Zimmerman's Wife Arrested and Charged With Perjury

BluesStringer

Les Brers
Link Removed

Just heard a Fox report that Mrs. Zimmerman is basically caught red-handed lying about the account at the bond-hearing. According to Fox, bank records show eight separate withdrawals amounting to just under $75K were made before the bond hearing, at which she said by phone that she had no idea about amounts or access to the account at that time.

If that's true, and they can tie George in as being complicit in the lie(s), it gets added to his current case (right?) and I think he's toast if that happens.

Blues

I have to wonder if they'd put the two together, or keep the shooting separate so as not to have this charge potentially influence the jury's decision on the shooting charge.

it may effect his credibility in court
but the case at hand is if trayvon did in fact sucker punch zim and was beating his head in the ground like he said that is justifiably reason to use his firearm imo

What dumbazzes.... like the investigators wouldn't explore ALL of those things pertaining to finances and turn over EVERY rock in their life. They get what they get. Shameful, especially since his shooting may end up being justified but now they have all this other stuff looming over them.

Link Removed

Just heard a Fox report that Mrs. Zimmerman is basically caught red-handed lying about the account at the bond-hearing. According to Fox, bank records show eight separate withdrawals amounting to just under $75K were made before the bond hearing, at which she said by phone that she had no idea about amounts or access to the account at that time.

If that's true, and they can tie George in as being complicit in the lie(s), it gets added to his current case (right?) and I think he's toast if that happens.

Blues

If I remember correctly, the DA provided evidence during Zimmerman's revocation hearing of jailhouse phone calls between Z and her where they attempted to use code to discuss the money. Seems to me he has an additional charge coming his way and and she has a trial to look forward to. Really stupid legal move to try and cover up the money.

"She was booked into John E. Polk Correctional Facility and released on $1,000 bond, officials said."
"The order issued Tuesday by Assistant State Attorney John Guy charged Shellie Zimmerman with knowingly making false statements during the April hearing."
Shellie Zimmerman, wife of Trayvon Martin killer, arrested on perjury charge - U.S. News

I wonder if "knowingly making false statements" is an equal, greater, or lessor charge than perjury in Florida?

Perjury is normally tried separately from any other charges and normally after the underlying case.

Sounds like this judge is really peeved now.

I doubt he would combine the charges though. But I guess he could. Mucks everything up though when combined.

So now everyone knows Georgie and Mrs Georgie are given to lying. I would think the defense would want that issue tried separately before the judge, not combined with the other charges before the jury.

If the defense counsel knew about the funds, then he is toast too.

Thanks for this update, very interesting, BluesStringer.

it may effect his credibility in court
but the case at hand is if trayvon did in fact sucker punch zim and was beating his head in the ground like he said that is justifiably reason to use his firearm imo

The issue at hand is whether it happened as Zimmerman claims. If the judge believes him, the case might get dismissed. If not dismissed, and the jury believes him, he gets acquitted. If both find him to be a liar then he probably gets convicted.

If the prosecutor can use the perjury allegation at a trial of the shooting, it may well affect his credibility. The legal question will be whether to let in evidence of a lie taking place outside of the trail to prove the witness is lying at the trail. That is very different from letting in evidence that the witness lied during the trial. Had Zimmerman appeared before a grand jury considering the shooting and said something inconsistent it would in all likelihood be allowed in at the trail. This alleged lie, however, arose in a procedural rather than substantive matter, even though directly connected with the same matter.

Link Removed

Blues

Wow, law enforcement has made sure Shellie Zimmerman got arrested real darn quick for perjury. Why hasn't Eric Holder been arrested throughout his entire process????

She should also be cited for perjury

Dershowitz says Corey, in her affidavit, "willfully omitted all information" about injuries Zimmerman suffered in his conflict with 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He said Corey denied having an obligation to include that information.

"She should go back to law school, where she will learn that it is never appropriate to submit an affidavit that contains a half truth, because a half truth is regarded by the law as a lie, and anyone who submits an affidavit swears to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth," Dershowitz wrote.

Dershowitz has ripped Corey repeatedly.

The affidavit, he said in a television interview, "is not only thin, it's irresponsible." He described Corey's announcement of the charge as "a campaign speech for re-election" and later wrote that she has been "anything but ethical, lawful and professional" in prosecuting the case.

In an appearance on Fox News, he went a step further: If Corey knew about Zimmerman's injuries, he said, "This affidavit submitted by the prosecutor in the Florida case is a crime... It's a perjurious affidavit."

Link Removed that I saw and referred to in the OP where the eight separate withdrawals totaling close to $75K was documented.

When I found that, I was actually looking for another report that I saw with Judge Napolitano explaining why George will not (or at least should not) be charged with perjury concerning the account. For one thing, he was in jail at the time of the bond hearing and if he was questioned at all about the account when he (stupidly) got on the stand and said he didn't know what was up with the account, that could've certainly been true.

More importantly though, he has no obligation to volunteer anything he knows about the account under the 5th Amendment, especially if there's suspicion of him being involved in any crime concerning it. He does not have to incriminate himself under any circumstances, so unless they have recordings from jail of him admitting that he knew details about the account that he denied under oath while on the stand, he won't (or shouldn't) be charged with perjury according to Napolitano.

Blues

Would the perjury charge not get automatically thrown out if the Martin case gets acquitted? Since its charge is secondary to the Martin case...does that make sense?

Link Removed that I saw and referred to in the OP where the eight separate withdrawals totaling close to $75K was documented.

When I found that, I was actually looking for another report that I saw with Judge Napolitano explaining why George will not (or at least should not) be charged with perjury concerning the account. For one thing, he was in jail at the time of the bond hearing and if he was questioned at all about the account when he (stupidly) got on the stand and said he didn't know what was up with the account, that could've certainly been true.

More importantly though, he has no obligation to volunteer anything he knows about the account under the 5th Amendment, especially if there's suspicion of him being involved in any crime concerning it. He does not have to incriminate himself under any circumstances, so unless they have recordings from jail of him admitting that he knew details about the account that he denied under oath while on the stand, he won't (or shouldn't) be charged with perjury according to Napolitano.

Blues

Thanks for posting this BluesStringer. I had a long standing false impression that in order to benefit from the full protection of the 5th Amendment, one had to actually invoke it at the time the question was asked. This is another example in my book of the fact this country would be much better off if the meanings of the laws translated to plain english rather than that of opinion and precedent.

Thanks for posting this BluesStringer. I had a long standing false impression that in order to benefit from the full protection of the 5th Amendment, one had to actually invoke it at the time the question was asked. This is another example in my book of the fact this country would be much better off if the meanings of the laws translated to plain english rather than that of opinion and precedent.

I'm not so sure your alleged "false impression" is necessarily mutually exclusive to what I interpreted Napolitano as saying, and may not really be false at all. If Zimmerman is/was questioned about anything he said about the account and he waives his 5th Amendment protections, that's fair game for cops and prosecutors. I don't think he has to specifically say, "On advice of my attorney, I am invoking my 5th Amendment right to refuse to answer your questions." As long as he stays quiet, he is perfectly within his 5th rights, whether he states that's why he's staying quiet or not. So he can be questioned, but whether he invokes the 5th or not, he is under no obligation to answer them.

In short, he can do as you say you thought was the requirement and invoke his 5th protections upon the onset of questioning, or he can waive his rights and sing like a canary, or he can just STFU like he has a brain in his head, but throughout the process, the onus is upon him. He is neither obligated to STFU, nor is he obligated to sing.

I think the act of invoking out loud one's 5th Amendment right is as much theater as it is useful to a defendant in asserting his/her rights. Mostly people appearing before Congress do it. I don't think it happens very often in courts or in LE questioning sessions, but I might be wrong about that. I just know if I'm ever arrested, I will not speak to investigators unless my attorney tells me that it's in my best interest to do so, and even he will have some convincing to do before I'll acquiesce.

Blues

Would the perjury charge not get automatically thrown out if the Martin case gets acquitted? Since its charge is secondary to the Martin case...does that make sense?

That's not how it works.

Lots of people have gone to county jail for a long time under perjury alone.

Go ahead and keep cheering for Z and Mrs Z like the NRA wants you to. These two dirtbags however have sullied gun rights across the whole nation. Believe it or not.

I'm not so sure your alleged "false impression" is necessarily mutually exclusive to what I interpreted Napolitano as saying, and may not really be false at all. If Zimmerman is/was questioned about anything he said about the account and he waives his 5th Amendment protections, that's fair game for cops and prosecutors. I don't think he has to specifically say, "On advice of my attorney, I am invoking my 5th Amendment right to refuse to answer your questions." As long as he stays quiet, he is perfectly within his 5th rights, whether he states that's why he's staying quiet or not. So he can be questioned, but whether he invokes the 5th or not, he is under no obligation to answer them.

In short, he can do as you say you thought was the requirement and invoke his 5th protections upon the onset of questioning, or he can waive his rights and sing like a canary, or he can just STFU like he has a brain in his head, but throughout the process, the onus is upon him. He is neither obligated to STFU, nor is he obligated to sing.

I think the act of invoking out loud one's 5th Amendment right is as much theater as it is useful to a defendant in asserting his/her rights. Mostly people appearing before Congress do it. I don't think it happens very often in courts or in LE questioning sessions, but I might be wrong about that. I just know if I'm ever arrested, I will not speak to investigators unless my attorney tells me that it's in my best interest to do so, and even he will have some convincing to do before I'll acquiesce.

Blues

I did some further research and found this quote of the judge interacting with the defense team:

"Does your client get to sit there like a potted plant and lead the court down the primrose path? That's the issue," Lester said in revoking Zimmerman's bond. "He can't sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond based upon those material falsehoods."

If this is in fact a literal description of Zimmerman by the judge, then I can understand the point made by Napolitano. It would seem Zimmerman kept his mouth closed.

If these facts are true, the wife has more than just perjury to worry about:

"De la Rionda presented to the judge during the revocation hearing a partial transcript of telephone conversations Zimmerman had with his wife from jail, days before the original bond hearing. Zimmerman and his wife discussed the amount of money raised from the website, and Zimmerman spoke in code to tell his wife how to make fund transfers, according to the transcript. The code referred to amounts of "$15" in place of "$150,000."

"Jeffrey Neiman, a former federal prosecutor now in private practice, said cash transactions in excess of $10,000 usually trigger a reporting requirement by the bank to multiple government agencies — including the IRS. "If Mrs. Zimmerman intentionally structured the financial transactions in a manner to keep the offense under $10,000, not only may she have committed perjury in the state case, but she also may have run afoul of several federal statutes and could face serious federal criminal charges," Neiman wrote in an email to The Associated Press."

As BluesStringer noted, it would certainly appear she did structure the amounts in order to remain under $10k:

"Records show Shellie Zimmerman in the days before the hearing transferred $74,000 in eight smaller amounts ranging from $7,500 to $9,990, from her husband's credit union account to hers, according to an arrest affidavit. It also shows that $47,000 was transferred from George Zimmerman's account to his sister's in the days before the bond hearing."

It doesn't appear likely to me that either Zimmerman or his wife will be receiving an invitation to join MENSA anytime soon.

Link Removed

I did some further research and found this quote of the judge interacting with the defense team:

"Does your client get to sit there like a potted plant and lead the court down the primrose path? That's the issue," Lester said in revoking Zimmerman's bond. "He can't sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond based upon those material falsehoods."

Sure he can, Judge! One, they weren't his own material falsehoods, they were his wife's and, two, he has no obligation to incriminate himself and jump up saying, "No Judge, my wife is wrong, we have a buttload of money in that account!" And the possibility still exists that he had no personal knowledge of the account when the falsehoods were made anyway. He had been in jail for awhile at that point after all.

I understand that the bond was revoked with the tapes of Mr. and Mrs. Z allegedly talking in "code" about the money already known about by the Judge, but that doesn't mean George has to say a single word about it while he's in the midst of a criminal proceeding against him.

Some of this judge's statements seem to show a severe bias against Zimmerman to me. He announced to the world that he *lied* about his finances when he revoked the bond and gave Z. 48 hours to return to jail. He didn't use any qualifiers, like maybe, "I suspect him of lying," and combined with the fact that it's not even George's lies that is the offense, well, that stanks! Now in open court he's saying he is not entitled to keep quiet in a proceeding that has the potential to end in his imprisonment for 30 years? If O'Mara doesn't ask for another judge soon, I'm going to be very suspicious of him being a shill for Corey along with the judge!

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back