Biased male opions

My experience has been the exact opposite. When I went to the range, I was treated like visiting royalty. I actually had the opposite problem because there were far too many guys trying to impress me with their expertise and trying to give mentor me. Poor advice from well intentioned people proved to be a far greater obstacle than any form of bias or prejudice. After being steered in the wrong direction way too many times, i found help right in my own backyard from two gentlemen that I had known for many years.

Even with a "reset" (yeah, I know, liberal hogwash), high-fives, and attaboys and attagirls all 'round, I still smell a rat.

Good advice has been given in this thread, that's great, but being the cynical type because of the OP's opening salvo, I'll lurk for a bit.

Even with a "reset" (yeah, I know, liberal hogwash), high-fives, and attaboys and attagirls all 'round, I still smell a rat.

Good advice has been given in this thread, that's great, but being the cynical type because of the OP's opening salvo, I'll lurk for a bit.

I'm with you. Ya piss all over people, state nobody cares, say your sorry then everything is supposed to be fine and please love me I'm one of you. STRANGE way to enter a new web site, especially a gun forum. This smells of Kimchi.

My question is simple and does make sense. Some men feel that women should not shoot guns period. Just like they feel ladies should stay off the road. Maybe it has something to do with the state you live in etc. Wanted some feedback on different women from different locations. I really do not feel I need a response from you.

Perhaps it's the sentence structure. "Men are biased and oppose women shooters" may have been better. "Biased by the fact that women want to shoot" means that they are prejudiced BY (as in because of) women shooters which sounds like they were fine with it until they actually saw a woman shoot and then they became biased. Don't think that helps your case?

You began the sentence with "Bias". Bias is to be prejudice towards, doesn't necessarily mean oppose. In fact, there's a lot of words that would work so much better than 'Bias', perhaps prejudice or oppose. I can have a Bias towards Glock or Springfield; which means I prefer them and tend to look at those brands with 'rose colored glasses'. It doesn't mean I don't like other brands. So if a man has a Bias about women; it might mean he prefers that men do the shooting. Okay, so moving on. Then you said "By the fact", so now we have a cause. The sentence started with the effect (Bias) and then concluded with the cause (The fact that women want to shoot). So you see why the sentence was confusing? What you literally said was that women wanting to shoot has men to develop a bias. Not that men have a bias towards women wanting to shoot.

I'm just dropping in here because last time I checked I'm a man and I can't remember ever in my life thinking women shouldn't shoot. I know individuals (men and women alike) who probably shouldn't shoot. But I don't think I know anyone who is against one gender owning a gun or shooting. My wife owns, carries, and shoots. As long as we've been together, even back as Sophomores in high school dating, we shot together. She loves to shoot my bolt action .22LR, and her semi-auto .380acp pistol. She'll put rounds through a .45acp and drive tacks with it too! (Just has a hard time concealing one! ha!).

The only thing I'll say I've seen, is like another poster mentioned. People think women shooters must be new. If I walk away for a minute, or even sometimes when I'm just standing there, guys will try to give my wife advice all the time. She's not asking for it, she doesn't need it. She's been shooting longer than a lot of them! (Since she was a little girl with her dad). So yeah, I see that. But none of them are opposed to her shooting that she or I have ever experienced. They just assume she must not know what she's doing because she's a girl. And that's not a Bias, since a bias is a preference (A bias towards women shooters would mean they prefer women shooters. But let's assume you actually meant a bias towards male shooters; so that would mean they prefer men shoot. Although it doesn't exactly exclude women it just prefers men. Probably wasn't a great word choice and the reason for the confusion). But it is a prejudice, a pre-conceived notion about who she must be. Assuming because she's a woman, she must not be an experienced or competent shooter. It's comical to see some guy with a teacup limp-wristed grip on his pistol leaning backwards with his head sunk down into his shoulder shooting 15" groups looking over at my wife driving tacks with her little Bersa and telling her she should try this or that. Doesn't happen often. Rarely in fact. But it HAS happened. (And I can't say anyones tried to offer me unsolicited advice at the range. I'm a 6'2", 230 pound guy with a 'sturdy build', so people don't look at me and think I must be helpless)

Yes you all have. I really don't know why you all want to dwell on the past. I don't like to live that way.
It shows a precedent of behavior and action. I can only judge you by the fruits you bore. I can't speak for the rest of the people. (Although some on this wed site try to)

I've never seen any bias towards women in any of the firearms courses I have taken, including both handgun and rifle classes. My wife shoots both her pistol and AR regularly, and all of the guys are happy to have her around. She shoots pistol better than many men and although she has not mastered her AR, everyone respects her participation.

Well your original question has been answered. None of the women on the forum have felt any "negative vibes" from men when they go shooting, and all the men that have responded are happy to see more women taking up arms.

Some excellent suggestion have been offered. Best wishes as you continue to learn. (PS, glocks are best:crazy_pilot: ROTFLMAO)

I'm happy the new onslaught of new gun owners are coming from females. There are times I like hanging with the guys....and there are times I like hanging with women.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes you are. I do appreciate it. People always tell me to toughen up. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. Leads to not so very nice people taking advantage. It sucks. I just try to look for the best in people and it is hard for me to understand how they can act or treat others in a certain way. HELP.

Yes you are. I do appreciate it. People always tell me to toughen up. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. Leads to not so very nice people taking advantage. It sucks. I just try to look for the best in people and it is hard for me to understand how they can act or treat others in a certain way. HELP.
One thing that might help you...

The typed word doesn't convey any of the hints we are used to hearing from tone of voice or the little clues from body language that we get when actually talking to someone face to face so it is very easy to assume someone is being mean when they actually are simply being factual.

For example..

If someone says:

"You are such a dumb ass!" to my face with a twinkle in their eye while chuckling I know they are kidding around and don't mean anything derogatory.

But that same person could type that same thing on an internet forum and I would consider it an insult because all those clues to kidding around just aren't in the typed word.

And no... I'm not calling you a dumb ass or anything... I'm using that as an easy to show example only.

I agree with "Bikenut", you need to hang around with a better class of man. I live in CA, and because my business was construction, I know and associate with more men than women. Every, (repeat every) man I know is thrilled when they find out I'm a shooter. Some are even jealous of my husband, because I shoot.

Hey. Guess What? Found a great guy that will take me shooting. Funny, my high school sweet-heart. Just friends now, but I trust him more than anyone.
Wish me Luck. Have a great weekend everyone.:dance3:

I have no idea what you're asking about. "Biased" means unfairly prejudiced for or against, and doesn't fit in your sentence. Most men I know think women shooters are great.
I love that. She said "biased by the FACT that..." Those 2 words don't belong in the same sentence. A bias is basically an opinionated point of view. How can I have an opinionated point of view if she's claiming it's fact? Same thing happened to me the last time I tried using $50 words without checking to make sure I had $50. I could see being biased about whether women should or should not shoot, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around being biased by the fact that they do shoot.

Either way, I try and get my wife and any of my or her girl-friends (gotta be careful putting those 2 words in the same sentence) out to the range as much as possible. The way I figure it, the more people on my side of the law I can arm, the better off we all are.

Sorry BUT its a plant. RP has soiled the soil the cat has stepped on. I guess we're the litter box for the twisted ideas and or opinions. Just my take. Clean the litter box if you care. I ain't touching this soiled poster.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back