Why Do You Carry Concealed?

If you have to ask, then you do not need to know!!

I do it for protection, especially living in a rural Appalachian Mountain area where I'm an avid amateur photographer. I spend a lot of time roaming the back roads shooting wildlife and landscapes. Sadly, meth labs are become more and more common and if I accidentally roll up on one, especially with a telephoto lens hanging out the window, calling 911 won't do much good with a mountain between me and the nearest cell tower.

I have been around long guns all my life.... done a lot of hunting. I have just ordered my first handgun and will soon be taking my CC class. It is my right as a U.S. Citizen to carry and a my duty as a responsible citizen as well. I hope to God that I never have to use it..... but will be glad that it is available if I am ever in the position to need it. I refuse to be a victim.

Casperdog
You said that you are getting your first handgun, I am just wondering what type and caliber it is and who will train you in the use of it.
Thanks
Bill Hurley

I carry a weapon so I may be able to defend my self and loved ones if awareness and avoidance didn't work. I have carefully thought about other circumstances I might have the misfortune of finding myself in where I'd consider using it to protect a stranger. Not all people should be prepared to defend themselves at all times. Elderly folks who have lost the physical ability to fight or shoot should be able to walk without fear of attack in public, and not sit in fear inside their homes. I believe I could draw to protect one who cannot protect him or her self. Perhaps a clerk in a convenience store held at gunpoint. I believe I could use deadly force if another's life was being threatened. I won't speculate beyond that because I'll never know before hand how any event will unfold.

As to protecting someone who has failed to protect him or herself, my rational thought from behind a keyboard is that its not my business and I'm here for my wife and child, not to play hero. And as to how I'd react if ever in that situation I'll also not speculate.

I carry for the family, tradition puts me as the protector and I would never be able to live with myself knowing I let something happen to the people that depend on the protection.

I am approachin 60 years old. Thugs and bullys are cowards. They only mess with people who can not fight back. It has become very aparent that at my advanced age I am becoming more of a target. I am no where near as fast or strong as I was when I was 30 or 40. I have a hip replacement and running away is no longer an option. I have a wife and teenage daughter at home to protect. I now own a Glock 26 and carry it everywhere it is legal. It gives me piece of mind. I enjoy going to the range. As you can see I am all for conceal carry.

First pistol

Casperdog
You said that you are getting your first handgun, I am just wondering what type and caliber it is and who will train you in the use of it.
Thanks
Bill Hurley

Bill, I am looking at the Springfield XDS in 9 mm. I have a local gunshop and range that just opened where I will be taking my carry permit class and other training that may be available.

Mike

Hey Mike,
Do yourself a favor. If you can shoot several semi auto's in the caliber that you want so that you will know which one you are the most comfortable with also keep in mind how it will feel after several hours in a inside the pants holster. Some weapons are more comfortable both in the hand and when you put them next to your body. Hope you do well at the weapons course.
Bill

Mike, important that gun fits your hand. I took awhile for me to get a gun that I could eject without major hand readjustment of position for battery and sighting. Practice ejecting an empty mag with different handguns multiple times before making the buy.

Some great responses, I'd like to add my own. Much like others have said, I carry to protect my family. Moreover though, I carry to protect those who cannot protect themselves. As a citizen, I have come to understand that I have a responsibility to those within my circle of influence; by word and deed. If I can't convince someone to take care of themselves, then I will help if I can when the inevitable SHTF. I'm not trying to be naive, nor am I allowing other's poor decisions to become my problem; rather I am trying to live my faith, and that includes protecting those who need it. If all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing, then I will do something (to paraphrase). Maybe if there were more of us, then the bad guys wouldn't feel so bold, maybe. Thanks for the question.

As others have said before I carry to protect my loved ones. My firearm levels the playing field. I also travel for work extensively and have ended up in some very unsavory neighborhoods at dangerous times. I refuse to be a victim or to watch someone I love be victimized.

Simple....this world gotten to the point that it has far too many unpredictable nut jobs willing to to anything they want without the consideration of the consequences.

I carry concealed because a cop's too heavy.

Actually, I carry because my neighborhood is not what it used to be. All of our local industry has moved to Mexico, or some other foreign country. Countless people have moved and couldn't sell their houses. That led them to foreclosures, and now there are numerous HUD houses surrounding us. Needless to say, many of the renters leave a lot to be desired, and crime has gone through the roof. It's sad because many years ago, the only time I locked my doors is when we went on vacation. Now, we don't feel safe with the doors locked.

There have been several home invasions while the people (old time residents) were home. That's pretty brazen of the scum bag thieves. They seem to have no fear what so ever. My Glock is on my side now at all times. And yes, I do practice on a regular basis. I also have a Remington 870 loaded with 00 buck shot, but I may not be able to get to it in time.

Maybe I can put a little fear into them, that is if they live long enough to cry to the cops on how I was so bold as to defend myself.

All of you make a great point and carry (for the most part) for the same reason PROTECTION. We live in a world that's so screwed up, that you have to carry just to survive. I live in a good area and never thought it could happen in my neighborhood. How wrong I was it started with a killing of a local 7-11 employee, 5 mins from my house. Some dirt bags rob and shoot the employee late one night. NOW with the Columbia Mall shooting, I will never leave my house again without my gun. It just shows you that wackos live everywhere so if you think your safe think again. At least I will be able to protect my family and others from the scum bags of this earth.....

oo buck

I carry concealed because a cop's too heavy.

Actually, I carry because my neighborhood is not what it used to be. All of our local industry has moved to Mexico, or some other foreign country. Countless people have moved and couldn't sell their houses. That led them to foreclosures, and now there are numerous HUD houses surrounding us. Needless to say, many of the renters leave a lot to be desired, and crime has gone through the roof. It's sad because many years ago, the only time I locked my doors is when we went on vacation. Now, we don't feel safe with the doors locked.

There have been several home invasions while the people (old time residents) were home. That's pretty brazen of the scum bag thieves. They seem to have no fear what so ever. My Glock is on my side now at all times. And yes, I do practice on a regular basis. I also have a Remington 870 loaded with 00 buck shot, but I may not be able to get to it in time.

Maybe I can put a little fear into them, that is if they live long enough to cry to the cops on how I was so bold as to defend myself.

You may want to think about #4 Buck as it has 27 pellets and in my exp. it makes a better defense load . 00 Buck in a 2 3/4" load only carry's 9 pellets and in a 3" load it has 12.
Bill

I have several hundred 00 buck rounds I picked up at a gun show. Besides, with the size house I have, no matter what I use, it will not have time for the pattern to open up that much. 00 buck should have deeper penetration than #4 buck.

You may want to think about #4 Buck as it has 27 pellets and in my exp. it makes a better defense load . 00 Buck in a 2 3/4" load only carry's 9 pellets and in a 3" load it has 12.
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back