Why Do You Carry Concealed?

In our country we have seen too many instances of some madman going into a crowded and unarmed location and open firing. In my personal life when the discussion of "Why do you carry a concealed handgun" comes up I have fewer and fewer people asking me "Why?" I am an advocate of, well trained, stable and armed citizens taking the position of being the first responders in any shooting incident.

for the very similar reason the majority on the board have owned the firearm .. there is nothing but the protection tops the chart to put the chances of getting any harm at the minimum

I carry to protect myself and my family. I'm not a suspicious person, but i'm not stupid either. The way things are today, i think you'd have to be nuts to not want to have some sort of protection. Case in point: I was in pittsburgh a few weeks ago with my wife. She was at a conference for continued education in her field and she wanted to go to the inclines on the (east?) shore. We decided to walk and for that trip i decided to CC because i'd never been to Pittsburgh and i dont like cities in general. Sure enough we're crossing the bridge just after dusk and a down-on-his luck sort comes up, behind us no less (trying to take a photo of the sunset city), and asked us for change. Pause here -- Now, again i'm not overly suspicious but i'm not stupid and despite my best efforts, my wife has learned nothing about safety and the state of affairs these days. So she doesn't give the guy a second thought and whips her purse open in front of him. in the same seconds, i stepped closer to her and went for my wallet too - which is right under my .380. I acted like she could get it, but i kept my hand there, ready for whatever may or may not come our way. Turns out the guy was one of the good ones. I wish we could've done more than we were able for him, but she gave him what she could and he went on his way. I looked right at her afterwards and gave her the business. My only thoughts were - what if he WASN"T one of the good ones? What could i have done better? What if i wasn't fast enough if the time came?. That's why i carry and practice. I want to go my whole life never needing my gun, not go to my grave or a family member's wake wishing i had one.

I carry concealed to protect myself and family, I also feel it is a responsibility to be able to protect myself and others. I am of the opinion that I hope to never have to use my weapon but would hate to need it and not have it. I feel it also helps to mitigate my actions as carrying has made me more aware and less likely to anger due to the possible consequences. I avoid confrontation and generally feel more at ease than I was when not carrying.

I conceal carry because I don't want the attention that comes with open carry. Neither the positive, not the negative. I carry because I am not naive enough to believe that the police will be there to protect my family in a time of need.

I carry to protect myself and my family. If a bad guy puts us in a situation where someone is going to be hurt or killed, it needs to be him, not us. Chances are extremely high that I'll never need to use my guns. I hope I never have to use my fire extinguisher either, but it's ready and in place in case I do.

I love the fire extinguisher analogy - perfect. I second that heartily...I'm not a 'gunslinger' or 'gun nut'...I enjoy shooting as much as most guys and I see crazy, scary headlines every day that make me question why you WOULDN'T carry. It's just one more layer of protection for my family...the same as not going to the 'bad' parts of town at night, and being aware of your surroundings when you are out. It's common sense. Or at least should be.

2nd Amendment

It is my constitutional right to carry. But mostly criminals carry illegally & me being disabled it is the best way for me to protect my family & friends & other law abiding citizens. To confirm that even more if I did not carry & keep guns for home defense I would not of had a gun on hand when we had a home invasion last year while we were gone & my teenage son who was there with friends had to defend himself & his two friends against two armed felonies (both had been let out on shortened sentences for gun charges in the previous year & were never to touch a gun again, YEAH RIGHT). One shot my son & then my son shot & killed them. That's why everyone of age carries in our household. Thankfully my son was not hit critically and has lived to recover, but he will be scarred for life both with 2 bullet holes & emotionally, but he is still here because of my beliefs. Thank God.

To protect my family myself and others. I worked in emergency departments for a number of years. I have seen first hand the things people do to other people for profit, for hate and for no reason at all. I have used a handgun in the past to defend myself and my wife. Fortunately, I didn't have to fire, the act of pulling the pistol and pointing it sent four would be attackers scrambling back into their car. But I have no doubt had I not had that pistol with me my wife and I would have wound up beaten or worse. I refuse to be a helpless victim, I understand that having a gun and being proficient in it's use doesn't guarantee safety, but it's a good start.

background check

You don't get to skip the background check with a CCWP. You bypass the waiting period for a handgun and can take it home same day as the purchase or pickup from FFL dealer. (At least here in Florida)

I carry for the same purpose of protecting my family, friends and myself. I'm not truly willing to take chances for the general public. We have LEO's for that purpose. However, no matter what your reason is, you need to be trained to defend yourself with your weapon, and you need to practice regularly. You are responsible for every projectile you send down range.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back