Why I "worry" about safety.

Grognard Gunny

One of my fellow State Citizens (I won't go into details out of respect for his family) managed to kill himself recently.

While showing his friends his new .22 cal pistol and demonstrating the safety, he showed how the gun would not fire with the safety on. He then showed them how the slide worked, racked one into the tube, pointed the gun at his head and pulled the trigger, demonstrating the safety feature again.

Only one slight error, he forgot to reenguage the safety when he racked the weapon.

Now, I'm not going to even begin to discuss the MANY safety issues this character violated. (I DO have other things to do today.) I will, however, express my condolances for his survivors.

I will not express much in the way of sympathy for the victim. I generally don't have much for self inflicted wounds. At least he didn't kill any bystanders. (Considering that they didn't protest his actions leading up to the "grand finale", you have to wonder about their average IQs, too.)

SAFETY FIRST! Always and habitual!

This incident only serves to reinforce a little hypothesis that I have held true for some time: Just about the time one believes that he has seen or heard the ultimate act of stupidity....... DAMNED if another idiot proves your conclusion wrong!

GG

I totally agree. We must always be thinking safety. It's hard to believe anyone can be this stupid and careless.

GG, Thanks for the input. Sorry to hear. Under no circumstance do you break the golden rules. This gentlemen got careless. It reinforces the fact you never point at something unless you intend to destroy.

condolences

I am very sorry to hear that. This example is a terrible one but does provide the insight into why people DO NOT demonstrate or play with handguns. I am a married man with no kids and still keep every gun locked up in one of the two safes I own, including the ammo. The only time a gun is out of it is when I am cleaning it or using it for a CC gun. Once again, I am sorry to hear about your friend and appreciate your story. Maybe it will serve some people well and remind us all that guns are not toys. Thank you.

Firearms are NOT forgiving at all when it comes to 'lapses in judgement'.

The basic rules of firearms safety (ie., not pointing a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, treating all guns like they are loaded, not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, visually verify your target and know what's behind it, ...) are called 'basic' for a reason. If you follow them, it's kind of hard to screw up enough to do serious harm.

Add my condolences to his family. Any loss is hard to deal with but avoidable ones like this one are even harder to bear.

He forgot about the primary safety, which is your trigger finger, and you never engage it unless you are ready to kill something or someone.

+1 on every gun is always loaded and primary safety is your trigger finger. Don't ever, ever, ever point a gun at something you don't want to shoot.

This is very unfortunate for everyone involved.I just can't imagine what would cause someone to put a gun to thier head. Even with only basic Safety Training this should be common sense. This is just what the Anti Gunners need.more Ammo agaisnt us. Poeple like this guy just adds more fuel to the fire on stronger gun laws.I wish his family well. I also will say a pray for his way ward soul.

Sorry for the family, had he practiced even the most basic safety he would be alive today, on moment of not thinking safety leads to a livetime of heartache.

A moment of carelessness can lead to a lifetime of pain, it's sad that someone had to be an example of this. Guns are not toys and the only real safety is your finger off the trigger.

This brings to mind the story about the executive in a high-rise office building. The outer wall was made of glass and supposed to be unbreakable. To prove it wouldn't break, he took a hard run and hit the wall. The glass DID break and he fell several floors to his death. Some people are prone to lapses in judgement and get hurt, others get killed. Here's Your Sign. In all seriousness, I do feel sorry for his familyl

Every firearm is loaded, when showing your firearm to a friend remove the mag clear the chamber and then remember the firearm is always loaded. Finger outside the trigger guard, I have seen many accidents on the range and in class on the range shooter sliding firearm into holster with finger on trigger shooting themselves in the leg. Safety should be an automatic action, when it becomes a reaction, it is too late.

Practice, practice, practice, involves Safety, Safety, Safety

I feel for the family and friends of the individual involved. However, I have taught many people to shoot, and one thing I pound into their heads is that you never trust mechanical safeties, as they can fail, just like any other mechanical device. The most important safety is the one that God gave you, and rests between your ears.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back