Define Concealed

captblack

I am new here and this topic has probably been hashed and rehashed for years but ...

Define "concealed". I am in GA and don't worry about it but I am close to FL and they seem to be strict about seeing the shape or outline of the weapon through clothing.

If I have my t-shirt covering the holster completly, is that concealed if you can still identify the buldge as a gun?

Thanks for the feedack ...

Welcome to the Forum! Each state is different on printing. Since GA is an Open Carry state with a permit I don't think you have anything to worry about. Someone with more info on this will probably chime in. . In SC there's nothing in our law that addresses printing directly so I don't worry about it. As long as the butt of the firearm is covered you are good to go here. If you don't get an answer you can check your GA laws in the GA forum. Georgia Discussion and Firearm News

Sorry I misread your post. Basically CC is having a firearm hidden from view while having control of your firearm. I've never worried about printing while in other states but I do try to keep it to a minimum. There's only I think about 6 or 7 states that don't allow some type of OC so printing isn't much of an issue in most states. Just because you have a slight bulge under your clothing doesn't mean you have a firearm. My wife had a bulge showing sometimes but its not a firearm it's her Insulin Pump. If you are not sure then just try to keep it to a minimum.

I am new here and this topic has probably been hashed and rehashed for years but ...

Define "concealed". I am in GA and don't worry about it but I am close to FL and they seem to be strict about seeing the shape or outline of the weapon through clothing.

If I have my t-shirt covering the holster completly, is that concealed if you can still identify the buldge as a gun?

The gun has to be hidden from view. I have met fellow CCW holders in FL and they say anything goes but I am all about concealing without conspicuity. You should also make sure that your CCW license is on you, in case you are questioned by a LEO.

I recommend this book for anyone who has a gun (FL and otherwise):

Link Removed

The less likely it is for someone to guess you have a weapon the better. My favorite NRA Instructor has pointed to where he carries, and I've watched him on many occasions, but never had a clue he was carrying, even knowing exactly where to look.

My favorite NRA Instructor has pointed to where he carries, and I've watched him on many occasions, but never had a clue he was carrying, even knowing exactly where to look.
That's the ideal. Where, what and how does he carry, if you know?

Here this is off of the Florida website for concealed weapons

Florida Statutes, defines concealed weapons or firearms as those carried in a manner that conceals them from the ordinary sight of another person.

Websters definition :pleasantry:

Definition of Concealed
Con`cealed´
a. 1. Hidden; kept from sight; secreted

Somtimes its easier to say what its not. In GA Open is considered when an average person can tell with out a doubt that it IS a firearm. To me that means everything else is concealed. but I am not a lawyer.

When I conceal it means I am concealed and no one knows that I have a firearm sometimes even my wife wont know till she puts her arm around my waist but other times I OC and I dont worry about the conceal part. There is a time and place for everything including OC vs CC or vise versa.

Ohh and by the way welcome to the Forums.

The fact is, we CC folks think a lot more about guns than do others. When someone that is not into guns sees another person, the first thing they do ISN'T to check them out to see if they are carrying a GUN! LOL!!

If you are wearing a Speedo and trying to conceal a small Kel-Tec P3AT, that might be a different matter. IT WILL look like a gun in a Speedo! LOL!

Other than that, I wouldn't be too concerned. If the gun is covered, it's concealed.

The fact is, we CC folks think a lot more about guns than do others. When someone that is not into guns sees another person, the first thing they do ISN'T to check them out to see if they are carrying a GUN! LOL!!

If you are wearing a Speedo and trying to conceal a small Kel-Tec P3AT, that might be a different matter. IT WILL look like a gun in a Speedo! LOL!

Other than that, I wouldn't be too concerned. If the gun is covered, it's concealed.

Exactly I agree 100% I think it gets to a point for those who carry (I know I do)
Every where we go we think that everyone is looking right at our belt or pocket or where ever the gun we have is ,
And I would be willing to bet that like you said they are looking and thinking more of why he is wearing blue pants with a brown shirt :sarcastic:eek:r why is he wearing flip flops with green pants or he has a lot of tattoos etc etc.:wacko:

you said it best If the gun is covered, it's concealed

Exactly I agree 100% I think it gets to a point for those who carry (I know I do)
Every where we go we think that everyone is looking right at our belt or pocket or where ever the gun we have is ,
And I would be willing to bet that like you said they are looking and thinking more of why he is wearing blue pants with a brown shirt :sarcastic:eek:r why is he wearing flip flops with green pants or he has a lot of tattoos etc etc.:wacko:

you said it best If the gun is covered, it's concealed

Most of the sheep will never notice it, they seldom do. You carry so you will tend to look for it. I carry OWB at times with a large .45 or a medium K frame 357 revolver and just an open flannel shirt over it all. I have yet to have an issue. If it is noticed most will think LEO or to that effect.

Peace...

In Texas if you can see the out line of the gun, in other word if you can tell under you garment from the shape that it is a gun then it is not concealed. That is called printing.

That's the ideal. Where, what and how does he carry, if you know?

He carries a Glock at 5:00 position. I think he carries a 9mm, but he was talking about the 30SF when it came out. I don't know what kind of holster.

In Texas if you can see the out line of the gun, in other word if you can tell under you garment from the shape that it is a gun then it is not concealed. That is called printing.

I know what printing is, but If the gun is covered, it's concealed. Printing is a guncarrier term, not a legal one....at least that is the way I understand it to be. Are you saying that in Texas, the word"printing" is in the law there?

I know what printing is, but If the gun is covered, it's concealed. Printing is a guncarrier term, not a legal one....at least that is the way I understand it to be. Are you saying that in Texas, the word"printing" is in the law there?

What I am say is that even if it is covered if it is easy to tell that bulge is a gun by the shape of the imprint then it is not concealed and then technically could be in violation of the law. What is easily detectable most likely would be up to the officer. In Texas when they say concealed it means no one should know or be able to tell you have a gun on.

Texas concealment requirement

Tex. Penal Code § 46.035(a) provides:
A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

Tex. Penal Code § 6.03(a) provides:
A person acts intentionally, or with intent, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to a result of his conduct when it is his conscious objective or desire to engage in the conduct or cause the result.

Tex. Gov. Code § 411.171(3) provides:
"Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

Finally, self-defense is a defense to a charge of failing to conceal a handgun.
It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.
Tex. Gov. Code § 46.035(h).

Therefore, to violate the duty of a CHL holder to conceal a handgun, the licensee would have to carry on or about his or her person a handgun, the presence of which is openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person, with the conscious objective or desire to make the handgun's presence openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person, except when justified by law in using deadly force. Obviously, lesser conduct could trigger an LEO encounter and possible charges. However, to convict, there is a rather high bar the state would have to meet.

So there is no law about "printing". The first statute you listed was to say that you can't open carry. It said nothing about "printing".

What I am say is that even if it is covered if it is easy to tell that bulge is a gun by the shape of the imprint then it is not concealed and then technically could be in violation of the law. What is easily detectable most likely would be up to the officer. In Texas when they say concealed it means no one should know or be able to tell you have a gun on.

I don't believe that is against the law. many things can be placed under a shirt, or blouse, and "look" like whatever the viewer "wants" it to like like. If it is covered, it's concealed. If the butt of the gun shows in plain sight, it is not concealed.

Like i said before though, there are times when "printing" shows exactly what is there. Those times would be when you are wearing a yellow Speedo and carrying a pistol in the Speedos. In that case, "Printing" definitely shows what you are carrying. It is then deemed to be NOT concealed. LOL!! And this adds yet another version of "he's packing". LOL!!~

Concealed is concealed,the less people know the less chance of having a problem !!!!!!!!!!!:pleasantry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back