Why I "worry" about safety.

Wow, that is a tragic story on so many levels.

I won't even look down the barrel AFTER i have removed it from the slide...i have to inspect it from the breech end. Just something that was ingrained in me.

It is amazing how many people bet their lives every day that a "mechanical safety" will work as advertised or even how they assume it works. Thinks about it that you are driving along and someone is tailgating you. They are betting their life and yours that if needed their brakes will work. Are you one of those people. Why someone has to prove that a safety device will work in such a way that if it doesn't it will be disaster. There is no need to prove that you brakes will work by tailgating nor is there any need to prove that the safety on a gun will work by holding it to your head. It could have just as easily been demonstrated by pointing it in a safe direction.

Any time you want to demonstrate how ANY safety device works assume that it will fail and demonstrate in such a manner that no one will get hurt. Remember that if something can go wrong it probably will.

As sorry as I feel for the survivors, I cannot help but be sorry that he did not do this BEFORE he produced any survivors. In any case, making a point like this is stupid. He could have accomplished the same thing by pointing the weapon in a safe direction. I was giving a group of Scouts a lesson in handgun safety. There had been several instances in kids "finding" a handgun and then taking it to school. While the schools teach "leave it alone and call an adult", I happen to be more realistic and understand that will NOT happen. So, to impress upon a group of Scouts that a gun is always loaded, I loaded a 1911 with a magazine of dummy rounds; only the first round was a blank and not a dummy. After charging the pistol I asked how many of them thought the pistol was loaded. All raised their hands. I then removed the magazine and asked how many thought the pistol was NOT loaded. All but one boy raised his hand. I then pointed the pistol in a SAFE direction and pulled the trigger. You should have seen the looks on their faces when the thing went off! I then told them that a pistol is NEVER unloaded, so it should NEVER be pointed at anything that they did not intend to shoot. The lesson of not pointing a weapon at something that you don't want to kill was so ingrained into me that I cannot even play paintball. My father invited me to a paintball game one time and I told him that I could not participate. When he asked me why, I told him "you were the one that drilled into my head never to point a gun at something that I did not want to kill. So, there is no way that I am going to play a game that involves shooting at one or more of my family members." My father looked at me for a few moments, and then said "I taught you well." He did not play paintball after that, either.

I'm so worried about safety, that when I go to church, I remove the round from the tube. I still carry in church, but sure don't want a negligent discharge. Once out in the real world, I rack one back in the tube. I treat the gun the same way, whether condition 1 or not.

+1 on every gun is always loaded and primary safety is your trigger finger. Don't ever, ever, ever point a gun at something you don't want to shoot.

I appreciate your sentiment, but I would say the number one safety is your brain. But just arguing minor points

I appreciate your sentiment, but I would say the number one safety is your brain. But just arguing minor points

I acknowledge that the brain is important in the decision not to put a finger in the trigger guard and on the trigger. I would however point out from experience that the brain can play tricks that are not rational under surprise or stress that cause the finger to involuntarily clutch and shoot a round. Once the finger is on the trigger there is no other secure safety left which is why I say "every gun is always loaded (muzzle direction safety; conscious brain decision) and primary safety is your trigger finger (finger inside trigger guard on trigger; conscious brain decision). After that with the adrenaline flowing it is a crap shoot whether the brain is really a safety or a danger. Only experience, training and repetition can improve the fear or surprised, adrenaline-pumped "brain safety". But if you don't put the finger in the trigger guard the weapon won't fire. Hence the finger is the primary safety.

I respectfully disagree. Repetition trains the brain. Muscles don't get trained, only strengthened. But I just agree to disagree, we both mean the same thing just different terminology and not worth arguing over.

Brain or finger, it does not matter and is an absolute useless argument. The important thing is that you are the most important part of safety and no amount of safeties built into the gun will overcome your mistakes. The man in the OP was trying to demonstrate the safety on the gun and failed. Seldom do guns go off without some human involvement whether it be the finger, brain or some other body part. It does not have to be a finger that pulls the trigger and your brain may be in idle when it happens. Just remember that you may not get a second chance with a gun going off unintentionally.

I'm so worried about safety, that when I go to church, I remove the round from the tube. I still carry in church, but sure don't want a negligent discharge. Once out in the real world, I rack one back in the tube. I treat the gun the same way, whether condition 1 or not.

Agree. You do not need to have a finger on the trigger to fire a weapon. I have had it happen to me twice, once when hunting and once when target shooting. In both cases, my BRAIN was trained to have the weapon pointed in a safe direction. My finger had nothing to do with it (although my thumb was very sore after one incident. Slide mounted decockers are a biatch when the gun discharges on decock - late war Walther P-38).

So you are saying that church is somehow an alternate reality?

Maybe just a place where an AD just MIGHT be an embarrassment. (Besides, if a real nut case came into the place with intent to shoot it up, plenty of time to duck and rack one back in the tube. Unless you happen to be his first target of opportunity, in which case you are probably screwed anyway.) Just sayin'.

GG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back