or even slightly bigger.

I may look into the green version, but I don't have extra money to drop that wouldn't be better spent on ammo. I didn't think that lasers expanded over distance like flashlights did. I thought that was the purpose of them was that they maintained a "laser" focus into infinity.

I may look into the green version, but I don't have extra money to drop that wouldn't be better spent on ammo. I didn't think that lasers expanded over distance like flashlights did. I thought that was the purpose of them was that they maintained a "laser" focus into infinity.
A true laser yes that is correct. But unless you have several grand to drop, I doubt you can find a laser that doesn't expand to some degree. The nicer the laser, the better the distance vs expansion ratio gets.

Am I alone in thinking that a lot of the situations the anti-laser crowd suggest are just plain stupid? It doesn't have to be very dark for iron sights to be useless, even the night sights I have on my pistols. I guess you could just point and hope for the best, but a laser would be quite beneficial in any low light situation. The situation that prompted me to buy my first SD pistol two months ago was a low light situation. A laser is just another tool, like my night sights; will I have to take those off too to satisfy the anti's? Good grief, get over it already!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back