Worst gun of all time

Worst ever was a PT22 my brother had. 1st shot the barrel popped up on it's own. I looked at it & figured he hadn't secured it. I took a shot with it & it came apart in my hand. Scary to say the least.After a bunch of ****** from Taurus, he traded it in for half of what he paid.

yup skyy arms clone of a keltec with a safety. from the first shot fired the safety would go safe after every shot. contacted the company and they sent a safety kit. thought that would be an upgrade. nope same thing still fails. works well in paper weight mode though:biggrin:
Saw a guy with a Skyy. Never heard of it before. He shot it ok at a meet I was watching. I forgot that I meant to look that brand up on the net just so see what it was.
I don't know all that much about this stuff but it amazes me that there are so many cheap guns out there. It amazes me even more that people buy these instead or tried and true brands. Yes I read about the problems with one posters Sig and another about a Glock. Those are the exceptions rather then the rule with off brands. I hope guys are buying those cheap guns just to try them out and see if they get a bargain and actually work and not to protect their lives and loved ones. The guy with the Skyy uses it as his regular carry.:wacko: I am not a snob, maybe a bit dense but buying these type of guns sure confuses me!:biggrin:

I am not surprised to see the Lorcin and 1911 copies mentioned multiple times. I am surprised to see Sig, Glock and Beretta mentioned as they typically all make good firearms. I am also surprised that noone has mentioned the Browning High Power or any of High-Point's pistols.

This is more correct.

I'm gonna defend the 1911 a little bit. The 1911 is a design, drawn up by John Moses Browning. When done right it is as good as anything out there. The problem is, to make it right today costs a good bit of money (remember, the design turned 100 years old this year). Everyone is trying to find a cheaper way to do it and, while some have (Remington, the recent SA guns, Para, and hopefully Ruger), many have failed miserably at it (Charles Daly, Llama, AMT, and Auto-Ordnance). Then there are the companies that put a lot of money into them and charge accordingly (Wilson, Nighthawk Custom, Les Baer). The other issue is that it was designed around hardball ammo. Making it work with modern SD ammo can be a little hairy but it can be done.

The reason you don't hear about the Hi-power is probably because it is a good design and hasn't really been cloned very much. It's also not as popular as the 1911 for some reason.

Some who have Hi-points actually have had good luck. The rest are probably embarressed to say they own one. :D

Saw a guy with a Skyy. Never heard of it before. He shot it ok at a meet I was watching. I forgot that I meant to look that brand up on the net just so see what it was.
I don't know all that much about this stuff but it amazes me that there are so many cheap guns out there. It amazes me even more that people buy these instead or tried and true brands. Yes I read about the problems with one posters Sig and another about a Glock. Those are the exceptions rather then the rule with off brands. I hope guys are buying those cheap guns just to try them out and see if they get a bargain and actually work and not to protect their lives and loved ones. The guy with the Skyy uses it as his regular carry.:wacko: I am not a snob, maybe a bit dense but buying these type of guns sure confuses me!:biggrin:

A lot of folks think more with their wallet rather than about getting a reliable gun. I saw it in the gun shop I worked at all the time. Instead of waiting a little while longer and saving up enough to buy something used that will still be running in 100 years with a minimal amount of care, they'd rather plunk down $150 (or less, remember the days of $50 for a NIB .25 Jennings and Lorcin?) for a POS that is just as likely to a fail beyond repair before it needs to be cleaned as it is to function reliably.

I think it was Lorcin that used to make a .25 that came with a laser sight built in that normally retailed for $99. I always thought that the folks that were buying them were getting a $25 pistol with a $75 sight.

Personally, I trust a $100 pistol as much as I trust a $100 car.

This is more correct.

I'm gonna defend the 1911 a little bit. The 1911 is a design, drawn up by John Moses Browning. When done right it is as good as anything out there. The problem is, to make it right today costs a good bit of money (remember, the design turned 100 years old this year). Everyone is trying to find a cheaper way to do it and, while some have (Remington, the recent SA guns, Para, and hopefully Ruger), many have failed miserably at it (Charles Daly, Llama, AMT, and Auto-Ordnance). Then there are the companies that put a lot of money into them and charge accordingly (Wilson, Nighthawk Custom, Les Baer). The other issue is that it was designed around hardball ammo. Making it work with modern SD ammo can be a little hairy but it can be done.

The reason you don't hear about the Hi-power is probably because it is a good design and hasn't really been cloned very much. It's also not as popular as the 1911 for some reason.

Some who have Hi-points actually have had good luck. The rest are probably embarressed to say they own one. :D

The Hi Power as been cloned extensively. You can get them right now in America that are made in Argentina (FM), Israel and Hungary. It's just that all of them are made better than some of the low end 1911 copies ever were. My first Hi Power was made in Argentina in the mid 80's on FN equipment that had been purchased to build them for the Argentine military and police. Except for the 'Made in Argentina' roll mark on the side, it looked and felt like a FN gun with 100% interchangeability of parts. It also outshot the high end Browning Hi Power Practical that was my second Hi Power all day, every day, with military style fixed sights.

Lucky me I have never had a bad handgun.
Now to defend my gun.

I have a llama .380 mini clone of the 1911. I love it, but my buddy has the same gun and I hate it, why?

Mine was made in Spain, his was made in South America. If you get a Llama from Spain it will work and is well made, but when they moved their quality stayed in Spain.

Lucky me I have never had a bad handgun.
Now to defend my gun.

I have a llama .380 mini clone of the 1911. I love it, but my buddy has the same gun and I hate it, why?

Mine was made in Spain, his was made in South America. If you get a Llama from Spain it will work and is well made, but when they moved their quality stayed in Spain.

Gun Tests tested a Llama .45ACP 1911 clone a few years ago and noted that the pistol shot about 10" to the right at 7 yards. Upon dissassembly they noticed that the bushing area of the slide was mis-milled (was over to one side) causing the barrel not be straight with the sights. I don't know for sure when this gun was made but the test was done in the late 1990s or early 2000s I think.

The only gun I've had a problem with is the AMT 380 Backup. I've never been able to fire a box without it jamming.

My vote will go towards a Jennings model 48 it wasn't mine but a friend of mine who payed about 20 bucks for it(way too much) I never ever seen it shoot and the slide wont even lock back

Para ordnance 45, before it was broken in at least. Extremely frustrating to shoot. Would not consistently go into battery. Also, the trigger was gritty and stacked horribly. I haven't shot a worse 1911.

Last edited:
At the risk of being branded a heritic I'll say that my Kimber Tac Pro II was in that category. It eventually turned me off to the 1911 design and I haven't looked back...except for the times when I drool over the newest Wilson Combat edition. I'm not slamming Kimber here...mine was just awful.

I though I had posted here before, but my worst experiance was th aformentioned SCCY, after this mag went thru it safety comes out, gun still shot ok but I woulnd't trust it now keep in mind we tryed two of these little ****boxes, second one safety fell off as the first, but it would not fire, gun shop was good about it traded for a Taurus 709, maybe 2000 rds later its still working

At the risk of being branded a heritic I'll say that my Kimber Tac Pro II was in that category. It eventually turned me off to the 1911 design and I haven't looked back...except for the times when I drool over the newest Wilson Combat edition. I'm not slamming Kimber here...mine was just awful.
Don't feel bad for posting that a high dollar gun was a POS, same thing happened to me with a Kahr, mt Bud who runs two gun shops personaly reccamended it, he carrys one but mine was junk from the first rd, takedown pin would come out by itself, after our Sccy debacle, i said never again, from then on when ever we bought a new gun, no matter what the brand, it goes strait to the range and if possable 200-300 rds go thru it that day if it does no operate correctly it goes back and gets traded THAT DAY, and on you 1911 opinion, which you certainly have a right to, we just got a new Springfield 1911-A1 stainless mil spec, Saterday, we told the guy we were going strait to the range, he said go for it so 277 rds later we are really tickled with the gun, absolutly no problems, and accuracy is as good as our Sig 226

I had a Jennings nine and it was not bad for me - hit the target fairly well as I'm not as well practiced as I should be.

Worst is one I still have - Ruger Mark I. This is probably one of the first built and only paid $75 for it. It shoots fair groups although about 6" left at ten yards. Just gotta remember to hold it to the right. Problem it has is feeding mags because it's so old and worn. It won't feed more than two mags without jamming when it gets dirty. Used to stovepipe quite a bit but a new extractor pin fixed that. Some day I'll get whatever parts I need to make it better as .22 are fun to shoot.

Second worst is the Savage .22 rifle I have. It's a fun little rifle to shoot as long as I don't buy HP rounds - it won't feed them but shoots all day with round nose.

Beretta 21 Bobcat. My apologies if this is someone's favorite gun. If you have one that works, great! Keep on using it. But my experience was awful.

My Dad bought one for me when my department authorized us to carry backup pieces. It was new-in-the-box when he gave it to me, so I knew it would need a break-in period. Five-hundred rounds later, it was still not broken-in. I tried premium ammo from three different makers. No luck. Jams. Misfires. Frustration.

I gave it to my younger brother and told him to use it strictly as a tackle box gun...not a pistol to stake his life on. My Dad had no hard feelings over this; he was totally disgusted with the Bobcat's performance.

I'll admit that it's a great idea for a pistol. I especially like the tilt-up barrel. And, according to some owners, its problems can be rectified. But after a pistol fails to perform for me on (at least) fifty different occasions, no amount of modifying will restore my confidence. Neither will any premium ammunition.

PARA ORDNANCE, they never did fix it. They claim they are going to send me a new Gun. It's been over 5 months and I am still getting the run around.

PARA ORDNANCE, they never did fix it. They claim they are going to send me a new Gun. It's been over 5 months and I am still getting the run around.

My wife has an attorney network plan through her employer called Hyatt Legal Plans - similar to Prepaid Legal - and we set up our attorney right after getting it. So far, he has done our wills, set up some powers of attorney, done a living will, nailed a crooked billing company for bogus collections and got several retailers to see things our way. This is the exact thing I would've called him on about 30 days or three calls into the transaction...and all for $15 a month! Well worth it - talk to your employer if you don't have it already.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back