Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

Do you believe that a laser is beneficial on a CCW?

• Yes

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • I have not make up my mind

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters
Am I alone in thinking that a lot of the situations the anti-laser crowd suggest are just plain stupid? It doesn't have to be very dark for iron sights to be useless, even the night sights I have on my pistols. I guess you could just point and hope for the best, but a laser would be quite beneficial in any low light situation. The situation that prompted me to buy my first SD pistol two months ago was a low light situation. A laser is just another tool, like my night sights; will I have to take those off too to satisfy the anti's? Good grief, get over it already!

IT is deadly stupid to think that inside of 20 feet you will be able to put a laser on target and squeeze off a shot. Go on to the range, assume a defensive posture, and see how long it takes to get the laser on target where you want it. Do it when your adrenaline is pumping through the roof, when you are in panic mode. In a panic situation you probably won't even remember to turn the laser on. You won't have the time. I will guarantee you that a bad guy will be all over you like white on rice if you cannot get a round shot off in 2 seconds. In low light you can see your target just fine. In a darkened house you cannot see squat. A tiny laser dot does not illuminate the target before you get the red laser dot on the target. You are just peeing in the wind. Pointing a laser in a no light situation is just a wild assed guess.

IT is deadly stupid to think that inside of 20 feet you will be able to put a laser on target and squeeze off a shot. Go on to the range, assume a defensive posture, and see how long it takes to get the laser on target where you want it. Do it when your adrenaline is pumping through the roof, when you are in panic mode. In a panic situation you probably won't even remember to turn the laser on. You won't have the time. I will guarantee you that a bad guy will be all over you like white on rice if you cannot get a round shot off in 2 seconds. In low light you can see your target just fine. In a darkened house you cannot see squat. A tiny laser dot does not illuminate the target before you get the red laser dot on the target. You are just peeing in the wind. Pointing a laser in a no light situation is just a wild assed guess.

It took practice, but I'm just as fast with or without my laser. Or are you saying everyone has to be the same as you?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

You, in your infinite wisdom, are assuming anyone with a laser will be relying on it as their sole means of aiming and shooting. It is a tool, just like a flashlight. If you have it available you add to your toolbox of options. If you practice with it, you can become proficient. Do you practice shooting at the range with your flashlight? No difference.

Couldn't even find one bit of information that was helpful?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
Yeah, I learned that those who like lasers are always going to like lasers, those who hate lasers are always going to hate lasers, and those who are on the fence trying to get some unbiased opinions are screwed.

There are pro's and con's to laser use for CCW, but for what it's worth, this is synopsis of a discussion I had at a LGS a while ago.

Depending on the laser, and how it turns on, will be a determining factor of whether it will be beneficial. If you're faced with someone rushing at you, you'll barely have time to react and draw, so if you have to find the tiny button on the side of the laser with you index finger, press it, then move your finger onto the trigger with adrenaline pumping...probably not too beneficial. If, however, the button is located below the trigger guard on the grip, your middle finger will naturally be in the right place without having to 'look' for the button. As you grip the gun, the laser goes on, and you can get your trigger finger into position immediately and instinctively.

Now, lets assume that the BG has charged and you are in a hand to hand scuffle, or you have been wrestled to the ground. If your gun is in your hand and even if the assailant has your arm pinned or partially immobile, the pressure of your grip will keep the laser on and if you can move your wrist, it's likely you can get the gun pointed at the BG. Without a laser, you have absolutely no way to get your sight picture since your arm is extended or immobile....MAYBE you hit him, MAYBE you don't.....but... with the laser, if you can manipulate your wrist and see the dot on the BG... need I say more?

Yeah, I learned that those who like lasers are always going to like lasers, those who hate lasers are always going to hate lasers, and those who are on the fence trying to get some unbiased opinions are screwed.

I was on that fence at one time, but fell off on the pro-laser side when I realized that there ARE situations where lasers would be advantageous, and I learned it from Concealed Carry magazine.

I was on that fence at one time, but fell off on the pro-laser side when I realized that there ARE situations where lasers would be advantageous, and I learned it from Concealed Carry magazine.
Haha I'm glad to hear it. There's probably no way you could have ever come to any good consensus trying to wade through this BS.

My wife and I have Crimson Trace grip activated lasers on all of our handguns. We train with them on and with them turned off. When we train "carjacking" in our closed garage they can be most helpful because it's a draw and fire practice. Yes, weapons are empty!

We also use the lasers to make sure we are not lifting the firearm during live fire practice. Have someone watch and see if the laser moves during shooting, that means your firearm is moving.

I have a Springfield XD9 subcompact. My husband bought a laser for it. It attaches on the rail in front of the trigger guard. While it is fun to use at the range (terrible outside in the sun), I find that I am more accurate without it. I do think it has helped me a lot with trigger control. The biggest problem with it is my gun no longer fits in the holster.

The primary advantage I see to having a laser (with the clear assumption that it is zeroed) is that it is e plausible to find yourself in a situation where you cannot or should not use your sights... firing around cover, for example. Also on some of the smaller guns you really don't get good sights so having a laser speeds aiming considerably.

Practice is key, in any case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back