Daughters

meatsandwich

I have to little girls that loved to learn about guns and shot them too. My oldest came to me about a month ago and told me guns are for boys. She knows her mom shoots all the time, I went and got videos of female shooters and sat down with her and watched them. When I go to the range she has to go cuz she is to young to stay home, she is really excited & gets all set up to shoot but then she walks away saying that she is a girl & girls dont shoot guns. I dont want to force anything on her but I know she want s to do it & its her friends are telling her that girls dont shoot. Any suggestions on how to convince her that its ok for girls to shoot?

There is no reason to lie just tell mom that shooting is a very important skill everyone especially girls should learn. Who knows she may need those skills in the future. Take your wife out shooting along with your girls. She might just enjoy it.

I'm with justxboxin, If mom likes shooting, have them make a girl's range day together. Have mom invite more female friends. If she sees other femailes that she can look up to and relate to, she'll realize shooting isn't a just a boys sport. Most beginner girls that I've known to try shooting, are better than the beginner guys I've seen. Good luck!

Just tell explain to your daughter that other than the whole "Birds and Bee's parts of life... there is nothing that's just for boys or for girls... Sporting activities are for everyone.

I have a little girl as well. She's still way too young to go shooting, seeing as we just had her 2nd birthday, but once she's old enough she'll learn how to shoot... whether she enjoys it and takes it further than learning the basics is up to her... but she's going to learn the basics and learn to respect firearms.

Find out who told her that guns were just for boys and give him a good talking too. If anything guns are for girls. I have three beautiful daughters and they are all very involved in shooting. My wife and I both stress this with them. In fact, I would be very comfortable with my girls getting CCW's when they are 21. If a 21 year old boy is attacked, they probably just want his wallet. If a 21 year old girl is attacked....

My middle daughter was terrified of guns. She was never one for loud noises.

With a confirmed empty firearm, i showed her how to safely hold it and we went over the safety rules slowly. It helped that her big sister was there and was very comfortable around firearms.

In no time, she was at the range and really enjoyed herself. Now, when it's time for Daddy-Daughter-Date-Night, she wants to head to the range. She has her own Marlin 60 and also shoots a Phoenix HP 22A that I have. She attends appleseed shoots with me all the time and really enjoys it.

Moral of the story, ease her into it at her own pace.

I didn't care for guns when I was younger. My Mom taught me to shoot, but it wasn't something I particularly looked forward to. Once I got older and needed to feel secure and like I could protect myself, I got into it again. I'd say teach her the basics and don't worry. She'll come around if it's something right for her.

I have 11 & 14 yo girls that both love to shoot, and here's what they say:
First, find out who is trying to influence her. It could even be a teacher. If it is her friends, that's gonna be hard to beat. If they have friends that come from anti-gun homes it could be from that. Second, try to get them into "shooting girls" websites. Get her some "cute shooting stuff" (my girls words!).
My girls don't have a mother around but I agree with the entire family (including mom and dad) hitting the range together. They see that mom likes shooting too that may make a difference. But if she continues to balk, don't make her or she may just resent it more.
Hope that helps some.

Get a book or movie about Annie Oakley and just leave it lying around.
See if there is an Appleseed Shoot in your area.
If you have 4H in your area they should have a shooting program for kids.
Ask around the range for other young girls that shoot or programs that include girls.
You might want to figure a way to get her interested in the female Olympic shooting sports, this might be a place to start Link Removed

Kids get dumb ideas in their mind. It's their job! A gentle program of awareness will wake her up.

jessieabbatex350.jpg

A boys sport? Think again.

Link Removed

@ OP: Does she have her own gun yet? Not saying anything like a full AR just with pink furniture. There are plenty of kiddie-scale bolt action .22s in both short and LR that you could get her into shooting with. Some even have pink stocks.

The thing that makes me mad is she was learning so much about guns. She can tear down my firearms & clean it, then put it back together. She shocked the local gun dealer by telling him about a couple guns he had and about ammo that she thought was better to use. She will be 10 in about 2 months. she knows alot about firearms and I just dont want her to ruin it. I had bought her a 22lr revolver and a Ruger 10/22. I have taken her friends shooting & they enjoyed it. I can tell she wants to shoot but then again there is something there where shes afraid to. I will keep asking her to go shooting & I will try the mommy & daughter shoot. Thanks everyone.

I have to little girls that loved to learn about guns and shot them too. My oldest came to me about a month ago and told me guns are for boys. She knows her mom shoots all the time, I went and got videos of female shooters and sat down with her and watched them. When I go to the range she has to go cuz she is to young to stay home, she is really excited & gets all set up to shoot but then she walks away saying that she is a girl & girls dont shoot guns. I dont want to force anything on her but I know she want s to do it & its her friends are telling her that girls dont shoot. Any suggestions on how to convince her that its ok for girls to shoot?

You've already gotten some very sound advice on the issue, and one person actually posted a photo of Jessie Abbate. Now, I'm I huge fan of Jessie, ever since she began serious Cowboy Shooting as "Jasmine Jessie", but now she is a serious, professional shooter on the USPSA circuit. Search on YouTube for additional videos of Jessie while she teaches and talks about firearms. Here's the video link to one short video. Jessie is very fast and very accurate. And Jessie is all girl.

Of course, there are other female shooters, but I think younger girls would look-up to Jessie more than the older pros. Jessie recently won the Women's National Action Pistol Championship at the 2010 Bianchi Cup in Columbia, Missouri just before she was signed by Smith & Wesson to be on their professional shooting team. Next to the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), I consider Team S&W to be the best out there. And it is full of women as well as men.

I don't mean to suggest that your daughter needs to be in competition, but there are some very good role models out there who may be able to break through to her.

Best of luck.

Just tell explain to your daughter that other than the whole "Birds and Bee's parts of life... there is nothing that's just for boys or for girls... Sporting activities are for everyone.

I have a little girl as well. She's still way too young to go shooting, seeing as we just had her 2nd birthday, but once she's old enough she'll learn how to shoot... whether she enjoys it and takes it further than learning the basics is up to her... but she's going to learn the basics and learn to respect firearms.
And this is not an advice but a statement..I like the way you think...:smile:

Overcame a similar issue with oldest daughter....Enrolled her in some junior shooting competition with pellet rifle..We moved up from there to 22cal and then to handguns...Don't force her and don't put a 45 in her hands as it will only scare her away....
The old saying Slow and Low......Let her advance at her speed with a low caliber weapon.

I must preface that I don't have any children, but I have taught moms and dads with daughters in my firearm classes before. Some of the daughters were standoffish at first, but then really get into it.

Your thought and reasoning behind why she doesn't want to shoot are good. You are not wanting to push her, and I commend you for that. It has been shown that time is your friend. Your daughter has came a long way from not wanting anything to do with guns, to helping you set up. Peer pressure can be a hard thing, especially for gender roles. Imagine how a boy would feel if his mother taught him how to knit, or what would happen if anyone found out at school?

There are several ways you could approach this:

(1) Continue the current route you're on. Slowly, but probably surely, she will change her mind with time.
(2) Try to have her associate with very feminine women (pink guns, makeup, pedicures, manicures) who shoot at the gun club by introducing her to their daughters. The daughters don't necessarily have to shoot.
(3) Call the woman only firearm instructor, explain the situation, and have your daughter drop by the class and have the students introduce themselves.
(4) Call the local ranges and shooting clubs. Ask to be put in touch with local women competition shooters, explain the situation and if they could take her shooting.
(5) Have your wife take your daughter out, and make a girly day of it. Have them go the spa, have their nails done, or go out to dinner.
(6) Combination of the above.

You've gotten a lot of great advice. My dad taught my brother & I growing up. We mostly grew up target shooting w/ our 10-22's.

I personally find it discouraging and annoying that some girls / women get this "guns is a guy thing" too. I don't know where it comes from, but those stupid t-shirts with those sayings on them, out there don't help.

I use my hero Annie Oakley as an example, (she was an amazing shot as well as a true gentlewomen), for my students, (who's family &/or friends were able to bring to the class).

I suspect its the myth that women shooters look or appear less feminine or ladylike. That's why I tend to dress up whenever I teach &/or go to the gun shows. Specifically to dispel that tomboy imagery for other women.

I have a slightly different take on this. Now might be a good time to back off. Kids know when you're "campaigning" for something, even if it's done in the clever and subtle ways suggested by other contributors here. Make sure she knows that you think she's a great kid even though she might not share all your personal interests. Be real patient. Let her come to you for the next range outing.

Above all, don't worry, and give her plenty of time to work through the personal challenge of "what girls should and shouldn't do." If you give her space, I'll bet her interest in shooting will, in the end, be stronger than before.

And yes, I'm a father -- sons 12 and 13, and daughter, 18.

Cheers,
Dr. Detroit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back