Trying to Carry in Ohio

BIGJOHN621

Well, I have a trip to a conference planned for the upcoming weekend and have been trying to educate myself and plan my route. My final destination is Columbus, OH and I have several permits that they recognize so, I will be taking my handgun with me. In order to avoid the stop, disarm, start, rearm, I'm avoiding NJ and can carry uninterrupted to my destination.

Now, I know that the Columbus Convention Center is a posted no weapon zone, as I checked this last year when I was at this same convention. I did not carry last year because I flew to the show and originated in NYC, so that was a no go with a handgun. Due to other reasons, this year is a road trip.

Now, I know the PA carry laws very well as I am always there and have a non-res PA permit. Have the printouts of the statutes in the visor of the car in an envelope, ready for the unlikely chance of an LEO challenge. (There has been a lot of raucous in Philly about non-res permits and with the State Police about out of staters, I am told, so just to be safe I have the laws so I can be sure I am compliant although I have had ZERO problems in PA)

I have attempted to do the same for OH and am having quite the time with it. Are there really that many restrictions in OH as to where you can carry? It seems to me that there is a web of laws set up in OH as a trap for the armed citizens. Is it just me, or is it really as complex as the laws make it sound? Must notify, no government owned buildings unless used as a comfort station, etc. Is there a secret decoder ring for these? Wow. Seems like you can arm, drive to your destination, disarm and rearm when you get in the car again -- only if you don't drive to a restricted place. I'm baffled by the web of restrictions. I am beginning to agree with nogods that NY isn't so bad......

We will see how this turns out.

Were you planning on visiting that many government buildings while you are in Columbus?

We may have more restricted areas than NY but that is probably because in NY it is so hard to get a full carry permit they know not too many people are going to be carrying anyway. Whereas Ohio is "shall issue" and the numbers of licensed individuals keeps growing. We recently hit around 275000.

I frequent Ohio often from pa and i carry on my az permit. Conceal or open their isn't and issue the cops don't bother you just to bother you.

They are also aware of the firearms laws. Do not carry in federal buildings, stay away from schools, and you cannot carry in places of worship.

You also must inform the police when you come in contact with them that you are armed with 5/10 seconds and other then that you should be fine.

You are unlikely to be stopping at State or Municipal government buildings if passing thru so you are OK. If you do, just lock it in the car. State Rest Stops are clearly marked as such and quite large, you can carry in the building and on the grounds there since they modified the law. The FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember is that when stopped or coming in official contact with an officer you must IMMEDIATELY inform him you are carrying a gun and have a permit - and NEVER touch or put your hand near the gun unless intructed to do so, doing so is a felony. All churches are off limits unless specifically authorized by the church. Any business has to be PROMINENTLY marked with a no firearms sign if they don't want you there. You can carry in any place that serves alcohol now, as long as YOU are not drinking and have not consumed. It sounds more complicated tha it is. those are the basics.

Having just been there for the last two weeks, no contact with the police for any reason so no worries. Only place posted no loaded guns in Ohio where I went was a gun shop. In WV, even the gun shop wasn't posted.

The problem seems to be the buildings owned or leased by the state government. I have no clue how to identify those. I'm going to the Columbus Convention Center, a safe zone for criminals (no gun signs posted on every door), a hotel, and perhaps a restaurant for food. That's it.

Thank you all for the help. If they trust you with a gun, why not everywhere?

This site might help you out. It is part of the Buckeye Firearm Association and they list out which business are posted. It isn't 100% as the list is updated by members as they discover locations that are posted. IT is something I check on before I go to a new location. Good luck with your trip.

Link Removed

I'm guessing your going to the Arnold Classic? This weekend. I will be there. I travel to Ohio at the beginning of every month. I carry all the time there. Never had a problem with the different areas of places I can CCW or not CCW just watch out. And look up the Ohio law over view on this website its pretty good.

I'm guessing your going to the Arnold Classic? This weekend. I will be there. I travel to Ohio at the beginning of every month. I carry all the time there. Never had a problem with the different areas of places I can CCW or not CCW just watch out. And look up the Ohio law over view on this website its pretty good.
Absolutely. I'm associated with a vendor that displays there so every year it's the same pilgrimage. Come home and fly out to the vitamin show in Anaheim next weekend. Hate California. Communists.

Enjoy the show.

Absolutely. I'm associated with a vendor that displays there so every year it's the same pilgrimage. Come home and fly out to the vitamin show in Anaheim next weekend. Hate California. Communists.

Enjoy the show.

Most government buildings in Ohio are required to post a gun buster sign at the entrance (conspicuous place). ALL private entities are required to post a sign if they do not want firearms on their property. Look for the sign.

This site might help you out. It is part of the Buckeye Firearm Association and they list out which business are posted. It isn't 100% as the list is updated by members as they discover locations that are posted. IT is something I check on before I go to a new location. Good luck with your trip.

Link Removed

That's actually part of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, not BFA.

Ok, back from Ohio and the Arnold Sports Show and I have never seen a police presence like I saw there. Being from NY and working in NYC for as many years as I have, that's quite a statement, I assure you. There were DHS Police Scanning and searching all of the buses, there were DHS and Ohio State Police with Canines working the crowd, common areas and vehicles. There were armed Fire Marshals with dogs sweeping every bus and parking area. WOW.

Now for the firearms issues. The gun laws in Ohio are kind of whacky, but simple enough once you get learn them. I must admit that I was a bit trepidatious about carrying with all of the "restrictions", but it turned out to be no issue. While the Greater Columbus Convention Center and attached Hyatt hotel are posted gun-free zones, most everywhere else was OK, just as long as I walked on the correct side of the street outside the Capitol Buildings (yes, one side of the sidewalk closest to the buildings are off-limits as is the parking garage even though the buildings were closed all weekend). It was kind of odd not telling my partners why I wanted to walk on a certain side of the street, but, I don't discuss my carry habits and didn't make a big deal of it. A simple "let's cross here" and away we went. They assume I am armed but never ask or speak of it. Other than mentioned, I saw no gun buster prohibition signs or had any hassles at all. Left the gun in a locking safe inside the trunk of my vehicle when going to the prohibited areas, and there were no issues. Next year I won't be so paranoid.

While Ohio seems a bit difficult, and we would all like to see the restricted areas dropped, it was really no big deal and I didn't give it a thought once I knew the rules of the game.

Most government buildings in Ohio are required to post a gun buster sign at the entrance (conspicuous place). ALL private entities are required to post a sign if they do not want firearms on their property. Look for the sign.

In an opinion from the Ohio AG, ALL Non-State government buildings that are not otherwise SPECIFICALLY prohibited MUST post or they are not prohibited. As we know, State buildings are off limits, but county and municipal buildings must be posted, unless they are a listed no-gun zone (court, jail, etc.)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back