Can We PA-leez Put the Sheep Dog Myth To Rest?

i ain't nobody's sheep and nobody's dog
wonder why military wear 'dog' tags because they nothing but trained killers who think they protecting our country when the fact remains they are not protecting our citizens they are instead protecting the powers that be and fighting their wars not our own .......our own battles are not fought in uniforms ......once you put on a uniform you are someone elses subject and just because you wear one don't make you any more honorable or trustworthy than anyone else imo

i ain't nobody's sheep and nobody's dog
wonder why military wear 'dog' tags because they nothing but trained killers who think they protecting our country when the fact remains they are not protecting our citizens they are instead protecting the powers that be and fighting their wars not our own .......our own battles are not fought in uniforms ......once you put on a uniform you are someone elses subject and just because you wear one don't make you any more honorable or trustworthy than anyone else imo

You do know that 90% of the people that post here are vets right?

yup but i'm still entitled to my opinion and many vets also come to realize they were used as war dogs to fight a rich mans war......most of those are the ones who have pstd and many have even taken their own lives when they realized they sold their souls for lies and didn't see light at end of tunnel
i have family in the military as we speak and they also know my feelings about all these bogus war games the powers that be orchestrate so they can remain rulership over the masses and serving the crown and her corporations.......you troop supporters need to wake up and realize who they really fighting for and if you think it's for OUR rights you need to do your homework imo.....learn the truth that you have been lied to all your life and this support your troops propaganda is just that .....more psyops on the public to sway their opinions to justify the genocides we call 'war'

i'd rather be hated for speaking the truth than loved for going along with a status quo when i know it's a lie

As a veteran myself, I honestly could not agree with you more Eagleeyes.
I now feel exactly as you do on the subject (with age comes wisdom).
The truth hurts and most people don't want to hear it unfortunately.

thanks outlaw.....it takes a brave person to speak the truth when you know there are others around vehemently disagree and or just plan can't see it ......and would rather not investigate it but rather shoot the messenger or 'dislike' us for speaking out the facts ......which they don't yet know.....or willfully deny one.....
happy holidays to you my wise friend

I am a thirty year active duty retired Marine. A large part of that career was spent in actual combat zones. As I get older and study history (real history, not media induced history!) I find less and less attraction to war. I realize now that I (and Soldiers and Marines today) fought to protect the guy next to me, not the country. I knew nothing of politics and didn't really care about "national interests" or ideologies. I fought because I cared about my Marine buddies and my mission was to keep them alive. Therin lies the source of the valor and courage of the Individual soldier/Marine.This should be and must be respected when regarding that Individual. As far as the people who send us to war, they have been padding their personal fortunes at the expense of young men/women with platitudes and slogans for a long time now. Everybody should read " War is a Racket" by MG Smedley D. Butler USMC, two time Medal of Honor winner. The book was written in 1935 but it still stands. Some players have changed but it is still the same "old gang". When you read his remarks about the Japanese and Germans, remember that the POTUS was then trying desperately to get us into the European conflict, for good reasons as well as bad. American bankers (many of then American Jews)were, at that time, bankrolling Adolf Hitler in rearming Germany. (Yes, he did rearm on USA and British funds, Germany had no money!) I will not digress into the argument at this point,read the book. MG Butler was a hero and a fighter not a bleeding heart Liberal. Book is available in paperback and Kindle at Amazon.

Description of MG Butler: War Is a Racket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have become a very selfish people, with an attitude of "I gotta get mine" "screw everybody else" "That doesn't affect me so none of my business". "I don't know you so screw you" " I only care about myself and my own family".

The fights that occurred on "black friday" over stuff in stores shows that we have become people that would value something like a big screen t.v. over the life/ well being of a stranger.

Criminials will always be around with these attitudes, yet this mindset has become the mainstream accepted way of thinking of the general public. Me & mine , screw everybody else.

Jesus of Nazareth taught to help everyone not only your family and those that love you, but help people that don't even know you.

This isn't directed at cc It applies in everyday life

Everytime I hear or see the word "sheepdog" I think of that Youtube guy, Nutnfancy.... Lol, he makes me laugh. I like some of his shooting videos but whenever he starts into his ideology "sheepdog" stuff, I click another video...

Everytime I hear or see the word "sheepdog" I think of that Youtube guy, Nutnfancy.... Lol, he makes me laugh. I like some of his shooting videos but whenever he starts into his ideology "sheepdog" stuff, I click another video...

I actually work with a guy that just about worships the ground nut(they got the NUT part right)nfancy walks on.

I ran into him at the city clerks office one day and he went into a full on rant about how any permit holder that walks out of his home unarmed is failing to do his civic duty as a sheepdog and is no more than a cowardly leech sucking the blood of society.

This yutz actually think I'm going to go shooting with him some day

I actually work with a guy that just about worships the ground nut(they got the NUT part right)nfancy walks on.

I ran into him at the city clerks office one day and he went into a full on rant about how any permit holder that walks out of his home unarmed is failing to do his civic duty as a sheepdog and is no more than a cowardly leech sucking the blood of society.

This yutz actually think I'm going to go shooting with him some day

Wow... that's pretty harsh of an interpretaion of people who don't carry. I don't carry while on duty/base because... I can't. Does that make me a leeach?

Wow... that's pretty harsh of an interpretaion of people who don't carry. I don't carry while on duty/base because... I can't. Does that make me a leeach?

Of course not. Nutnfancy simply follows a code of ethics that he learned of while building a long and successful career in the military, where he followed the UCMJ exactly as you do as regards carrying. He never would've advised Treo's acquaintance to do otherwise.

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, another career military man, is widely accepted as the author, or maybe the best (and maybe first) "articulator" is a better word, of the code of ethics that nutnfancy talks about in a handful of his videos. I'm sure Grossman likewise followed the law of no carrying on base, but was a committed sheepdog regardless of his armed status when it comes to the choice of either standing by, or acting, as innocents are victimized. It seems an unworthy-of-ridicule code for living to me. If just one unarmed sheepdog had the mental preparedness to act when that guy got pushed onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train the other day, and was unable to extricate himself for more than a full minute, he might still be alive. That's all the sheepdog mentality is. Just act if/when you have the ability and opportunity to help someone from being unnecessarily harmed.

Nutnfancy has said many times on a number of issues deriving from non-gear-review videos he posts, that if you don't like the subject-matter, just click off the video. He would (and does) fully support you doing that Bob. But demeaning him for following, and once in awhile actively promoting, a code that seeks to protect those who are unable, for whatever reason, to protect themselves, seems a bit "out there" to me.

I fully sign onto everything BHG1978 said in his post, and condemn as selfish, cowardly, uncaring, "let-them-eat-cake," pacifistic crap everything I've ever read from the "anti sheepdog" on the topic.

Blues

After reading the comments, I still do not understand how it is that owning or carrying a gun somehow makes me obligated to play superman. My obligations to my fellow human beings do not change simply because I own a firearm. Of course, it apparently does for many of you and no doubt some of you are folks who will claim to be defenseless if you don't have a gun. I never understood that mentality either.

I personally despise the sheepdog analogy. I do not carry a gun for the protection of the people around me.

There was an article (op-ed) today in the Springs Gazette about how C.U. needs CCW on campus (it does) and how by allowing it the board of regents would get a campus full of plain clothes volunteer security guards. I cringed when I read it, the last thing we need is for CHP holders to think that the card imputes some type of police powers.

If we make the analogy at all far do we take it? Would you "intervene" if someone w/out a handicapped sticker parked in a handicapped spot? Are we the new "Guardian Angles"? Who BTW have pretty much left Co Springs because they were universally despised.

There is (or was they may have disbanded) a group of citizens here in the Springs called the "C.B. Citizen's Patrol" they all wore black BDUs and OC'd and drove around south Co Springs all night on "the look out" for crime. They actually spent most of the evening patrolling the South Gate IHOP. You say "sheep dog" that's where my mind goes.

BTW generally when a sheep dog meets a coyote ( or a wolf for that matter) the sheep dog doesn't fare too well

You are fairly naive to believe that sheepdogs are there to magnanimously serve to protect sheep at all cost to their own lives. If you wish to equate yourself with actual sheepdogs then understand that they are not this romantic version being spewed here any more than men in general are quintessential chivalrous good samaritans.

First and foremost, a sheepdog works at the beck and call of a master who commands the sheepdog regularly, both rewarding and punishing the dog as needed.(Bad sheep dogs generally don't live to adulthood, they are killed by the sheppherd) Proclaiming you are a sheepdog is to proclaim that somebody else is telling you what to do everyday, day in and day out. The sheepdog lives to serve the master, not to protect the flock. Who is your master?

While a sheepdog serves to protect the sheep, that is just one aspect, the myth today of a Warner Brothers cartoon. Their job isn't so much about protection, but about control of the flock. They are there to dominate the flock in to behaving or moving in manners deemed by the master. The master is there to exploit the flock as s/he isn't magnanimous either. The sheepdog is there to make sure the master gets what he wants from the flock. So the sheepdogs see to it that the master can do whatever he wants to the sheep, be it shearing them or killing them.

How does the sheepdog tend to the master's needs with the flock? Is the sheepdog a nice guy who politely asks the flock to comply with the master's wishes. No. The sheepdog is the henchman that bullies the flock into compliance through intimidation and pain.

some those organized 'sheepdog' are just like gangs busting folks and setting folks up even so they can confiscate the cars drugs money guns ..... to pay themselves reward themselves with their 'good work' just a smaller version of the larger mob squads with badges all to make money not only themselves but their bosses who take the larger percent... on up to the military the biggest gang on the planet again they don't fight for our freedom they fighting for their bosses and we not their boss........who controls them controls even infiltrate smaller groups of organized citizens and or creates them to further their agenda .........all roads lead to rome

some those organized 'sheepdog' are just like gangs busting folks and setting folks up even so they can confiscate the cars drugs money guns ..... to pay themselves reward themselves with their 'good work' just a smaller version of the larger mob squads with badges all to make money not only themselves but their bosses who take the larger percent... on up to the military the biggest gang on the planet again they don't fight for our freedom they fighting for their bosses and we not their boss........who controls them controls even infiltrate smaller groups of organized citizens and or creates them to further their agenda .........all roads lead to rome

OK but since that's not what we're talking about here why don't you go somewhere else

One thing I want to address Blues mentions aiding your fellow man with out a gun and in fact I said the exact same thing in this post:

What good would it do? Wouldn't your time be better spent trying to help the poor guy that got pushed onto the tracks?

I don’t see something like that as sheepdoggery that’s just doing the decent thing and I have no problem with that.

My issue is when nutnfancy talks about being a sheep dog he makes it clear being a “sheepdog” is predicated on carrying a gun and using that gun to fight crime and rescue the sheep. I challenge anyone out there to show my a video where nutnfancy states that if you walk out your door with out a pair of jumper cables you have failed in your civic duty as a sheep dog . My buddy from work never asks me if I’m carrying a barrier device (I’ve never had to use a gun to assist a bystander but I have done CPR) and tells me I’m a blood sucking leech if I’m not.

When it comes down to being a “sheep dog” it’s always about the gun; it’s always about getting into a gun battle with some bad guy to defend the 20$ in Burger King’s till.

Then when someone like me says “That’s not why I carry a gun” it morphs into “and you’d stand there and watch you’re fellow man freeze to death on the street.” While the chest beaters congratulate themselves on how brave they are.

So, let me be clear here, when I say I’m not a sheep dog I mean ‘I’m not the guy that likes to aggrandize himself on the internet by stating that the fact that I have a concealed carry permit somehow invests me with police authority and a duty to respond to any and all crimes I may encounter regardless of my knowledge of said crime or my possession of the facts concerning the scenario I’m interjecting myself into or any way of providing for my family if I’m crippled or killed in so doing.”

And now if you’ll excuse me “Big Bang” is on

My issue is when nutnfancy talks about being a sheep dog he makes it clear being a “sheepdog” is predicated on carrying a gun and using that gun to fight crime and rescue the sheep. I challenge anyone out there to show my a video where nutnfancy states that if you walk out your door with out a pair of jumper cables you have failed in your civic duty as a sheep dog .

If jumping somebody off who has a dead battery is all the further you're willing to go to save them from "harm," you definitely should continue on with your delusions of what it means to have a sheepdog mentality. You'll stay out of the way of whoever is really prepared to step up that way.

Aside from that, you're just flat out wrong that nutnfancy's or Lt. Col. Grossman's philosophy focuses entirely on gun-play. Here's the Description to the video that nutnfancy posted to clarify exactly what he means when he refers to "his sheepdogs in TNP." I challenge you to show me the word "gun" or "shoot" or anything that can be remotely connected to a laser-beam-like focus on weaponry to fulfill the duty he feels to his his fellow man within his explanation of how he views the concept:

The Sheepdog Concept
Uploaded on Nov 4, 2009
Your actions could save lives. At the heart of what I have referred to as The Sheepdog is a selflessness that looks outwardly to the needs of others. They cannot abide watching their fellow humans beings suffer and die while they do nothing. They are compelled into action even when those actions could lead to their own deaths or injury. The Sheepdog comes from every walk of life, every race, and can be male or female; it is impossible to identify them from appearance alone. It is their actions in the face of horrific situations that reveals the Sheepdog as they step forward when no one else will. Lenny Skutnik, in the face of the tragic Air Florida crash in 1982 into the icy Potomac River, was just such an unassuming Sheepdog. He jumped into the aviation fuel soaked and frigid waters to save passenger Priscilla Tirado just before she slipped beneath the water to her death. Hundreds had been watching Priscilla flounder and would have watch her die without doing anything. These are sheep that are frozen into inaction by their lives of denial and lack of mental and material preparation. They are not bad people but nore are they heroic; they're just there. Leeny's Sheepdog heart was revealed that day. They are others like him in civilian, law enforcement, fire fighting, and military ranks. But they are relatively few indeed and they are special. Few have what I feel possess the other key qualities of the Sheepdog (discussed in the video): a strong value system, unassuming manner, bravery, judgment and maturity, preparation, practiced skill sets, and a strong sense of duty in the face of often scary circumstances. The Sheepdog Concept is foundational to my gear reviews here: an attempt to give quality information to help equip you good people for your "day." Both mental and material prepartation can expand your capabilities in this important calling. Good Sheepdogs span the ranks and include responsible and caring civilians, law enforcement officials, firefighters, paramedics, PJs, EMTs, pilots, and soldiers. Many of these come to TNP to get this info as they equip and prepare. I try hard not to let them down. I salute them all and I myself try to aspire to their level.

I have no doubt in my mind that if that video had been made this week, instead of three years ago, nutnfancy would've used the guy on the train tracks as an example of the tragedy that can happen when people willing to engage their sheepdog hearts aren't around. It is not all about the gun with him.

What he opened with was the story of Lenny Skutnik, mentioned above in his description. He put others ahead of himself. He didn't have or need a gun to earn the honor of being viewed as a sheepdog by nutnfancy. He just did the insane thing of diving into freezing water to pull one of the four survivors of a plane crash out of the water when it became apparent that the helicopter crew that was trying to save her was going to fail. A dangerous, selfless act. No guns. Not even any crime involved. Just selflessness. That's it.

He highlighted in the video that being a sheepdog means being as well-versed as one can be in first aid, because you never know when your skills might be needed.

Yeah, he told a couple or three stories about sheepdogs whose armed status allowed them to save the day too. But it's about the selflessness, not about being "Superman" or a hero or anybody special at all. Just be willing to act if/when you are able and the opportunity arises where your action(s) will be a net gain.

This is really weird for me, because all I've ever been interested in at YouTube was gear reviews and music. For me, I almost never seek out videos of gun reviews, and rarely sit through political speeches or recordings of news events, but rather, I try to get a closer and better look at knives I'm interested in, or body armor and plate carriers (when I was working in armored transport), backpacks, custom sheaths, whatever camping and/or survival gear I'm in the market for at any given time. Nutnfancy reviews all of the stuff I'm interested in, and it really baffles me that he's slammed for the things he's slammed for. If I want as much info on a knife as I can find, would I go to a manufacturer's 2-minute marketing video, or to a 45 minute full-on field test out in the woods using the knife for chopping, batoning, shelter-building, making snare-traps etc? Duh. But the #1 complaint of nutnfancy is that he's too long-winded! And on this forum, it's that he believes in selflessness too much! He believes that the survival training and combat experience that he learned from his fighter-pilot-father, supplemented by becoming a fighter pilot himself first, and as a tanker pilot up to retirement from the Air Force, should be beneficial to the society he walks around more or less free in now that he's retired. The nerve of that guy, huh?

I'm not even claiming that I'm a sheepdog really. I do believe that I would have the presence of mind to quickly evaluate most situations I might find myself in, and determine if it was time to step in and if it would likely be a help or a hindrance if I did. I would like to think that if my determination was that I could be a help to preventing someone(s) from being harmed without exacerbating the overall situation, that I would have the fortitude and courage to do it, whether or not it involved my gun. The gun is only one tool used in the sheepdog's toolbox. It could be your loud voice as you take control of a chaotic situation. It could be as simple as reaching down and giving someone a hand up from the well of a train track when many bystanders are just frozen by group-think to not get involved, or they're scared or whatever. Or it may well involve the use of a gun. But it boils down to a selfless mentality, and that is the crux of the philosophy, not the gun.

Then when someone like me says “That’s not why I carry a gun” it morphs into “and you’d stand there and watch you’re fellow man freeze to death on the street.”

Maybe that's because those people actually listened to what is meant by the concept of a sheepdog, and you, obviously, have not. At least not where nutnfancy is concerned, because clearly, you have his philosophy pegged 180 degrees out of phase if you think his only focus is on using your gun, or even crime-fighting at all. It's about being helpful if/when you can be, reducing suffering if/when you can, wanting/expecting nothing in return, not even praise.

While the chest beaters congratulate themselves on how brave they are.

And who might that be?

So, let me be clear here, when I say I’m not a sheep dog I mean ‘I’m not the guy that likes to aggrandize himself on the internet by stating that the fact that I have a concealed carry permit somehow invests me with police authority and a duty to respond to any and all crimes I may encounter regardless of my knowledge of said crime or my possession of the facts concerning the scenario I’m interjecting myself into or any way of providing for my family if I’m crippled or killed in so doing.”

Nah, you're just the guy who criticizes and tells half-truths about a freakin' YouTube video producer who encourages his friends and fans to do what they can to help others when the opportunity presents itself. You "aggrandize" yourself by putting others down, but you're right, you stand firmly against the idea that if you can help, can evaluate the situation to the point of knowing whether or not your intervention will actually help rather than hinder the situation, can show courage when the odds are against you (like Lenny Skutnik, not necessarily someone using a gun), then you won't. It ain't your business. You're not getting involved. And that's fine. You'd be in the way anyway. But I have no idea why it's important to you to put down those who would involve themselves in selfless acts of courage. It seems obsessive with you, what with that "the anti sheepdog" crap next to your nick. Whatever.

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back