CCL in car...must tell Police in routine stop??

gman1

In Georgia, do we have to tell an officer that we are carrying (CCL) during a routine traffic stop/violation -or do officers need to ask?

Not to be an ass, but isn't there a link on the home page that gives you the carry laws for each State? I don't know Georgia off of the top of my head, sorry.

In Georgia, do we have to tell an officer that we are carrying (CCL) during a routine traffic stop/violation -or do officers need to ask?

If you click on the concealed carry permit info link at the top of the page it will direct you to the relevant Georgia law

GA doesn't have a class you just go to the sheriff and apply, and within a few minutes you have your ccl. That's why SC will not honor GA, and why I have to get a non-res from somewhere.(edited out), check the laws.

That's why you check the laws, some inform out of courtesy and others will not unless asked. If you are ever in SC it is a MUST INFORM state.

gman1:288467 said:
In Georgia, do we have to tell an officer that we are carrying (CCL) during a routine traffic stop/violation..?

No.

I advise you to not inform, unless the firearm was specifically the reason for your stop (and I am sure the officer will let you know prior to coming to your door if that is the case).

>>

kevnrm:288497 said:
GA doesn't have a class you just go to the sheriff and apply, and within a few minutes you have your ccl. That's why SC will not honor GA, and why I have to get a non-res from somewhere. And I think you have to tell but don't hold me to it, check the laws.

Thank you for editing your post so no one gets false information. GA is not a must inform state.

No. I advise you to not inform, unless the firearm was specifically the reason for your stop (and I am sure the officer will let you know prior to coming to your door if that is the case).

Check your local laws and statutes, not the advice of forum members.
Not picking on you FireFighterChen, I just think he should check the laws himself and follow them accordingly.
Follow this link for information: Georgia Concealed Carry Permit Information

Check your local laws and Check your local laws and statutes, not the advice of forum members.statutes, not the advice of forum members. Check your local laws and statutes, not the advice of forum members. Check your local laws and statutes, not the advice of forum members. Check your local laws and statutes, not the advice of forum members. Check your local laws and statutes, not the advice of forum members.

Is there some part of that that is unclear?

i dont know your state laws...

but have traveled thru your state and was pulled over (tail light out on my trailer)...

wasnt sure if i had to inform or not, but no matter where i am as a common courtesy i just let them know.

trooper was pretty cool. i told him it was a road trip to pick up the car i was trailering and that we were already prepared with supplies. he shined his light so i could change the bulb.

no citation. ten minutes we were on our way home.

ive found even with troubled cops... politeness does go a long way.

wasnt sure if i had to inform or not, but no matter where i am as a common courtesy i just let them know.

Do you let them know about other completely legal activities you may be engaged in? Tell them you have a cell phone or anything like that?

As a common courtesy do you let your garbage collector know? Your local farmer or lumber worker know? The garbage collector, farmer and lumber worker do more to contribute to YOUR health and safety everyday by the occupations they have chosen AND have more chance of getting killed on the job than police officers do. I would think they would be equally, if not more worthy of the common courtesy of knowing about your gun than a police officer.

Dale64:288507 said:
No. I advise you to not inform, unless the firearm was specifically the reason for your stop (and I am sure the officer will let you know prior to coming to your door if that is the case).

Not picking on you FireFighterChen, I just think he should check the laws himself and follow them accordingly.
Follow this link for information: Georgia Concealed Carry Permit Information

I totally agree he should check them for himself. I ran through GA OCGA's and checked on handgunlaw.us. There is no law to notify in GA. Hence my answer is no. My advice, like all other advice from anyone anywhere, should always be thought through before taking it as your own.

This seems to be a very divided subject everytime it comes up. I'm not a cop, but my dad and grandfather both were deputies sheriffs. I've made it a habit to tell were my weapon is each time I'm stopped. I was coming back home thru St. Louis a couple months back, and was pulled over in the rental car I was in, because the tags wasn't coming up on his computer. When he came to the window i handed him my DL & CCW. And in formed my weapon was in the trunk, because i had just came thru Illinois. After he did some checking he let me go and thanked me for informing him on the weapon. Most of the time it pays to be courteous.

GA doesn't have a class you just go to the sheriff and apply, and within a few minutes you have your ccl. That's why SC will not honor GA, and why I have to get a non-res from somewhere.(edited out), check the laws.

That's why you check the laws, some inform out of courtesy and others will not unless asked. If you are ever in SC it is a MUST INFORM state.

Actually you apply at the probate judges office, then they send you to the sheriff's office to be fingerprinted. After that it usually takes about a week to be approved.

Wow! If one were a responsible and prudent person, you would not carry unless you are extremely educated in the law of the state, county and city/town. Do not go on here say or a friend of a friend who knows a person who is a lawyer. This is not the place for a Californian to tell a Georgia person how to act. Knowledge of the laws is necessary. Or, leave the piece in the safe.

This seems to be a very divided subject everytime it comes up. I'm not a cop, but my dad and grandfather both were deputies sheriffs. I've made it a habit to tell were my weapon is each time I'm stopped. I was coming back home thru St. Louis a couple months back, and was pulled over in the rental car I was in, because the tags wasn't coming up on his computer. When he came to the window i handed him my DL & CCW. And in formed my weapon was in the trunk, because i had just came thru Illinois. After he did some checking he let me go and thanked me for informing him on the weapon. Most of the time it pays to be courteous.

Outstanding. I have viewed other posts on other sites that are downright arrogant. Maybe we do not HAVE to inform, on the other hand, I shall have my hands on the steering wheel, and ask the Officer how he or she would wish for me to proceed. Better to be safe and alive than dead right. I will not get into a peeing contest with an officer of the law that may think I have the exact same auto/truck/SUV as the clown that just robbed the gas station on the interstate. The officer has enough on his or her plate without my attitude. But, that is my view. Thanks.

Edit your post so no one gets false information. GA is not a must inform state.

I not sure what part of Ga. he is referring to but he also need to edit his post stating that it only take s a few minutes. The Probate Judge isn’t just hanging around to sign CC permits. Mine took 5 days including mail time.

Never applied in GA, I just know you go to the sheriff and put in your app. Didn't know all the details seeing how SC takes 60-90 days after the 8 hr class and GA does not do a non-res and I haven't been to GA since then so I haven't made time to check their laws. Hence the check the laws statement at the end of the post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back