CCW Holder shot by LVMPD - Justified?????

danfordman

A West Point grad was shopping at Costco when a customer noticed he was carry a concealed weapon and called police. Las Vegas Police shot and killed the man. The family of the CCW holder said he was complying with police commands. You be the judge. here's the link:
Link Removed

well... i will say that if your carrying a weapon you better act accordingly, defy that as you may. If you are confronted by POLICE with aggression (Guns Drawn), targeting you as a suspicious person with a weapon, and giving you verbal commands, YOU BETTER COMPLY... GAME OVER

Don't be an IDIOT!!! Don't put your hand on your weapon, don't reach in your pocket, don't go for your waist band... Your hands should go up in the air... you know, REACH FOR THE SKY PARTNER, then do exactly as police instruct you to, at this point in time the POLICE are in charge and the more they see you comply... the more the situation deescalates and tension starts to drop.

Every CCW person should be instructed this in training, i go over this because as a civilian CARRYING A WEAPON you may be mistaken for a suspect, you may be reported as a MAN CARRYING A GUN, you must be ready to be on the wrong side of the law while carrying a gun and know how to react until POLICE render you safe and sort out the details.

People do not walk around with signs or wear uniforms stating...GOOD GUY.... BAD GUY.

Isn't that when you are supposed to flash your CCW badge? :yu:

In all seriousness... I don't think we have nearly enough evidence to speculate whether or not the shooting was justified.

Isn't that when you are supposed to flash your CCW badge? :yu:

In all seriousness... I don't think we have nearly enough evidence to speculate whether or not the shooting was justified.

I agree. There needs to be more about what actually happened. Judging by the tone of the story, I got a bad feeling it was going to be one of those where the security tapes either "Got lost" or just weren't "working that day." I really hope I'm wrong, though.

My post stands on its own merit...

Justified or not, my post is sound advice, whether this poor guy's death is justified or bad shooting by police... he still could of did something wrong or questionable. I guarantee if he was approached by officers with guns drawn or not, he be alive today if his hands were in the air and/or he complied.

The police can be justified if he went for his waistband directing his hand on or near his weapon, even if his intent was to just show he's carrying, this can make the cops right and him wrong without the any intent to threaten the officers.

This type of training comes under classroom instructions on safety.

It makes no difference if you are justified if you are dead. Do everything you can to to protect yourself and go home alive to your family at the end of the day. If the police are in the wrong hire a good attorney later and take some of the cities money.

I agree, not enough to form a solid opinion...seems to me that the decedent's behavior may have been part of what prompted the calls to the police in the first place...would like to hear more on this part of the story.

I can't put a lot of credence in the witness statements that they fired prematurely, because unless you are the one with the gun in your hand trying to order someone to the ground who reaches into his waistband, it's very easy to say that the "suspect" wasn't given enough time.

The answer to the question "why were the cops there in the first place?" holds sway for me at this point. Although I do agree there may be some details needed to shed more light. I suspect the guy was a troublemaker and got alot more than he bargained for when he decided to do whatever it was he was doing that day. :hang3:

The answer to the question "why were the cops there in the first place?" holds sway for me at this point. Although I do agree there may be some details needed to shed more light. I suspect the guy was a troublemaker and got alot more than he bargained for when he decided to do whatever it was he was doing that day. :hang3:

I am watching every segment released on this incident. The Lead Investigators response in the public interview was " Oh Yeah, I know this is going to be brought up. Yes, he did have a firearm.", smirk on face and not very informative. The family, friends, and co-workers are speaking out more than the Police dept. and they are portraying a much different picture of the man shot and killed. Too soon to tell, not enough info, all we can do is follow the story for now.

+1 Gunsite!

He has it right, when the police weapons are trained on you your hands go in the air. Forget ego; go home to your family.

To soon to form a judgement on this but I hope that the dead guy provoked the police because if he in fact didnt where does that leave all of us??
:hang3:

To many conflicting reports about this incident. Several reports from the media contradict their other stories. Like this one:

"LAS VEGAS -- A shooting at a Costco in Summerlin is raising questions about concealed weapons permits.

Erik Scott was gunned down when police say he refused to drop a weapon he had on him. But Scott's friends and family say he had a concealed weapons permit and was knowledgeable with the laws."

So now he didn't point the gun at officers? I think the video will clear this up fast. It's hard to believe a military veteran, West Point Grad who had a masters degree from Duke University would make this kind of a royal screw up.

I want to see the video...

The stores security tapes will tell the story...unless they go missing or get erased.

Las Vegas Metro PD are well known to shoot first, and ask questions later. Also, NV is an open carry state just FYI.

I agree with NavyLT. If we had a surveillance video instead of a CBS news report that would be a million times better. I can't make an educated arguement for or against the guy until I see what actually happened.

+1 Gunsite!

He has it right, when the police weapons are trained on you your hands go in the air. Forget ego; go home to your family.

To soon to form a judgement on this but I hope that the dead guy provoked the police because if he in fact didnt where does that leave all of us??
:hang3:

Well, I think that we ALL know where that leaves us. It just seems like some of us are taking longer to realize than others.

I am watching every segment released on this incident. The Lead Investigators response in the public interview was " Oh Yeah, I know this is going to be brought up. Yes, he did have a firearm.", smirk on face and not very informative. The family, friends, and co-workers are speaking out more than the Police dept. and they are portraying a much different picture of the man shot and killed. Too soon to tell, not enough info, all we can do is follow the story for now.

Well, even the gang bangers that get shot have family and friends who sit around talking about how great their guy was, and how he wouldn't have hurt a fly. Of course, most of them are not honorably serving West Point grads, either.

I will be interested to see how this plays out. Bad for CCW, no matter what, I'm afraid.

I'm not ever going to taunt police if Im confronted with guns drawn. hands up, on the ground, follow commands.

I can get an attorney later, file a civil suit for unlawful detainment, unreasonable search and seizure, etc.

I'll be on an island of my own with shot's of tequila brought to me by a half nekid female of my choosing. :biggrin:

Well, even the gang bangers that get shot have family and friends who sit around talking about how great their guy was, and how he wouldn't have hurt a fly. Of course, most of them are not honorably serving West Point grads, either.

I will be interested to see how this plays out. Bad for CCW, no matter what, I'm afraid.

Very True, But this is a particulary interesting incident because unless there's something we don't know the CCW owner has extensive training in weapons use, I would venture to say even more than police. here's todays news updates:

Link Removed

I am not trying to badger either side this one is a good guy against good guy case. Although I watched the interview with the lead investigator and he said " when you have an individual reaching towards his waistband then you have to assume he is a threat and take appropriate actions" again very vauge and dancing around the main question, was he holding a gun or just carrying?

I found this update on the story: No video Yet

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Erik Scott
Shot by Las Vegas police

Shoppers on Monday haul their purchases to the parking lot of the Summerlin Costco, 801 S. Pavilion Center Drive, where 39-year-old Erik Scott was shot and killed by police on Saturday. A security camera, upper right, is positioned to capture events at the store’s exit.
K.M. CANNON/LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Erik Scott, who was described by Las Vegas police as "kind of going berserk" before he was fatally shot by officers in front of a Costco store on Saturday, did not appear out of control to one witness who saw the man interacting with store employees.

In a news release issued Monday, police said Scott, 39, was "acting erratically" and "damaging merchandise" while inside the store in Summerlin. He also was seen with a pistol on him, police said. Police were called to the store about the incident, which ended with Scott's death. Shots were fired by three officers, including one who was involved in a fatal shooting in 2006.

But a witness the Review-Journal interviewed Monday, a 72-year-old man who spoke on the condition that his name not be used, said Scott did not appear to be doing anything nefarious.

Scott was crouched down with a backpack in front of him in a sporting goods aisle, the witness said. Scott had taken a large package of sport drink bottles off the shelf and placed it on the floor in front of him. He had torn open the package to get at the contents and was placing the bottles in and out of the backpack.

"It was like he was trying it out," the man said. "I think possibly he was trying to see if it would fit in his backpack."

A Costco employee confronted Scott in the aisle, and the witness said Scott's voice was "elevated." He couldn't hear what was being said. The witness did not see a gun on Scott.

But when the witness walked by Scott, he heard him say to the employee, "Well, I can do that in Texas."

"After we walked down the aisle, my wife said, 'That's a funny thing for him to say,' and I agreed," the witness said.

In retrospect, the 72-year-old man said he believed Scott's comment about Texas was a reference to being allowed to carry a concealed handgun.

When the couple rounded the corner of the aisle, they saw a second Costco employee who appeared to be talking on a Bluetooth headset while observing Scott and the other employee.

Roughly five minutes later, the man said, he heard an announcement on the store's intercom asking everyone to leave the building.

Scott was shot while following the crowd out of the store.

Several witnesses interviewed by the Review-Journal have said they did not see a gun and did not see Scott reach for a gun when police confronted him outside the store.

But the 72-year-old man, in addition to another witness reached Monday, said they did see the weapon and did see Scott reach for it.

Police have said that Scott drew a pistol and pointed it at officers after they ordered him to raise his hands and lie on the ground. Both witnesses gave their accounts to homicide investigators, they said.

The 72-year-old man heard police say, "Get on the ground. Get on the ground." He saw Scott facing the officers, who were between Scott and the store entrance.

The man said he saw Scott reach with his right hand and pull out what appeared to be a gun in a zippered holster. He recognized the holster, he said, because he has one like it. Officers then fired, and the man saw the gun fall out of Scott's hand. The witness did not see Scott point the gun at officers.

"I feel sorry for the guy, but he just made a dumb move," the 72-year-old man said.

The second witness, who also spoke on the condition that his name not be used, was standing near the entrance when he said he heard police shout, "Get down on the ground. Get down now."

He turned to see why police were yelling, he said, and saw Scott reaching for what appeared to be a pistol in his waistband. The witness said he recognized the butt of the gun and immediately turned toward his wife and covered her as they dove to the ground.

"He was definitely reaching for the gun," the man said.

The witness turned away before he could see whether Scott fully removed the weapon from his waistband and didn't see the shooting. He said it did not appear that Scott was trying to "quick-draw" the weapon on the officers.

He heard gunshots soon after. The witness said he has been struggling with how the incident unfolded.

"It's so totally bizarre to me" that the man would grab the weapon in front of the officers, the witness said.

He added that he doesn't believe the man deserved to die for his actions, as he has heard other people say. But he said he does believe the officers were justified in their response.

However, he disputes whether police should have confronted Scott in a dense crowd. Nobody else was injured during the incident.

The Costco store, at 801 S. Pavilion Center Circle, has video surveillance cameras. It wasn't clear whether the cameras captured the event. Calls to Costco's corporate spokesman were not returned Monday.

Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie said Monday that investigators have been trying to obtain the video: "We have not recovered any video at this point."

He said he couldn't comment on the case because it is under investigation and will be the subject of a Clark County coroner's inquest. A date for the inquest has not yet been scheduled.

Three officers have been placed on routine paid administrative leave pending the outcomes of the investigation and inquest. They are 38-year-old William Mosher, a five-year veteran of the department; 28-year-old Joshua Stark, a two-year veteran; and 23-year-old Thomas Mendiola, also a two-year veteran.

Saturday's shooting was not the first for Mosher, who in April 2006 was one of two officers who shot and killed a suspect in a car.

At a coroner's inquest, officers Mosher and John Jessie Wiggins testified they feared for Wiggins' life when they opened fire on Aaron Jones at the Sunset Breeze apartments in the southwest valley. Both officers fired after Jones, a suspect in a home burglary, backed up his car and hit Wiggins in an attempt to escape.

Police said Scott, a 1994 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point who earned a master's degree from North Carolina's Duke University, was carrying two guns. They said that he pointed one at officers and that a second one was found by medical personnel transporting Scott to University Medical Center.

Attorney Ross Goodman, who is representing the family, said he does not dispute that Scott was carrying a weapon. But he said he has received numerous calls and e-mails from witnesses who claim that they did not see Scott pull out a gun in front of officers.

Scott's girlfriend was present during the shooting. Friends said the two were buying items for when she was to move in with him. She has declined to comment through Goodman, who has described the family as "distraught" over what happened.

Scott has lived in Las Vegas for more than a decade, according to his friends. He was a sales representative for Boston Scientific, a medical devices manufacturer. He sold pacemakers for the company.

Contact reporter Lawrence Mower at lmower@ reviewjournal.com or 702-383-0440. Contact reporter Brian Haynes at [email protected] or 702-383-0281.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back