Aurora Colorado shooting

Motivation is always the key element. Apparently this indiviual was motivated enough to break with society and go on this rampage. He has booby trapped his apartment with explosives and shown he knew how to use them when he entered the theatre. Being that motivated just shows that guns were but tools in his evil endeavour and had he not had them he would have used his knowledge of explosives to carry out his inner most desires to kill innocent people. This theatre has had issues with gang related issues in the past and I have heard there was a police presence at the time of the shooting. The police station is but a mile or so from the theatre..... Motivation again is the key and the instrument he chose was the unfortunately the gun. It is hard to stop a motivated attacker. One must kill him and even in death that attacker may still be able to achieve their desired results..... Remember the Marine barracks in Lebanon? The guy was dead before the bomb went off but still managed to kill a lot of people.... Motivation......

Motivation is always the key element. Apparently this indiviual was motivated enough to break with society and go on this rampage. He has booby trapped his apartment with explosives and shown he knew how to use them when he entered the theatre. Being that motivated just shows that guns were but tools in his evil endeavour and had he not had them he would have used his knowledge of explosives to carry out his inner most desires to kill innocent people. This theatre has had issues with gang related issues in the past and I have heard there was a police presence at the time of the shooting. The police station is but a mile or so from the theatre..... Motivation again is the key and the instrument he chose was the unfortunately the gun. It is hard to stop a motivated attacker. One must kill him and even in death that attacker may still be able to achieve their desired results..... Remember the Marine barracks in Lebanon? The guy was dead before the bomb went off but still managed to kill a lot of people.... Motivation......

They just needed a "no explosives allowed" sign on the theatre door. That would have stopped him in his tracks!

Reports are still early and they are saying this guy was wearing body armor. Any regular CCW carrier would have been greatly outgunned. Most of us carry with the intentions of protecting ourselves at close distances and carry short barreled firearms for concealment convenience. As much as I would like to think that I could have made a difference in a situation like this trying to fire across a smoke and/or gas filled theater more than likely would have been an exercise in futility. Unless you were extremely close when the shooting started the best you could hope for is to make a tactical retreat and get you and your family out.

Regardless of whether this incident should indicate more people should carry, at a minimium, this is my personal threshold for now getting my permit.

I don't give two craps if he's wearing body armor. He's not going to just stand there taking bullets like you're tossing pillows at him. It still frigging hurts and he's still going to get knocked down. At which point you move in for a face shot and try to disarm him. In most cases I wouldn't be a Rambette like that, but Jesus, he shot 71 damn people. That takes time, even with a semi-auto. It also means that you don't have a good chance of hiding and waiting this one out. Eventually he's coming for you.

This is one of those situations where I think it's just better to act.

And this guy thought he was the frigging Joker, which tells me that instead of banning guns, we might need to look at banning movies where psychopaths are portrayed as sexy and cool. OK, not really. But still.

And I hate to admit it, but this did actually make me think that maybe people don't need AR-15s et al. I mean frack, if he had just had a couple Glocks, and a CCer had been there, no way the body count would have been that high. Of course, a CCer there anyway and maybe the body count wouldn't have been that high.

Here's my perspective on this horrific incident. If I'm in a situation of this type, I'm gathering those that I love, putting my self between them and the shooter, and hunkering down. If the shooter turns his attention our way, I'm coming at him with all the firepower I have available. If not, I'm covering my loved ones and attracting as little attention as possible. I figure as soon as I fire in his direction, he will return fire in mine, which puts my loved ones at a much higher risk of being injured or killed. I conceal carry to protect me and mine. I'm not a LEO, never wanted to be one. Many CCW holders believe carrying a firearm makes them invincible, nothing could be farther from the truth.
I totally agree. A situation like this calls for a defensive action. The key is to not draw the shooter's attention. The best way to accomplish this is by hunkering down behind the best cover you can find.

Here's where the choice comes into play:

If you're not armed and the shooter spots you, it's way too late to run - you're at the shooter's mercy.

If you are armed and the shooter spots you, you have a fighting chance to take him out, or, at the very least, cause him to look for defenseless targets.

If you're alone, hunker down. If you're presented with a good shot athe the obvious bad guy, you have a (really quick) decision to make...

People NEED TO CARRY!!! Here is just another reason why! You never know - where, when, how, whatever - something like this will occur. I have even started carrying in my own home! My local police force told me last week to keep my house alarm system ON AT ALL TIMES, even when we are home and to keep myself and my wife armed.

Paranoid much? Where do you live? Compton California?

Just because he had body armor on does not make him immune to the effect a round will have. He would need to take a step or two back and I garuntee he would feel the pain from it!
It would disrupt his attack and maybe make him question his actions!
You WILL feel a round impact you while in body armor!

I agree, Not to sure why folks are counting themselves out of the battle just because he had a bullet proof vest (which by the way you would not know at the time) and a helmet (which would not make a damn bit of difference in my book), Gas might be a problem if you are exposed...... Point being as ccw holders we should have the mentality of adapt and overcome , as we quite possible are the only lifeline that innocent soul's have. I myself undoubtedly would die atleast trying to eliminate the threat!

Your damn friggin right on with this post! I would have emptied my friggin clip into him. I will not be a victim! I have been in a situation JUST LIKE THIS and I took action! I REFUSE to be a victim and I REFUSE to allow it to happen to others in my presence! 😡

What we have here is an ambush situation. Lacking cover, the only way out of an ambush is immediate and violent counter assault.

I don't give two craps if he's wearing body armor. He's not going to just stand there taking bullets like you're tossing pillows at him. It still frigging hurts and he's still going to get knocked down. At which point you move in for a face shot and try to disarm him. In most cases I wouldn't be a Rambette like that, but Jesus, he shot 71 damn people. That takes time, even with a semi-auto. It also means that you don't have a good chance of hiding and waiting this one out. Eventually he's coming for you.

This is one of those situations where I think it's just better to act.

And this guy thought he was the frigging Joker, which tells me that instead of banning guns, we might need to look at banning movies where psychopaths are portrayed as sexy and cool. OK, not really. But still.

And I hate to admit it, but this did actually make me think that maybe people don't need AR-15s et al. I mean frack, if he had just had a couple Glocks, and a CCer had been there, no way the body count would have been that high. Of course, a CCer there anyway and maybe the body count wouldn't have been that high.
Your first paragraph is good to g, but after that you start to hyperventilate. It's not about movie-control or gun control, it's about CRIMINAL control. Millions of people watch movies without murdering anyone; millions of people own AR-15-type rifles, very few of them shoot dozens of people.

Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR-15 has. Do we really need cars? I mean, if Teddy had been riding a bicycle... We'll, you get the drift...

There's more to this shooter than meets the eye. No one lives a normal, adjusted life for 24 years, then shoots 71 people. His trial, if he makes it to trial, should be interesting.

Your first paragraph is good to g, but after that you start to hyperventilate. It's not about movie-control or gun control, it's about CRIMINAL control. Millions of people watch movies without murdering anyone; millions of people own AR-15-type rifles, very few of them shoot dozens of people.

Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR-15 has. Do we really need cars? I mean, if Teddy had been riding a bicycle... We'll, you get the drift...

There's more to this shooter than meets the eye. No one lives a normal, adjusted life for 24 years, then shoots 71 people. His trial, if he makes it to trial, should be interesting.

That would be the "OK not really" and the "hate to admit it." It was a tangent of thought, not a statement of support for gun control. In the end I don't support any kind of gun control, but this event did make me go there for a while.

That would be the "OK not really" and the "hate to admit it." It was a tangent of thought, not a statement of support for gun control. In the end I don't support any kind of gun control, but this event did make me go there for a while.
I think most of us have "gone there" at one time or another. The important thing is to come back from there - really quick! :)

There's more to this shooter than meets the eye. No one lives a normal, adjusted life for 24 years, then shoots 71 people. His trial, if he makes it to trial, should be interesting.[/QUOTE]

Colorado does have the death penalty. I believe there are 3 people on their death row. This guy should make the 4th if the legal system doesn't fall for the (mentally incompetent to stand trial) or some garbage like that.

I don't give two craps if he's wearing body armor. He's not going to just stand there taking bullets like you're tossing pillows at him. I
Yes, he will. Think body armor will not make a difference? Look at the North Hollywood bank robbery back in 1997 where the robbers wore armor. Yes, they were finally killed but watch the videos and you can see the robbers taking round after round and keep going. I single CCW carrier with a single handgun going up against a determined man wearing body armor with an AR15, shotgun and handgun? Maybe there are some special forces or SEAL types out there who could have pulled that off but just your average guy with a Kimber in his waistband and maybe, just maybe, a spare magazine? There is no dishonor in recognizing that you are terribly outgunned and taking the necessary action to save yourself and your family in a situation like this.

Who could say what they would do without having been there. If you were there with your firearm, you may have been the first one he shoots and kills without warning. OR You may be the first one he didn't notice, passed by, thus giving you the golden opportunity to be a hero by popping up and drilling him from behind. Remember, the guy allegedly used tear gas. One cannot function in that stuff. I personally know that much.

Sorry my friends, but nobody here can speculate as to what they would do in a situation like this. Every person that was in a seat in that theater was in a different situation. You cannot cherry pick the time and place you are when these things happen. Life doesn't work that way.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back