Do I tell Law Enforcement Officers?

Informing has nothing to do with respect, and everything to do with giving up Rights.

Not informing does nothing to harm those that inform.

Informing makes cops think they deserve to know who is carrying.

So while some of you guys think we should do what we do, and you should do what you do, no one is hurting each other is still wrong. Giving up your Rights, makes it harder for us who try and defend them.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

You know you're pissing in the wind right?

He wouldn't be pissing in the wind so much if he could explain why it is that only police officers deserve this "politeness" and "respect" when other people in jobs at high risk of being the victim of violent criminals are not worthy of the same "politeness" and "respect", especially when the statement is made "not treating cops as elite.." in the same post. Again, it is more evidence that people who feel the need for this "politeness" and "respect" only for LEO and not others are not doing it so much for the LEO's benefit (because it doesn't contribute to the LEO's safety one bit), but are really doing it for their own benefit. "Look at what a good guy I am! You don't REALLY want to write me that ticket that I deserve, now do you?" They don't show the convenience store clerk their permit and tell them about their gun because there isn't much chance that store clerk is going to reward them with a free coffee or candy bar. If the act of informing was done 100% for the benefit of the other person, then why is it not also done 100% for the benefit of other people who just don't happen to be LEOs?

Again I have to ask is this really that big of a deal? I am required to inform by law so in my case the decision has been made but I don't think most folks the police included really give a damn if I'm carrying a gun.

I probably wouldn't carry my handgun if I were hunting (what's the point right?) but it would be pretty stupid for the cop to walk up to my truck looking right at my duck gun in the rear window and then I have to tell him about the jframe in my pocket.

In my mind I'm envisioning getting pulled over by my cousin and handing him my card and having him go "Ademas Que?" (roughly and this changes what?)

Again I have to ask is this really that big of a deal? I am required to inform by law so in my case the decision has been made but I don't think most folks the police included really give a damn if I'm carrying a gun.

If you can't understand the big deal about requiring citizens to notify police officers of their legal possessions and legal activities then maybe you don't deserve the freedom that Americans have died for to maintain.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Friday, Feb 17, 1775

Ah... What does that make me?! I carry concealed (sometimes multiple guns!), and I don't have a permit.
Does that mean that "I'm a bad guy?".
I don't need some POS government permission slip to carry my firearms.
If you actually knew what you are talking about, you wold see just how FUBAR your "opinion" is!

Link Removed

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I agree no Permit should be required but I'm to old to get hassled.
This video is My County, poor permit holder.

Why are we villifying the cops?
There are some who equate "vilifying" and "failing to obsequiously fawn over"

I realize that there are a lot of bad apples out there, but those apples are on both sides.
The "apples" on one side have the entire armed might of the state on their side, as well as a culture of silence regarding their misdeeds.

No where did I say to be subservient to the police. They work for us.
That's funny, I've seen them on more than one occasion state quite boldly that they DON'T "work for us", but instead for their departments.

Informing has nothing to do with respect, and everything to do with giving up Rights.
What it has to do with is ritualized shows of submission.

If telling a cop you're armed (or even moreso that you have a carry credential and AREN'T armed) is a show of "respect", failing to similarly notify the girl at the counter at Wendy's is a show of CONTEMPT.

He wouldn't be pissing in the wind so much if he could explain why it is that only police officers deserve this "politeness" and "respect" when other people in jobs at high risk of being the victim of violent criminals are not worthy of the same "politeness" and "respect", especially when the statement is made "not treating cops as elite.." in the same post. Again, it is more evidence that people who feel the need for this "politeness" and "respect" only for LEO and not others are not doing it so much for the LEO's benefit (because it doesn't contribute to the LEO's safety one bit), but are really doing it for their own benefit. "Look at what a good guy I am! You don't REALLY want to write me that ticket that I deserve, now do you?" They don't show the convenience store clerk their permit and tell them about their gun because there isn't much chance that store clerk is going to reward them with a free coffee or candy bar. If the act of informing was done 100% for the benefit of the other person, then why is it not also done 100% for the benefit of other people who just don't happen to be LEOs?

Maybe it's because the cop is definitely armed and the convenience store clerk probably isn't allowed to be? It's polite to inform because you can mutually shoot each other so now you're on closer-to-equal footing, but better not with the unarmed clerk who might freak out since you don't intend to rob him? I dunno...

To clarify:

I ask of the notification advocates, if you notify the cop to show him "respect", what are you showing to the girl at Wendy's if you DON'T notify HER? Doesn't SHE deserve respect? Or is she INFERIOR to the cop and not deserving of "respect"...?

This I get, and agree wholeheartedly with. What I didn't get is what you said in the post I linked to where it seemed like you didn't sense the same absurdity when someone else sarcastically said basically the same thing to the same notification advocates. It's not a big deal, just trying to understand. Another poster has suggested that you were being sarcastic in the other thread. If that's it, fine, I just didn't read it as such.

Blues

I agree no Permit should be required but I'm to old to get hassled.
This video is My County, poor permit holder.

What the hell is so special about the LE allowed to carry openly, but this guys holster bottom shows a bit and now he's a criminal? This is absurd.

What the hell is so special about the LE allowed to carry openly, but this guys holster bottom shows a bit and now he's a criminal? This is absurd.

The cop was indeed absurd, but the citizen is not a criminal now. That vid is from 2009 and the citizen's charge of OC'ing (specifically against the law in FL) was dismissed shortly after the arrest, according to PoliceOne.com (and probably lots of other sites I didn't bother with in the search results for the case).

The citizen, Joel Smith, has Link Removed to file a federal civil rights suit against the cop in that vid, a Sargent, their Sheriff and the County.

Smith and FL Carry attempted to file a complaint locally trying to just force some extra training on the JBT in the vid, but the Sheriff delayed an official inquiry so long that it reached the "statute of limitations" (within the department), so the JBT got away scot-free on a technicality.

Anyway, Smith is not a criminal now and never has been (at least as it relates to that video), and he may win a large settlement behind the humiliation and abuse he suffered. Root for him.

Blues

The cop was indeed absurd, but the citizen is not a criminal now. That vid is from 2009 and the citizen's charge of OC'ing (specifically against the law in FL) was dismissed shortly after the arrest, according to PoliceOne.com (and probably lots of other sites I didn't bother with in the search results for the case).

The citizen, Joel Smith, has Link Removed to file a federal civil rights suit against the cop in that vid, a Sargent, their Sheriff and the County.

Smith and FL Carry attempted to file a complaint locally trying to just force some extra training on the JBT in the vid, but the Sheriff delayed an official inquiry so long that it reached the "statute of limitations" (within the department), so the JBT got away scot-free on a technicality.

Anyway, Smith is not a criminal now and never has been (at least as it relates to that video), and he may win a large settlement behind the humiliation and abuse he suffered. Root for him.

Blues

Correct, and if you notice, the suit was just filed in July of this year.

this is the only thing that you have right

Did you notice my first word was "maybe?" I was speculating on the thoughts behind informing an LEO and not a store clerk. I did not say that is what I thought.

Don't know about anyone else, but I find that if I understand the point of view behind the opposing school of thought, it makes for not only a better discussion but provides a much better chance of changing someone's mind. I'm trying to understand the "we need to inform LEO's" crowd, not agreeing with them.

I was hoping the very uncertainty of my questions would show that informing is not what I agree with... Apparently not. Tone is difficult online, as I have obviously just experienced, so I'm going to assume you weren't attempting to be insulting, even though it does sound like you were. :smile:

Blues

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update Blues.

As soon as they run your license, they'll know you have a CCW. I've always been told to hand over the CCW along the license and registration. If you don't, they may ask you about it anyway.
Not all states have a link between DMV and permits. NY does not so he has no idea if the person to whom the car is registered has a gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back