Biased male opions

Sorry BUT its a plant. RP has soiled the soil the cat has stepped on. I guess we're the litter box for the twisted ideas and or opinions. Just my take. Clean the litter box if you care. I ain't touching this soiled poster.

Yeah, I'm staying out of it from now on, too.

My experience has been the exact opposite. When I went to the range, I was treated like visiting royalty. I actually had the opposite problem because there were far too many guys trying to impress me with their expertise and trying to give mentor me. Poor advice from well intentioned people proved to be a far greater obstacle than any form of bias or prejudice. After being steered in the wrong direction way too many times, i found help right in my own backyard from two gentlemen that I had known for many years.

Could it have been because you are a good looking woman? It was better than being ignored!:shout:

I love that. She said "biased by the FACT that..." Those 2 words don't belong in the same sentence. A bias is basically an opinionated point of view. How can I have an opinionated point of view if she's claiming it's fact? Same thing happened to me the last time I tried using $50 words without checking to make sure I had $50. I could see being biased about whether women should or should not shoot, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around being biased by the fact that they do shoot.

Either way, I try and get my wife and any of my or her girl-friends (gotta be careful putting those 2 words in the same sentence) out to the range as much as possible. The way I figure it, the more people on my side of the law I can arm, the better off we all are.

She seems to have edited it... It's much better now, though definitely still incorrect. :lol:

Revolving Puppet, try this: "Hey girls, do you find that men are biased against women shooters?" In a forum where all we see is text, proper grammar is imperative to getting the correct message across, and will help you avoid this... interesting result in the future. If you're not sure, look up the definition!

Hey. Guess What? Found a great guy that will take me shooting. Funny, my high school sweet-heart. Just friends now, but I trust him more than anyone.
Wish me Luck. Have a great weekend everyone.:dance3:

That's great! Good luck, and I'd love to hear how that goes for you. Please, PLEASE also get at least one basic pistol class with an actual instructor. I'd like a dime (inflation, you know) for every woman who comes to my classes after being taught by the boyfriend/husband/neighbor... who has all sorts of bad habits to unlearn before she can really get to where she wants to be. And that's especially true if you ever expect to defend yourself with the gun.

Read about my own self defense experience here: The Man I Might Have Killed | The Price of Liberty And send for my free book if you are interested. I'd be glad to talk with you privately in email. :)

Could it have been because you are a good looking woman? It was better than being ignored!:shout:

No it really wasn't better than being ignored. All the bad information that I got from guys that were actually looking for a date was very detrimental to me and it added a few more bends to the already long and difficult road of becoming proficient with a handgun.

No it really wasn't better than being ignored. All the bad information that I got from guys that were actually looking for a date was very detrimental to me and it added a few more bends to the already long and difficult road of becoming proficient with a handgun.
Sometimes I think men are the reason many women don't shoot or carry guns because their men...

1. Fill their heads with all kinds of what a man thinks is "cool" information like talking about calibers, gun capacities, bullet expansion, and all that technical stuff most women could not care less about.

2. Try to teach her all kinds of shooting stances, firing sequences, trigger disciplines, sight pictures, and other stuff that won't mean a fart in a windstorm on a dark rainy night while some mope is trying to rape her in the bushes.

And then the worst thing of all...

3. Their man buys her this one gun in this one caliber as the one and only gun/caliber that he thinks will have enough knock down power (never mind that pistols don't have any damn knock down power) and then expects her to not only carry it (but she won't even touch it because it is too big, or too heavy, or kicks too much from recoil, or might even just be too damn ugly so there is no way she is going to carry it) but also expects her to get all puppy dog eyed and drag him to the bedroom to thank him for his heroic efforts.

Guys... if your lady wants a gun just take her to a gun shop that has a range so she can shoot some examples and let HER pick and choose which gun she likes in whatever caliber she likes and ... even if YOU hate that gun and/or think it isn't a big enough caliber... shut your mouth and buy her that one because that is the gun she will shoot and that is the gun she will carry because that is the gun SHE likes.

And the bottom line guys... if you really care about your lady you will admit that the gun she is carrying because she picked it out for herself is way better than the gun you bought for her that she left at home because she doesn't like it.

In the interest of full disclosure... I am a guy and I learned early to just shut my mouth and let my wife choose her own gun. All the lessons about how to shoot in different scenarios came later because in order for any of that info to be of use she first has to be... carrying a gun.

Sometimes I think men are the reason many women don't shoot or carry guns because their men...

1. Fill their heads with all kinds of what a man thinks is "cool" information like talking about calibers, gun capacities, bullet expansion, and all that technical stuff most women could not care less about.

2. Try to teach her all kinds of shooting stances, firing sequences, trigger disciplines, sight pictures, and other stuff that won't mean a fart in a windstorm on a dark rainy night while some mope is trying to rape her in the bushes.

3. Their man buys her this one gun in this one caliber as the one and only gun/caliber that he thinks will have enough knock down power (never mind that pistols don't have any damn knock down power) and then expects her to not only carry it (but she won't even touch it because it is too big, or too heavy, or kicks too much from recoil, or might even just be too damn ugly so there is no way she is going to carry it) but also expects her to get all puppy dog eyed and drag him to the bedroom to thank him for his heroic efforts.

Guys... if your lady wants a gun just take her to a gun shop that has a range so she can shoot some examples and let HER pick and choose which gun she likes in whatever caliber she likes and ... even if YOU hate that gun and/or think it isn't a big enough caliber... shut your mouth and buy her that one because that is the gun she will shoot and that is the gun she will carry because that is the gun SHE likes.

And the bottom line guys... if you really care about your lady you will admit that the gun she is carrying because she picked it out for herself is way better than the gun you bought for her that she left at home because she doesn't like it.

In the interest of full disclosure... I am a guy and I learned early to just shut my mouth and let my wife choose her own gun. All the lessons about how to shoot in different scenarios came later because in order for any of that info to be of use she first has to be... carrying a gun.

I wholeheartedly agree. The desire to become proficient with a handgun must come from within. It is not something that any other person can choose for you. Too many women feel that they are being pushed into a situation that they are not comfortable with. Too many men feel that shooting a handgun is an extension of their manhood and feel that they are born experts on handguns.

Ironically, I chose a 45 auto as my personal defense weapon and have elevated my abilities to a very high level. No one could have made these choices for me.I think that the course of action chosen by most men is overall very detrimental and many men need to heed the advice you have given.

My wife loves my PK380, which I can't stand because it is way too unreliable. It's got a super light recoil spring (designed specifically with women in mind from what I hear) and if you are bad about limp wristing the least, it'll jam trying to eject. She likes it because it's bigger so it doesn't recoil as much, and she can shoot accurately with it since it's got a longer barrel than most 380s. It's an awesome range gun since you don't really have to bed your life on whether it might jam or not. But I wouldn't really want her carrying it because of its reliability and she wouldn't carry it anyways because of its size.

So the approach I usually take, since we don't have any gun range/gun stores very close, is if I see something I think she might like, I'll buy it and see if she likes it, and if not I either hand on to it, or sell it to a friend who wants it. I've got enough gun friends that usually there's somebody who will take it off my hands. And I'll sell it to them for the price I paid minus tax, so they're basically getting it tax free.

I love my wife of 42 years who has given me, and put up with me and my foibles for 42 years of wedded bliss! I love her even more when she accompanies me on hunting trips, and nock's over a few ferel pigs with my Winchester model 70 243 cal. rifle, or my 44 mag, lever action, she's hot! It seems my kids and grand kids love her even more! Any man who does not want a woman to handle a firearm, for sport, for self defence, or for any reason is a limp wristed mama's girl in a big pink blouse!

You girls keep on keeping on! Women were also called to preach, even though fundamental Christianity tells them to remain silent and get to the back of the bus! And I can prove it!

The worst bias I have seen against women shooters comes from anti-gun women on the progressive/liberal/feminist slant. They possess an attitude like guns are the most evil incarnation of masculinity and any woman who is into guns is that way because she has been brain-washed by the patriarchal rape-culture she is exposed to, or something of the sort.

Scientifically, the male chromosome is an incomplete female chromosome. In other words the male is a walking abortion; aborted at the gene stage. To be male is to be deficient, to be emotionally limited. Any male who is against women shooters, sadly is not only emotionally deficient, he is an emotional cripple!

Cheers, Ironbark.

Scientifically, the male chromosome is an incomplete female chromosome. In other words the male is a walking abortion; aborted at the gene stage. To be male is to be deficient, to be emotionally limited. Any male who is against women shooters, sadly is not only emotionally deficient, he is an emotional cripple!

Cheers, Ironbark.

I hope you don't really believe that... You can not get a Y chromosome by removing the excess genes from an X chromosome, there are genes (SRY for example) that the Y chromosomes carry that the X chromosome do not. Completely different chromosomes that some feminist tried to twist into her manifesto...when a chromosome is actually incomplete, the defect can be pretty awful.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Ironbark, I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or what, but firefighterchen is right, the y chromosome is specific to males and carries sex-linked genes that only males have, and if a standard male (XY) is a walking abortion, does that mean than a male with an extra female chromosome is then a perfect male?? I'm not trying to start a fight here, But I'm pretty thankful that males exist. Otherwise my girl parts would be pretty lonely.

Anyway, back to bias..this link shows what Kumar Ramanathan of think progress thinks about gun ads that feature women :Link Removed

he writes about a glock ad (that I am Sure we have all seen) featuring a young woman facing an intruder who is breaking into her home:

"This four-minute ad follows a young woman as she returns to her home, where she is alone (and scantily-clad, of course). As her door rattles, she is left looking vulnerable and scared – until she picks up her gun and disposes of the grisly predator with sheer force of fear. Glock’s message promotes the age-old argument that guns stop rape, painting women as helpless victims until they have firearms at their side. Smaller outfits than Glock have used the same concept in their advertising."

He criticizes that the woman is scantily clad, why? Is that so unrealistic? She is home alone, does she need formal wear? what if she lives in a place that's hot??
I wonder if this writer has ever had to endure a "hot" home invasion, because I have, and it was one of the most frightening events of my life. I didn't have a gun either, I was hiding in a closet under some coats with 911 on the phone while my windows were broken and house ransacked. The suspects fled, through a bedroom window when the cops pulled up. I want to know what the author of this would recommend me doing. Fist fight the perps? Knife fight them? Plead for your life? Oh here is a good one they teach you in rape prevention class: Piss yourself. Nothing terrifies a violent criminal like a little pee. The fact is that a 120 lb woman IS pretty close to helpless in hand to hand combat with a 210 lb rapist. Martial arts training might buy you time, but you can also get strangled or punched to death in the scuffle too. Guns do help stop rape, this guy just refuses to acknowledge reality, as usual..

Oh my gosh. That is horrible. I am glad you are okay. I would hide also. I do agree we women should have guns as long as we are trained properly. Same goes for a man. They are clumsier than we are. Ha Ha. I keep saying I am going to train and purchase one, I am procrastinating. Don't know why.

Oh my gosh. That is horrible. I am glad you are okay. I would hide also. I do agree we women should have guns as long as we are trained properly. Same goes for a man. They are clumsier than we are. Ha Ha. I keep saying I am going to train and purchase one, I am procrastinating. Don't know why.

Are you saying I shouldn't have a gun if I don't have proper training?

Ironbark, I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or what, but firefighterchen is right, the y chromosome is specific to males and carries sex-linked genes that only males have, and if a standard male (XY) is a walking abortion, does that mean than a male with an extra female chromosome is then a perfect male?? I'm not trying to start a fight here, But I'm pretty thankful that males exist. Otherwise my girl parts would be pretty lonely.

I was kidding sweety, :smile: Behind every great man, there is a surprised woman, :biggrin:.

Thanks Puppet, it was a scary encounter!
Perhaps you are still unsure if you want to carry or own a gun, but since you are still posting on a gun forum you must still have an interest. In most cities there are classes available. Look on yelp for good firearms classes. you can call them to ask if they have guns to loan for class. That way you can get a chance to try out some different models to see what you like best. They will probably ask you to purchase the ammo. Even if you dont buy a gun immediately it will give you a chance to get some experience, talk about firearm safety and theory and think about what you want to do in the future.
Training is not required by law to own a gun (since owning a firearm is a constitutional, and in many cases, a state right) but it is of course highly recommended.

Are you saying I shouldn't have a gun if I don't have proper training?

I know the question wasn't directed toward me, but I would say you shouldn't have a power saw without proper training either. The question comes down to what is proper training. I read the manuals that come with my power tools, and doggone it there is some really pertinent information in there. That is enough for me. Someone else, might need to be guided by a person experienced in the use of power saws. Same is true with firearms. Some will naturally get it from reading, some need to be shown the ropes, and some will be raised in a family that has shown them the way through their life.

However, I would also say that I would never support any law that infringes on your right to buy a firearm, or a power saw. Having a firearm and not knowing how to use it is a dangerous mix. But one that shouldn't be regulated by the government. It should be regulated with our own common sense. Ask anyone with a power saw that has less than 10 fingers. I doubt they will say the government should have stepped in and demanded proper training first.

"should" and "must" are two very different words.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back