Aurora Colorado shooting

I wasn't writing the opening line to the newest "thriller". Walt wanted details, so I gave him some details. That's all.

Thanks for the low down CM. I understand a little better where you're coming from with the statements you've made.

I thought the news reported a three month old baby was there as well. True or not, some of those kids should have been home in bed. Now they will be having nightmares for years to come.
Sad situation.

Latest I've heard with the 3 month old is it's alive, the mother is alive but the father took a face shot to the eye and is fighting to hold on.

That was my thought as well.

WTF is a parent or other adult doing taking a 6yr old to a movie at midnight?
I even heard that some of the kids there were as young as THREE!

To me, this is nothing more than self-centered & irresponsible actions of the parents!

-

I've taken my daughter to a midnight screening when she was 5 or 6...Harry Potter movie. She didn't have school the next day. I don't see the issue

How much solace you think they will get from being able to stand at your grave side saying to no one in particular "He died trying to save a stranger."?

I'm just askin.

It might not make them any less sad, but I know my wife and parents would be DAMN proud to say that.

I have been sending faxes and emails to all kinds of public officials all morning. I can't help but feel lives could have been saved in Aurora if a few of those people had been carrying. with everyone on the floor someone with a concealed handgun could have had a clear shot at the killer. I believe ALL states should issue CCW Permits which are good in every state. Criminals very easily find guns, now to put guns in the hands of good citizens.

What do you think?

:big_boss:

I think the 2a is all the permit anyone should need. Given that's not likely to ever be legal reality, I'd settle for nationwide reciprocity.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Who would you leave behind? Wife? Children? Girlfriend? A mother or father at the least. How much solace you think they will get from being able to stand at your grave side saying to no one in particular "He died trying to save a stranger."?

I'm just askin.

Everybody has to die sometime. It's just a question of how and when. I think I'd rather die attempting to do some good than live with a guilty conscience. At least I hope that's the choice I would make.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

What was ultimately fortunate in this incident is that the perp's AR-15 jammed, as they often do when fired a lot. And he did not know how to un-jam it.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families and to the community there.

I have an AR-15 and use it quite regularly. The only time it jammed was when I used REALLY CRAPPY ammo. Not because it is fired a lot, because the ammo was extra dirty ammo. That means low grade powder, and lots of residue from it in the chamber. Since I switched back to quality ammo it has not jammed once. Another bit of education for folks in general here.. Semi automatic handguns have MAGAZINES, not clips, same with Semi Auto Rifles.

As for how I would have reacted in the situation being discussed, I can't honestly say because I have never BEEN in that situation. I WILL say that I would hope that my training and practice would have gone in to auto pilot and I would have been able to help some people escape without injury, either by taking the gunman's focus off of them long enough for them to retreat, or by dropping the bastard where he stood. I know he had a vest on (never heard about helmet), but there are ways to slow a person down without a T.C. shot. I know that the gas was also a fqactor, and have been gassed myself in the military, and yes it is debilitating to a point. Like I said, I can only hope I would have been able to do SOMETHING, preferably the RIGHT something.

Yeah, we can all sit here and play "Monday- morning quarterback", but you don't know what you will do in a situation until you are there. For those of us that have been in such situations (ie combat, bar fights, etc...) it's easier to we would do a, b, or c. You have two options in situations such as this: fight or flight. I would like to think I would have taken at least a few shots at this coward. No one new he had body armor until afterwards; it is more likely that he had a "flak vest" instead of a bullet-proof vest. A flak vest doesn't stop bullets, it stops fragmentation from high explosive projectiles (mortars, artillery, etc.). Even if he did have a vest with bullet-proof plates, a shot placed center mass would have hurt like a mother f'er!!! Just like standing up to a bully in school ends his desire to bully you around, I think even one or two rounds returned in his direction might have stopped him....

Honestly, the best option with tear gas and crowds moving fast to get out of the way the best option would be to send family and friends toward the door while you dump a mag in his direction. Which eould be sure to draw his fire away from family membets. Saddly the new target would be you. Since he had level 3 armor on there isnt much of a chance of getting a clean shot off into his gas mask.

I would be aiming for his dome. Ballistic helmet or not maybe I could have rung his bell long enough to make him dizzy? Then close in with a knife in tow.

Honestly, the best option with tear gas and crowds moving fast to get out of the way the best option would be to send family and friends toward the door while you dump a mag in his direction. Which eould be sure to draw his fire away from family membets. Saddly the new target would be you. Since he had level 3 armor on there isnt much of a chance of getting a clean shot off into his gas mask.

I would be aiming for his dome. Ballistic helmet or not maybe I could have rung his bell long enough to make him dizzy? Then close in with a knife in tow.

Where did you hear it was level 3? ... you wouldn't have known he had armour on anyways..you would still be going for the headshot? Is that normally the first place you shoot instead of com?

I'm going out on a limb here to make a prediction, that now that every theater is looked at for weapons by the cops and theater managers, the only ones they are going to prevent are those of us who legally conceal carry. The patrons coming out of these theaters, late at night, into darkened and often isolated parking lots are now a criminals best friend. If the crime rate under these conditions doesn't rise in the next few months, crooks are dumber than ever. Personally, under these circumstances, you couldn't get me within a mile of a theater, as situational awareness for avoiding criminals in the first place is foremost in my mind.

Where did you hear it was level 3? ... you wouldn't have known he had armour on anyways..you would still be going for the headshot? Is that normally the first place you shoot instead of com?

As my carry weapon is a .357 Magnum, I'd still shoot for center mass, and count on the round to penetrate body armor as it's designed to do. I also do my own reloads, such that I max my rounds to full power with 158 gr bullets. If it didn't penetrate, I think i'd at least have his attention. But I'm pretty sure they'd penetrate.

Although the Gun-Grabbers are already fervently trying to exploit this tragedy (remember Rahm; "Never let a good crisis go to waste"), the dynamics are changing rapidly and EVERYONE should stay informed of them. As a resident of the wonderful city of Aurora, Colorado, as well as a concealed-carry, retired military, NRA Life Member, this is all near and dear to my heart. Although the complaint is that this JOKER bought his weapons legally, the latest information would refute that very premise. We are now hearing whispers that Dipstick was under the care and treatment of a mental health professional for what could only be a mental deficiency of some sort. In other words, if true, he was never LEGALLY authorized to purchase a firearm in the first place. My point? The LAWS are effective. The problem, in this case, is in the CBI reporting procedures. Admittedly, I'm completely clueless as to whether or not Psychiatric Outpatient Treatment is reported or not. If not, perhaps that should be looked at. Regardless, limiting the type of weapon you can own, or the capacity of the magazines you use is obviously not going to do anything to fix any gun problems (real or perceived). Then again, we know all of this has nothing to do with "fixing" anything; rather, it's all about control. Still, when your liberal neighbor starts popping off Democrat Talking Points about how easy it is to purchase Automatic (a term they love to incorrectly use) Assault Weapons, you can inform him that this may have been more a result of bureaucracy than of law-abiding citizen having too many rights.

Although the complaint is that this JOKER bought his weapons legally, the latest information would refute that very premise. We are now hearing whispers that Dipstick was under the care and treatment of a mental health professional for what could only be a mental deficiency of some sort. In other words, if true, he was never LEGALLY authorized to purchase a firearm in the first place.

Believe me Chris, I feel your frustration. But the issue becomes, how does a gun dealer determine who is mentally unstable and therefore ineligible to purchase a firearm? If you look at the form one is required to fill out prior to purchase, there is a line that asks "have you ever been judged mentally il?" (or something to that effect).

Ask yourself, "who would admit to being mentally unstable when desiring to purchase a firearm?" The obvious answer is that even the most mentally deranged person wanting a gun is not going to answer truthfully to any of these sort of disqualifying questions. Nor will any criminal.

The continuation of the frustration stems from the medical industry's ability to hide such information from the public on the premis of Doctor/patient relationship. I can understand not revealing information about a cancerous growth but to hide a mental instability of a person under psychiatric care that could have homicidal tendencies, in my humble opinion borders on complicit behavior on the part of the medical industry and that doctor in particular.

Consider this: the medical profession by large is antigun. You would think that they would want to push their political agenda successfully whenever possible. So, if they could make it so even one person was denied their right to access to a firearm, why wouldn't they take those actions? Because in order to do so they would have to cooperated with the pro-gun side to accomplish their own goal and that, my friend, goes against everything the anti-gun crowd stands for.

Also consider that we on the pro-gun side are, in fact, very willing to police our side of the fence to ferret out the ones on our side of the fence that are doing us harm in our goal to maintain our 2A rights. This fact alone pizzes off the anti's. If they could find some way to cooperate, they could hel themselves.

Unless there is some sort of cooperation between the anti-gunners and the gunners, we will neve be able to prevent guns from getting into the hands of known (to the medical side) wacko's.

I'm going out on a limb here to make a prediction, that now that every theater is looked at for weapons by the cops and theater managers, the only ones they are going to prevent are those of us who legally conceal carry. The patrons coming out of these theaters, late at night, into darkened and often isolated parking lots are now a criminals best friend. If the crime rate under these conditions doesn't rise in the next few months, crooks are dumber than ever. Personally, under these circumstances, you couldn't get me within a mile of a theater, as situational awareness for avoiding criminals in the first place is foremost in my mind.

The theaters near my house encourage people to carry...the employees thanked me when I went there open carrying about a week ago

It is a well know fact that gun control is not about guns. It IS about power over the people.

As horrendous as this tragedy is/was, never let it be said that the authorities won't take advantage of it for their own power grab. As long the sheeple demand more restrictions on their own lives just so they can have that false sense of security, the authorities are willing to supply a tighter leash and a higher fence to provide the flock that feeling of safety. The average John Q Public will willingly bow down to more and more restrictions to their liberty for this false sense that the police presence presents.

Your average J.Q.P doesn't recognize that when the lawful are restricted the lawless have more power and the unprotected are in more danger than ever before. They are setting the precedence for themselves to be a victim.

Last edited:
I don't live far from that movie theater. Although I don't go to theaters because I hate the spilled soda stickiness on the floor and having popcorn down my neck from the kids behind me, however, I wish I had been there that night. I always sit as far back as I can (to avoid the popcorn issue) but I still would have had a decent shot or two (or three, four...)

Each state has a different penalty. In CO, at minimum, 2nd degree criminal trespass. With a gun, probably first degree if they wanted to make an example out of you. Check your state stats AND local ordinances. Ask a lawyer if you need to. I have Pre-Paid Legal, so I can ask my attorney any time I want.....

What is the penalty for carrying concealed in a place f business that has a sign that states no weapons?

The reason I ask is, my local movie theater has a sign on the front door, but not on the side door. A legal carrying citizen could enter that door and not be aware of the sign on the front.

HELL NO! Hunkering down?? Seriously? 1) .223 and 9mm rounds will penetrate those cheap theater seats like butter. 2) You owe a duty to yourself and your loved ones (at minimum). I'm not a SWAT but I'm going to make this MY battle. 3) the body armor might stop a round, but it's still going to knock him off his feet, leave a nasty bruise, which will be enough distraction to the shooter. That distraction allows you enough time to advance on him and take necessary steps to keep the situation contained. In other words, when he's distracted, do what you need to do.
In a classroom, for example, douse the guy with hot coffee (there's always someone who stopped at Starbucks before class. Throw a chair at him- better yet, throw EVERY chair in the room at him. beat him silly with the chairs that have bounced off him.
On an airplane, clock the attacker from behind with a laptop computer, or any carry-on, especially the ones that are not supposed to be on the plane in the first case.
In a store (maybe a Wal-Mart) there are literally dozens of self-defense weapons in the checkout area alone, never mind the whole store.....
The point is this: In any one of these scenarios, you should do whatever you can do...ANYTHING...not only for yourself, but for others as well. Don't go quietly into the night- make some frickin' noise!

I totally agree. A situation like this calls for a defensive action. The key is to not draw the shooter's attention. The best way to accomplish this is by hunkering down behind the best cover you can find.

Here's where the choice comes into play:

If you're not armed and the shooter spots you, it's way too late to run - you're at the shooter's mercy.

If you are armed and the shooter spots you, you have a fighting chance to take him out, or, at the very least, cause him to look for defenseless targets.

If you're alone, hunker down. If you're presented with a good shot athe the obvious bad guy, you have a (really quick) decision to make...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back