Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I'm pretty sure I just read a thousand different ways to say ( protection for family and self) and loved all of them!!!!'

I carry for PERSONAL Protection of MYSELF and WIFE. Things have gone downhill here in Florida over the past years. I feel safe and secure while carrying.

I have carried a ccw for about 20 years, simply for protection of self and family. I recently become a sworn officer and work with kids in the juvenile system, and I see these kids everyday and when they become adults sometimes they have had a big positive change, which is great to see. But some have not changed their ways and could pose a threat, I just never know. Better safety for me and my family than sorry I left it at home.

I carry concealed because...
I had a scary encounter with a drug dealer approaching us while waiting/walking at a stoplight corner in a "safe" place, that also involved my teenage daughter in a very creepy way. I wasn't armed and felt helpless. Someone noticed and came out of their business to help us out, for which I will be forever thankful.
I had a parent get very angry at me when I returned a missed phone call off my caller i.d. I think it must have been his "drug" phone. He later got arrested for dealing meth and almost shot by the police when he hunkered down in his house with a rifle. I immediately knew why he was so angry I had that telephone number.
I watch the first 2 minutes of the news each night to see how many people got shot the day before. Gang wars, and crazies shooting people just for kicks. Pure evil.
Because it is impossible for the police to be there, so I must be responsible for my own safety.
Because there is no such thing as a safe place, life experience has taught me that.

I got started with Concealed Carry due to an awful situation involving my youngest daughter and an ex-father-in-law... Long story short, we filed a police report and, with the in-law being ex-LEO (and mentally unstable), I felt I needed to take more direct responsibility for my family's protection.

That was my personal tipping point... glad I took the plunge!

Back in 2008 I was shot in an attempted robbery/carjacking outside of the Market Fair Mall in Fayetteville, NC and it opened up my eyes to just how dangerous the world is and how necessary it is for us to provide for our own protection. Whenever the police finally arrived WE were treated like criminals and it was implied that we were at fault for the shooting. Had I been armed I could have fought back and the two assailants may not have been able to escape to commit crimes again.

because the one I leave at home is of no use to me, just like the skill I haven't learned or the IFAK I never finished, it's just no good to me in the truck or in my gun safe or on my "to do" list

Because the Forefathers of our Country had the foresight to give me the Right to possess, carry and stay proficient with arms. After a career in the Profession of Arms and being trained by the best in the world at that Profession, why would I not exercise this right in the violent world we live in today?

To protect my close one's from possible harm. Hopefully it will never be needed but there are people that for some reason want to cause harm to the innocent. Maybe the thought will go through their heads that their are people that are willing to stop them. We have a right to fight back. Fight, stand your ground. If you don't have CC permit get one. The rise in CC holders will hopefully make bad people think twice because of the rising numbers of people carrying.

I carry because it's my right and my choice to do so to protect myself and my family, as well as those around me should it come to that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who the English major is who is criticizing, but this discussion is about "Why I carry concealed", not English Lit. I initially posted to this discussion talking about the criticism I had received from my wife over carrying my pistol and the response I gave her was that I had qualified to ccw and I was out to protect us against the unexpected, to "be prepared" as Jason put it, something I hope and pray never becomes necessary, but....
JAK, Ely, IA.

Simply for me its Self-Preservation and Protection for myself and my family
Refuse to be a Victim. I will be tried by twelve before I am carried by six

I have carried concealed for many years. My preferred caliber is .45ACP as this is the handgun I first trained on in the Army. When I first started to carry concealed it was for the purpose of being able to meet a 1:1 threat to me or my family. While this is still my main purpose our world had caused me to refocus on threats that may occur while I am about my daily business. The news today is filled with the many instances of a lone shooter opening fire on a crowd of innocent people. In nearly all of these instances the people in jeopardy were unarmed and therefore not able to return fire to protect themselves and those around them. I believe that in many of these cases had there been one armed and trained concealed carry citizen present many lives could've been saved. In the end there is no substitute for being aware of your surroundings, trained and mentally prepared to fire.

I live in the Midwest "supposed to be safe" and on almost everyday run into a situation some small situations, but I feel very safe knowing that I am carrying when I run into problems. Carrying is my right and I will use that right for my familys protection

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back