CCL in car...must tell Police in routine stop??

This is just my thoughts; giving the officer the knowledge that you are carrying will go a long way to producing a positive environment. They feel more comfortable knowing that you understand the dangers of the job they face and care enough for their jobs that you are being completely open and honest with them regardless of the reason they stopped you. It has happened to me and after the stop was finished we then started talking about guns of different types and he said he always wanted to be a pilot and me being a faa instructor we started a friendship!
Respectfully
captp. Eric august usmc ret

Since it appears that we are going there anyway

IMO the type of permitee that DOES inform is usually the same guy that calls himself a "sheepdog" and feels that his permit makes him some type of auxillary LEO. They seem to feel that having a permit makes them a member of some elite fraternity and informing the cop is the secret handshake.

This thread is the reason I very rarely visit this forum. It seems like the majority, not all, sound like a bunch of 5 year olds fighting over a toy. The OP asked a simple question. It could have been answered quickly and politely. Instead, it turns into a fight about who is right.

Is this really necessary? My lumber worker(s) know this customer is packing and that I buy from his company instead of the Big Boys. The farmer has me outgunned and the garbage collector has most likely seen me hiding behind the Jumping Cactus with my Cammies and Boonie hat, doing Low-Crawls to see if she is going to throw my can all over the place. So, when the cop comes to my door and I ask him or her why they are not catching bank robbers instead of harassing me with an illegal stop and ask what the probable cause is and if I do not get pepper sprayed, shot or given a ticket for being a self-righteous ass. Oh, hey I will tell them. No one else has to.

Jsmurphyphone:288742 said:
This thread is the reason I very rarely visit this forum. It seems like the majority, not all, sound like a bunch of 5 year olds fighting over a toy. The OP asked a simple question. It could have been answered quickly and politely. Instead, it turns into a fight about who is right.

I did answer it quickly and politely 5 posts into the thread. This thread is doing very well without you, but I am glad you voiced your opinions :) just saying....(edited for count to nine)

NotTwoShure:288804 said:
Is this really necessary? My lumber worker(s) know this customer is packing and that I buy from his company instead of the Big Boys. The farmer has me outgunned and the garbage collector has most likely seen me hiding behind the Jumping Cactus with my Cammies and Boonie hat, doing Low-Crawls to see if she is going to throw my can all over the place. So, when the cop comes to my door and I ask him or her why they are not catching bank robbers instead of harassing me with an illegal stop and ask what the probable cause is and if I do not get pepper sprayed, shot or given a ticket for being a self-righteous ass. Oh, hey I will tell them. No one else has to.

Hey, that is really funny! :D
I still ain't telling anybody if I am carrying - it is none of their business! I carry to protect me and mine - not to impress anybody.

If a cop tasers you, pepper-sprays you and writes you a ticket for doing something legal such as carrying a cell phone or pistol, I suggest you sue for compensation and punishment.

I know of one state that you don't useu the word gun or firearm even if you're following the letter of the law. If you're in New Jersey you keep it to yourself or you risk your liberty. They consider just being from a state with carry permit law to be reasonable cause to search the vehicle.

The reason this question wasn't answered quickly and politely is because a lot of people here believe in personal responsibility. Please note that the OP asked his question on a web page where he could have looked the information up for himself in less time than it took him to start a thread. If you want to carry a gun it is incumbent upon you to be conversant on your state's laws concerning firearms.

Is that such a hard concept?

GA doesn't have a class you just go to the sheriff and apply, and within a few minutes you have your ccl. That's why SC will not honor GA, and why I have to get a non-res from somewhere.(edited out), check the laws.

That's why you check the laws, some inform out of courtesy and others will not unless asked. If you are ever in SC it is a MUST INFORM state.

SC is only "Must Inform" if you are stopped & the officer asks to see your ID. (Otherwise, there is no reason to inform.)

I just want to clarify that; because some states require you to inform every time you're in the presence of an LEO. However, SC only requires to inform if you are "officially" asked for ID. (Even then, you are NOT required to show your CWP unless you are carrying concealed.)

-

Not to be Trollish, but, I love an open forum with likeminded folks. We certainly are a lively bunch some of the time. Keep on checking the news and a close eye on the Hired Help in D.C. Say good night Gracie.

Since it appears that we are going there anyway

IMO the type of permitee that DOES inform is usually the same guy that calls himself a "sheepdog" and feels that his permit makes him some type of auxillary LEO. They seem to feel that having a permit makes them a member of some elite fraternity and informing the cop is the secret handshake.

I think it depends on where you're from & what type of officers you are likely to encounter. Where I am from, I am most likely to encounter a county LEO. (I do in fact have a number of LEO friends and see other LEOS at least twice a week.)

Most of the county & city LEOs I know don't want every CWP holder they see to come running up to them & say "Hey, officer! I want you to know I have a gun!"

The ONLY time ALL the LEOs I know really give an rat's a$$ if someone has a firearm is in an official confrontation. That means if an officer is NOT engaged in an "official" capacity with someone & asked for ID, they don't want to hear someone say; "I have a gun! But, I have a permit."

This is true with ALL the dozens of officers I know.

Like I said, I engage in social conversations with LEOs several times a week. Sometimes, the topic of CC does come up and I tell the officer I'm a proponent of CC & believe everyone needs to be armed whenever possible. But, I have NEVER had an LEO asked if I were armed during any of these conversations. The only response I get is an affirmative agreement that CC is more important in this day & age than it has ever been.

-

You know if you don't want to help people and be polite why do you waste time showing your ass? No everyone is as smart as some of you and then a lot of others are a whole lot nicer. If you don't want to help people learn and be friendly why bother to type BS. Get a life. Knowledge is gotten by asking. All you had to do was tell the person where to look for the answer not state your misguided ideas.

i'm in florida and probably wouldn't mention it unless the cop already checked my id and knows i have a ccwp and then asked me and only if he or she asked if i had a gun on me at the moment would i answer and then show my permit and tell where my firearm is if it was on or about my person at the time

In Tennessee, the HCP is tied to driver license number ... not much hiding here. I am usually up front and hand my HCP with license to the officer.

sent from my sending device

^^^ Exactly. If they don't ask, don't tell.

If they do ask, you can either:

a.) answer truthfully, or

b.) reserve your right to remain silent, which cannot be used against you in a court of law.

I wasn't a gun owner the last time that I was pulled over, but I'll never forget how nervous the rookie cop was that pulled me over for not having my headlights on just after dusk. My trucks panel lights light up anytime the ignition was on, so I didn't realize that I didn't have them own while driving out of a well lit subdivision where I had been working until I turned onto the main street. And then the rookie cop thought it strange when he noticed me switching them on. Anyway this rookie was so jumpy that I don't know what he would have done if he had been surprised to find that I was packing if I had not been not forthcoming with that information. I really like the method demonstrated in this video. I regularly hear people say what their rights are, but when I was growing up, there was a saying that you don't want to be dead right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back