Do I tell Law Enforcement Officers?

I was just wondering when and under what situations are you required to inform LEO that you are carrying?

Stop wondering and follow the laws of your state. You should have learned this in your concealed carry class.

I was just wondering when and under what situations are you required to inform LEO that you re carrying?

My son-in-law was stopped 2 weeks ago. The officer while talking to him said, "that he saw by his record that he had a motorcycle license, no prior tickets, and that he had a concealed carry license." Son-in-law answered that the CCW license was his wife's. The officer answered "good for her". This CCW information was in the computer when the officer ran the car license. Our state is Va.

If my daughter were in the car, would he have asked her "if she was carrying?" Anyway, the officer, will already know that the car owner(s) could be carrying.

My son-in-law was stopped 2 weeks ago. The officer while talking to him said, "that he saw by his record that he had a motorcycle license, no prior tickets, and that he had a concealed carry license." Son-in-law answered that the CCW license was his wife's. The officer answered "good for her". This CCW information was in the computer when the officer ran the car license. Our state is Va.

If my daughter were in the car, would he have asked her "if she was carrying?" Anyway, the officer, will already know that the car owner(s) could be carrying.

Not in every state, it varies state to state.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

As soon as they run your license, they'll know you have a CCW. I've always been told to hand over the CCW along the license and registration. If you don't, they may ask you about it anyway.

Some, not all states tie your DL and your CWP together, one of such that does is VA.

We did a poll thread on this a month ago. See here. Almost 80% of USA Carry respondents advise to not disclose unless the law in that state requires disclosure.

You are required to notify in 10 states. They are Alaska,Arkansas,Louisiana,Michigan,Nebraska,North Carolina,Ohio,Oklahoma,South Carolina and Texas.

If I'm not in one of those 10 states, I do not notify the LEO. If asked directly, I give an honest answer.

I was just wondering when and under what situations are you required to inform LEO that you are carrying?

I'm taking a big assumption you are from NC because of your screen name. You really should post what state you are talking about when asking legal questions. The link I'm giving you is a brief synopsis of the handgun laws in NC: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

This next link is the actual law concerning firearms in NC as of Aug 2013: http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2013 NC Firearms Laws.pdf

Read them, know them, obey them if you wish to remain law-abiding. In NC you are required to notify LE if you are detained. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html

If you choose to go to any other state that recognizes your NC permit/license, then do similar research. Cuz, Deputy Barney Fife ain't too concerned whether you actually know the law or not.

During a traffic stop I'm not required by law to disclose. However, when the officer runs my drivers license it will show that I have a CC permit. Therefore, I would disclose as soon as he / she came up to my vehicle.

Thanks for this thread. I just finished the Personal Protection in the Home course yesterday and we talked about this subject in depth. Good to read more about it though.

More often than not, by the time the LEO pulls up behind you with his lights flashing, your registration details will already been know to the officer that you are a CCW licensee. In some states, the CCW is linked to a driver's license only. Whether or not you are obligated to inform the officer if you are carrying is based on your state's laws.

NVBB

More often than not, by the time the LEO pulls up behind you with his lights flashing, your registration details will already been know to the officer that you are a CCW licensee. In some states, the CCW is linked to a driver's license only. Whether or not you are obligated to inform the officer if you are carrying is based on your state's laws.

NVBB

please, if you are going to post on these forums try to know what you are talking about.

While LEO bias is as varied as that of any other group, presenting your CCW, whether or not you live in a state that requires one, with your license, registration and insurance card tends to tip the scales in your favor: Generally speaking, 'good guys' have CCWs, 'bad guys' don't. In states like Alaska, the law includes a 'duty to inform' the LEO if you are in possession of a firearm, in states like Arizona, there is no such 'duty' - but while the LEO may lie to you with impunity, lying to the LEO is a criminal offense.

More often than not, by the time the LEO pulls up behind you with his lights flashing, your registration details will already been know to the officer that you are a CCW licensee. In some states, the CCW is linked to a driver's license only. Whether or not you are obligated to inform the officer if you are carrying is based on your state's laws. NVBB
99% inaccurate for 2 reasons: 1. Very few states, like only 1 or 2, tie CCW Permit information to license plates. The officer would have to do an entirely separate request for CCW Permit information after they obtained name and address of the registered owner from the license plates. 2. The officer has no idea who the driver of a vehicle is from the license plate info. They only know who the driver is after they obtain identification (or personally recognize them).

Generally speaking, 'good guys' have CCWs, 'bad guys' don't.

Ah... What does that make me?! I carry concealed (sometimes multiple guns!), and I don't have a permit.
Does that mean that "I'm a bad guy?".
I don't need some POS government permission slip to carry my firearms.
If you actually knew what you are talking about, you wold see just how FUBAR your "opinion" is!

Link Removed

Sent from behind enemy lines.

While LEO bias is as varied as that of any other group, presenting your CCW, whether or not you live in a state that requires one, with your license, registration and insurance card tends to tip the scales in your favor: Generally speaking, 'good guys' have CCWs, 'bad guys' don't. In states like Alaska, the law includes a 'duty to inform' the LEO if you are in possession of a firearm, in states like Arizona, there is no such 'duty' - but while the LEO may lie to you with impunity, lying to the LEO is a criminal offense.

another clueless newbie!
you are free to do as you like however dispensing piss poor info is frowned upon.

Ah... What does that make me?! I carry concealed (sometimes multiple guns!), and I don't have a permit.
Does that mean that "I'm a bad guy?".

All depends on who's asking, and where you are... some of the cops nowadays might think you're a "bad guy!" :sarcastic: Sure hope none of them vacation in VT without looking up the rules!

I must admit, if I didn't love Colorado so much, and didn't dislike the weather around the east coast so vehemently, I'd be very tempted to join you in Vermont.

I must admit, if I didn't love Colorado so much, and didn't dislike the weather around the east coast so vehemently, I'd be very tempted to join you in Vermont.

The "door" is always open for you if you should change your mind!

(We'll leave a light on for you too!)

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

My wife and I went to Charleston, SC from MN the last part of September and into the first 2 weeks of October. I knew we would be traveling through 15 states so before we left I went to Link Removed and checked out the laws. I wanted to know what state I must inform, carry in a restaurant, rest stops and such. I printed all this info out so I could have it handy before I entered each state. I did not have any problems with LE while on this trip. But I knew it was up to me to know the laws.

The only people who do not have to know the laws are the LEOs.

please, if you are going to post on these forums try to know what you are talking about.

I think Kansas is probably like this. The CCW license is issued by the DMV and looks almost exactly like a driver's license. Either is legal ID. And that may be why in Kansas you don't have to inform, because they already know.
I'm not saying it's the same in every state, I know it's not. In fact almost every one is different. So just know your own state laws and you'll get along fine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back