What's The Most Popular Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

What is your favorite Concealed Weapon Handgun Caliber?

Votes: 19 1.0%

Votes: 18 1.0%

Votes: 78 4.3%
  • .38 Special

Votes: 137 7.5%

Votes: 259 14.2%
  • .40 S&W

Votes: 446 24.4%
  • .41 Magnum

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • .45 ACP

Votes: 386 21.2%
  • 9mm

Votes: 690 37.8%
  • 10mm

Votes: 16 0.9%

• Total voters
I guess if I only had one bullet, I'd want a big one. Since I have 10+1 on my 4 o'clock and 2 full spare mags on my 8 o'clock, I think .22 cal. rounds will be. I only carry 2 spare mags when I'm out with my daughter and my duty to retreat is made impossible because of a baby stroller or carrying a 2 year old. I like to know I have the ability to lay down suppressive fire and get my daughter to safety. If I'm alone or out with the wife I just carry 10+1 no extra mags. My wife always carries my S&W M&P 9MM in her zebra print holster purse. For her I prefer her to have a larger caliber. She may only get one shot. I can't picture her unloading the full mag. If she ever had to use her sidearm I know she'd freeze after the first shot. It's a good thing she always hits the bull first shot. After that she thinks the recoil is effecting her aim even though she's taking 3-5 seconds between shots.

MHas have her try a .380 with good defensive ammo like Corbon Pwrball. Less recoil and low muzzle blast. The Beretta PICO is out now, that is a .380 which you can also buy a .32 acp barrel for. Another gun she might like is a Ruger LCR in .22 Mag which will get people off you. The more she feels comfortable with a gun and is not bothered by the recoil the better she will shoot. I bet if you let her train with your .22 that she will shoot as good as you before long.

:dance3:

she loves shooting my .22 but her brother is in the army and has her convinced she needs large caliber rounds. she originally wanted a .40 cal but i talked her into settling for the 9mm. she's stubborn. she wouldn't even let me buy her the s&w m&p shield, she had to have the full size. i was thinking about getting myself s&w bodyguard but after firing it and seeing how shitty the accuracy was even at 7yrds not sure if i want my life depending on it. im not really a fan of the 6+1 either. it just feels so nice to hold and i'm a really big fan of the built in laser.

she loves shooting my .22 but her brother is in the army and has her convinced she needs large caliber rounds. she originally wanted a .40 cal but i talked her into settling for the 9mm. she's stubborn. she wouldn't even let me buy her the s&w m&p shield, she had to have the full size. i was thinking about getting myself s&w bodyguard but after firing it and seeing how shitty the accuracy was even at 7yrds not sure if i want my life depending on it. im not really a fan of the 6+1 either. it just feels so nice to hold and i'm a really big fan of the built in laser.
What you need to think about is that most times, a larger gun of the same caliber will actually have less recoil than a smaller one. A .380 pocket pistol (I carry one as a back-up) is at best "snappy". A 9mm subcompact (my LC9 for example) has more felt recoil than my full size 9mm. It's just physics. Less felt recoil will help a novice shooter in many ways.

That's good to know. I'll have to test that out. The gun store I goto does try before you buy. I'll have to test a bunch out. I only tested a few last time. There's no limit on testing. You just have to buy the ammo.

In my 53 years in law enforcement and currently remaining a Ohio State Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor and NRA firearms instructor I stress the point of "if a firearm is too heavy to carry all the time, then you have the wrong firearm."

My every day carry handgun is the smith and wesson model 340PD, If you are not familiar with it, please do a google search for it, if you wonder if my statements come from a person with credentials that are real, please google me.

thanks

pat
Link Removed
Im guessing, because you quoted me, you are talking to me.... While I initially thank you for your input. Do you really think you are going to strongly stress, that my choice might be the wrong choice? After 50 years of combined combat action, and continued civilian carry, that after all these years, and the thousands of round that I have fired for both competition and qualification, that at this point in my life, with money not being a concern, that I would choose a bucket list weapon, that was not the absolute best advantage for me..." FOR ME "... my choice, not what some guy on an internet forum, who does not know me, nor my qualifications, or my ability to handle the weapon, , and then be so condescending as to suggest that someone he does not know might be carrying the wrong weapon. You might suggest that to a guy looking for " Help " to choose a weapon. I did not come here looking for help, I came here to share 70 years of my life experiences, which include 52 years of weapons experience, combat actions, and civilian carry.
I've been doing this a very long time as well. Kimber Ultra Carry II 45 ACP ( combat defense package ) 25 oz. 4.5 actual trigger pull.

i-HV4K5d4-L.jpg

i-sXW5hWg-XL.jpg

Specifications

Caliber: .45 ACP
Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 4.75
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 25
Length (inches): 6.8
Magazine capacity: 7
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Carry melt
Recoil spring (pounds): 18.0
Full-length guide rod

Frame

Material: Aluminum
Finish: Matte black
KimPro II™ frame finish
Width (inches): 1.28
Front strap checkering
Checkering under trigger guard

Slide

Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Satin silver

Barrel

Length (inches): 3
Material: Steel, match grade
Twist rate (left hand): 16
Ramped

Sights

Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night sight, fixed
Radius (inches): 4.8

Grips

Rosewood
Double diamond
Crimson Trace Laser grips
Kimber logo

Trigger
Premium aluminum, match grade
Factory setting (approximate pounds): 4.0 - 5.0

I have the M&P Shield 9mm. Very accurate and easy to shoot and control. Low recoil. I go to get my concealed carry permit the 24th at the range I go to. I will use the Shield as my carry weapon. I also have a 22 target pistol, and a Smith and Wesson 32 that was my grandfather and my dad's. Never shot it but I know my dad shot it when he was alive. For home defence, a 12 ga. shotgun pump. Just hope I never have to use any of them.

.45, 9mm, .22

I've carried lots of firearms over the 40+ yrs that I've been carrying. .45, 9mm, .22; although also .32. Am contemplating a Sig P938...that's the next pistol for me. Might also be a backup...

I'm quite happy with my Sig 290RS. Shoots well - the only weakness is the guy holding the weapon - conceals well and recoil is fine with the 9mm.

New to this forum...
Also new to CCW...
Have a S&W 9mm semi and Ruger .357 revolver...
I voted 9MM but am currently looking for something a little smaller to IWC. Shot a G26 last weekend but still looking.

Answers are all over the place? Kind of like the Ford/ Chevy/Dodge truck preference...

The most popular around here is 9 for men and 380 for women. The question was not what you use.

I have carried a Glock 29 most in recent months (10 MM) and like it's accuracy. A XDS 3.3 in 45 has been a favorite, and I usually carry a 380 as a back up, I have several to choose from but generally around the house its a Colt Mustang XSP, and out of the home a Kahr CW380, I carry based more on the holster attributes. I did not add but should have a NAA revolver in .22 Magnum as a back up to the Backup. Hey I am NOT paranoid! It's merely my way of saying 'I Care'!
I now carry a Glock 33 in 357 Sig

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back