Taurus Brand

I just bought a Taurus PT111 milpro 9mm.It shoots as
well as my smith 908.I just sold my taurus ultralite.38
it was scary accurate and great for ccw but I favor autos.

Taurus

I have had a Taurus 5 shot revolver that I carry as an ankle gun, for 39 years. It still fires good. The aim is good and I depend on it.

Yeah, well, I am old fashion, probably due to my age. I don't exactley trust the semi-auto's.
I guess I should give them a try though, just because you can get more shots off at one time.
What would someone recommend for an auto newbee to start with. 9 mil? I don't want a real heavy gun that will pull my pants down. Then I would have to fight off all of the ladies.

Hey Peye,
I personally would suggest 9mm.My taurus pt11 is light, a little thick though.But look at the bersa .380 thunder.
Compact, very light and a good shooter too.The ammo I think is still hard to get if you plan on doing alot of
shooting.Also the keltec P9 in 9mm,really small but have'nt read reviews yet.

Hey Y'all: If there is one observation I have made when it comes to firearm recommendations is that there is NO firearm with a concensus opinion one way or the other. One guy raves, another uses it as a paperweight. I would make an exception for a Glock but even there, I take it with a slight grain of salt since it is clouded a bit with "religion" as they pray to the Glock god. Taurus, for the price is as good as it gets. Some have problems--others do not. Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty but that is only as good as customer service. Internet purchase is usually cheaper but having a good reliable gun shop to back up your purchase can be a blessing. Good luck. IMO, for the price, you cannot go wrong with a Taurus.

Kel Tec PF-9 and P-11

Hey Peye,
I personally would suggest 9mm.My taurus pt11 is light, a little thick though.But look at the bersa .380 thunder.
Compact, very light and a good shooter too.The ammo I think is still hard to get if you plan on doing alot of
shooting.Also the keltec P9 in 9mm,really small but have'nt read reviews yet.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Kel Tec PF-9. I don't believe there is a "P-9". There's the PF-9 and the P-11. I haven't heard much for reviews of these, but both myself and a friend own P-11s. We both like ours but don't use them for full time carry. It's pretty accurate, PLENTY accurate for defensive purpose, but we have learned that they both need to be very clean to perform well. After some soft holster carry and sitting around and getting a little dusty, the combination of some dust and lint caused them to perform poorly, specifically had several FTFs. When clean, tho, they've performed very well. My friend even accidentally loaded his with .380 ammo (brain-fart). Had a couple FTFs but most of the magazine was fired before I saw that he'd loaded it with the wrong ammo and made him cease fire immediately. Talk about being red in the face! He was more than a little embarassed.

It's a toss-up between the PF-9 and the P11. Personally I like the P11 for the 10-rd capacity coming from such a small pistol. On the other hand, the PF-9 has, I think, a 7-rd capacity but has an accessory rail to accomodate a light or laser. Things to weigh.

Lastly, I've thought for a while that a big reason for my Taurus PT140's flawless performance might be at least partly due to having kept it very clean and lubed.

I got a Taurus .38 It aint sleek and sexy, but it goes bang everytime the trigger is pulled. And the price is reasonable.

I have, and have owned many, many Taurus pistols in 38, 357, 45, 9mm, 40, 38 Super, etc... Currently I have a PT1911, PT92, and PT99 in Semi Auto's and 608 Revolver. the only one I ever had problems with was the 38 super. It was made during the gun shortage we had at the beginning of the 2009 year, and quality control for this one was horrible. Other than that, I love them. I would not hesitate to buy more! I also own Smith and Wesson M&P, Beretta 92fs, Cobra Long Bore 9mm Derringer, Stoeger Cougar, Walther PP22 "Presentation pistol" from 1971 and the list goes on. But my favorite shooting pistol would have to be the PT1911 from Taurus.

I own 20+ Taurus handguns. About 1/2 auto and 1/2 revolver. The autos swill outshoot every Beretta I own. The revolvers will outshoot every Ruger I own and all of the S&W's except for the performance center ones. My son has a Taurus 1911 that I gave a good workout to. Shooting without sandbags, 25 yards was a ragged hole. 50 yards opened up to 1 inch groups. At 200 yards, I was holding an 8 inch pattern. I would stake my life and reputation on a Taurus any day of the week. They have never been very particular about ammo put through them either.
I am still laughing at this one. 8 inch groups at 200 yards. 50 yards 1" groups? 25 yards sub MOA? With an inexpensive .45 1911? Dude are you claiming to be Sergeant York? Smart bullets? I find your claims of marksmanship utterly ridiculous. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I own a 709 slim 9mm and a PT145. Both are perfect for carry, extremely accurate. Everyone goes out of their way to put the Taurus down, but I honestly chose my two carry pieces over my S&W for reliability.

I went to the range today w/PT111 pro and never had so much fun!
At 25 ft. I put 1 1/2 boxes throught it,115 gr.fmj and accuracy was
about 3" low to start then the tight groups came.Practice will b better.
What a nice gun! comfortable,affordable to shoot,accurate and conceals
very well.I am pleased.Just need a handall grip sleeve for better feel.:cool:

Semi-auto

duke of Essex:

Thanks for your post. What length barrel do the semis come in? I want something with knockdown power but also something fairly small and concealable. I am a PI and plan on going into Bounty Hunting. Since I got a carry concealed permit in 1971 (I think), I have always carried revolvers. The two I like best is my nickel S&W 2.5" barrel, Airweight, and my 3" Taurus 5 shot. I am old school and never trusted semis but I know times have changed and for my work I should have more shots.

I want to thank the group in advance for your help and advice.

peye

Pt111

Bikerboy:

As I told you guys and gals, I don't know much about autos. May I ask what ammo does the PT111 take? 9 Mil?

Are they expensive? I have noticed that quite a few of you mentioned that model.

Thanks.

duke of Essex:

Thanks for your post. What length barrel do the semis come in? I want something with knockdown power but also something fairly small and concealable. I am a PI and plan on going into Bounty Hunting. Since I got a carry concealed permit in 1971 (I think), I have always carried revolvers. The two I like best is my nickel S&W 2.5" barrel, Airweight, and my 3" Taurus 5 shot. I am old school and never trusted semis but I know times have changed and for my work I should have more shots.

I want to thank the group in advance for your help and advice.

peye
Dog the bounty hunter uses pepper spray, paint ball guns, and his wife Beth's huge breasts. What you need a gun for?
:laugh:

Hi peye, I only know about the guns I have owned. The length of barrel for semi-auto's is all over the board depending on maker. if you are referring to the Taurus line of pistols, the best bet is to visit their website. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
I personally have a problem with small semi-auto pistols because my hands are very large. They go along with the rest of me, as I am 275lbs and 6' so I can hide numerous guns on my person without detection, the smallest being a Stoeger Cougar. Also the Taurus 608 comes in a 4" with 8 rounds of 357 magnum if you want more capacity in a revolver.
Just remember that what you carry isn't as important as how you use it. Most encounters will be within 15-20 ft.or less. And if things really get hairy, I have a 9mm derringer for up close and personal. To the iceman I find your dry humor refreshing, you must be British. I notice your comic lines on most posts around here, and it is good to have someone like you to call us all out. Minnesota must be a breeding ground for talent such as yours! :sarcastic: Keep up the great posts.

You can laugh all you want. Just because you can't shoot that well, doesn't mean there are those out there who can't. I've been shooting every week for almost 40 years. I shoot competition (not for money). I also load and tune my own ammo. The Taurus PT 1911 is a match grade gun out of the box. I have many, many guns and only a small portion (about 20) are Tauruses. Not all shoot that well. I have guns that you'd have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn with, no matter how well you shoot. So, guy, keep laughing, and get out there and practice, practice, practice. Or better yet, find a good instructor that can help you reign in your groups, like I did and have a friend load you some high quality reloads. You might find you can shoot that well too. I have S&W Performance Center revolvers that will shoot that well too (just for your info). My Dan Wesson .414 Super Mag, well, I can plink soda cans all day long at 300 yards. So, laugh on...........I'd bet my life and my Taurus against your Beretta any day of the week. BTW, if you notice, there are a number of posters that have stated their Taurus will outshoot most of their other guns.
I am sure you and your Taurus are everything you claim to be. Have a nice day.:pleasantry:

I know I really love my Taurus handguns.

Dudeorific; can you please post up some video of your shooting? I'm sure we all would like to see it. Most of us come to forums like this for tips & insights that may improve or ability; you may be able to help.

I know I really love my Taurus handguns.

Dudeorific; can you please post up some video of your shooting? I'm sure we all would like to see it. Most of us come to forums like this for tips & insights that may improve or ability; you may be able to help.

Some of us occasionally enjoy the entertainment value as well...... :lol:

gf

to:

theicemanmpls........IMaybe, I'm wrong, but I sense some sarcasm. When I posted my reply, I wasn't trying to put you down or preach to/at you. I was just trying to show that it didn't come easily or quickly. Lots of practice and training. Good instructors, etc. I am by no means a Jerry Miculek, but I'm proud of what I have achieved over the years. If I offended you, I'm sorry, no offense was intended.
Originally Posted by Dudeorific
I own 20+ Taurus handguns. About 1/2 auto and 1/2 revolver. The autos swill outshoot every Beretta I own. The revolvers will outshoot every Ruger I own and all of the S&W's except for the performance center ones. My son has a Taurus 1911 that I gave a good workout to. Shooting without sandbags, 25 yards was a ragged hole. 50 yards opened up to 1 inch groups. At 200 yards, I was holding an 8 inch pattern. I would stake my life and reputation on a Taurus any day of the week. They have never been very particular about ammo put through them either.

If you say so. I believe you. You should write Taurus. I want to see you in their ad's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back