Taurus Brand

I spent a lot of time at an indoor range down the street from a store that pushed Taurus. They were the highest fail out of the box gun that showed up there. It seems their QC dept is in the RA dept.

Too many horror stories for me to ever buy one.

Have a Taurus .357 from early '90s and a late model .454 Casull. Both look like copies of S&W and perform flawless as well.
The only negative thing I can say about Taurus is resale value.
I bought my .357 in early '90s for $350. Today it may be worth $300.
If I payed the extra $100 for the S&W, it would be worth $600 today.:fie:

Hey Peye,
I personally would suggest 9mm.My taurus pt11 is light, a little thick though.But look at the bersa .380 thunder.
Compact, very light and a good shooter too.The ammo I think is still hard to get if you plan on doing alot of
shooting.Also the keltec P9 in 9mm,really small but have'nt read reviews yet.

I personally like Springfield XD-9 sub-compact for carry. You can purchase the "essential pac" for $399 or the "gear pac" for $439 from VanceOutdoor.com out of Ohio.
I agree with the Bersa .380 being a nice carry gun. I carry one with Pow'R Ball +Ps in magazine.:laugh:

If Taurus is a piece of crap, does that make Smith & Wesson a piece of crap also? Taurus owns S&W... What about Rossi firearms? Nobody ever badmouths Rossi Revolvers, which are made by Taurus! I own four Taurus pistols, two Rossi Wheelies and one S&W, I haven't had the first damned problem with any of them. :yu:

Incorrect. Taurus has never owned Smith and Wesson - they just copied S&Ws designs. Smith and Wesson is owned by Safe-T-Hammer, who purchased it from Tomkins PLC in 2001. The president of Safe-T-Hammer at the time was Bob Scott, a former executive at Smith that became fed up with Tomkins PLC's policies and left the company. After the sale, Scott became president of Smith and Wesson.

Tomkins PLC was the owner at the time that Smith signed the agreements with the Clinton administration. Safe-T-Hammer was trying to get out of those through any loophole they could find.

Incorrect. Taurus has never owned Smith and Wesson - they just copied S&Ws designs. Smith and Wesson is owned by Safe-T-Hammer, who purchased it from Tomkins PLC in 2001. The president of Safe-T-Hammer at the time was Bob Scott, a former executive at Smith that became fed up with Tomkins PLC's policies and left the company. After the sale, Scott became president of Smith and Wesson.

Tomkins PLC was the owner at the time that Smith signed the agreements with the Clinton administration. Safe-T-Hammer was trying to get out of those through any loophole they could find.

Your correct as of today, but you need to research a little further back than 2000, "In 1968, the company was ready to venture into the U.S. market. This was accomplished by employing the services of a succession of U.S. distributors over the next several years. Their efforts met with only marginal success.
In the meantime, Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies. However, during the next seven years, a great deal of technology and methodology was passed between the two. What may come as a surprise to some is that more of what was "right" in Porto Alegre was sent to Springfield than was sent from Springfield to south of the equator.

1977 saw our present ownership buy 54% of Taurus outright from Bangor Punta. At once a quest to improve overall quality of Taurus product was initiated. Also, the company now began a dynamic expansion program." That is off the Taurus Webpage. :pleasantry:

Your correct as of today, but you need to research a little further back than 2000, "In 1968, the company was ready to venture into the U.S. market. This was accomplished by employing the services of a succession of U.S. distributors over the next several years. Their efforts met with only marginal success.
In the meantime, Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies. However, during the next seven years, a great deal of technology and methodology was passed between the two. What may come as a surprise to some is that more of what was "right" in Porto Alegre was sent to Springfield than was sent from Springfield to south of the equator.

1977 saw our present ownership buy 54% of Taurus outright from Bangor Punta. At once a quest to improve overall quality of Taurus product was initiated. Also, the company now began a dynamic expansion program." That is off the Taurus Webpage. :pleasantry:

That may be true (Bangor Punta did own S&W from 1965-1987) but as you say Taurus never owned S&W, they were sister companies. That era was also one of the worst for S&W as their quality went downhill. I have a firiend who bought a revolver made by them during this period and he had to take it to a gunsmith to get it fixed before the cylinder would turn (no I don't know why he bought it in that condition). My uncle bought a 629 during this same time frame and, while shooting it the first time, the BARREL CAME OFF THE D@MN GUN!! By the time Tomkins bought S&W they were in very bad shape. Tomkins PLC did some good things but Smith came back as the world's premier revolver manufacturer (a title that IMO they share with Ruger) after Safe-T-Hammer bought them in 2001. All of their best modern-era work (titanium revolvers, scandium revolvers, the M&P line of autos, etc) came after they were bought by Safe-T-Hammer.

Have a Model 65, 357, rubber grips stock. No issues with over 500 rounds through it. BUT I have to add that its the loudest dam 357 I've ever owned. Not sue why, my age maybe. Being priced way under S&W's and alike, I've got no fault with it. I squeeze the trigger-it goes BOOM. AT 5-7 Yrds with Mags, it's as deadly as they come. (Kind of bought it for those reasons)

just perchased taurus 709 slim. W

FTE EVERY:fie: MAG. COUPLE FTF.3 DIF. AMMO. HAS ANYONE DELT WITH TAURUS CS?

My personal experiance with Taurus cust service was the pits, its a good thing I like the gun, or I would mail it back to them and tell them to put it where the sun don't shine

sent 709 to taurus. got it back in 6days.wow said they adjusted and rplaced. dont know what but ithink they replaced barral and adjusted extractor.havent fired yet but will let you know.

I have the 709 slim. Love the design. Great for cc. However, it is having fte problems so it is at taurus now being fixed. If fixed I will be a happy Taurus owner. If not fixed I will be be a happy browning hp owner. The hp is heavy and hard to conceal, but goes bang every time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back