what should i do now?

Hi Numenor! Is the law in Virginia the same or different, do you have to purchase a gun permit first???

It took me One week and $5.00 to get a gun purchase permit from the Sheriff's office in Asheville, NC. This was after I spent $95.00 to apply for a ccw permit, which is supposed to take 3 months, and another $15.00 for a check from Mission Hospital to check If I had been there for any mental problems. Am still waiting for my ccw permit and may be October before I get it.

If you have a ccw permit from NC. You will not need to buy a gun purchase permit since the checks have already been done. Until you get the ccw permit you will have to buy a permit.

Permit to purchase? Why would I need a permit to purchase? My only permit is my checking account balance when I get to the gun store. =D

Exactly!
I thought SC laws were strict because you have to show your DL & go through an instant background check. But, having to get a new permit every time you purchase a firearm is ridiculous.

-

Exactly!
I thought SC laws were strict because you have to show your DL & go through an instant background check. But, having to get a new permit every time you purchase a firearm is ridiculous.

-

Well... we do need two forms of ID for long guns/handguns and 3 for "assault weapons", and everyone in the US has to go through the background check when buying from an FFL. But yeah, we don't need to buy a permit to go and purchase a firearm.

Well... we do need two forms of ID for long guns/handguns and 3 for "assault weapons", and everyone in the US has to go through the background check when buying from an FFL. But yeah, we don't need to buy a permit to go and purchase a firearm.

I've never shown two forms of id to buy a long gun or a hg. I just showed them my dl & went through a bg check before I got my cwp.

Only thing we need here is our DL to purchase, no permit of any kind, just a CCW if you carry it, but CCW or not you have to show your DL and have backround ck done for each purchase, now we can buy two or three at the same time with just the one BR ck

Congrats on getting your CCWP. Another gun you might consider is the Bersa Thunder 9mm UC Pro. I had a LC9 and didn't like the plastic frame rails on it. They starting cracking and splintering with only 100 rounds through it.

I bought a Bersa Thunder 9mm UC Pro to replace it and have never looked back. It is the most accurate gun I've ever owned. I've put hundreds of rounds through it and have never had a failure of any kind with it. It's an all metal gun but only weights 4 ounces more than the LC9 - empty. It is 13+1.

It has less recoil than the LC9 because of the extra weight and it is in the same price range as the LC9.

I have a Kentucky CDW License and I carry it with me everywhere I go. The quality of the gun is much better than the LC9.

It is also much easier to clean. All you do is pull a lever down and the slide comes right off. To put it back on just slide it back onto the frame and push the lever back up and it's ready to fire again.

Link Removed

....................... Well?

Hi SGB! I went to the gunshow but didn't purchase the M&P9mmc after checking it out. The dealer I spoke with said the Shield would be much better for concealed carry, but they didn't have any in stock. Supposedly the manufacturer shut down for two weeks. The gun review I saw online today has me sold on this one. Do you think the gunshops will have any in stock this week???

The shield is fine too, but I rather be able to carry more ammo. These carry as much as the LC9, 7+1 and 8+1 I believe. I personally hate being limited, with my 17+1 fullsize M&P. If I do miss I have shots to cover me, but the biggest reason for having that many rounds is for more than one target. If you were 3 on 1, I don't know how far a 7+1 config would get you.

I had an M&P40 Shield. The thing dropped it's mag after nearly every shot, needless to say I took it back immediately. I have heard the 9mm does not have this issue. I think you'll end up feeling the recoil on your thumb webbing a bit more given how thin the grips are, so take that into account. Also don't bet on being able to find this pistol easily. It's in very high demand and from what I understand the production levels of it are not very large yet. If you are willing to wait a month or two (or more as I've heard some have been on waiting lists for months) while you hunt for it go ahead, but I don't think it's worth it.

What do you guys think about the Shield???

I bought my first handgun (of my own, that Momma didn't have to buy for me) on my 21st birthday. It was a Smith & Wesson Mdl. 59. I've always had a S&W of one sort or another ever since, mostly similar designs to the 59.

I carry a S&W M&P .40 full size sidearm at work. It's the big brother to the Shield. All employees where I work carry the same weapon. I've seen only one of those weapons ever have a problem. It had a small, hairline crack perpendicular to the alloy slide rail in the polymer (plastic) frame. Finding that one hairline crack caused every weapon company-wide to be thoroughly inspected, and the company kept us apprised of the findings, which were negative for all other weapons inspected (they passed the inspection - no other cracks found).

I also own other brands of handguns, including CZ, Kel-Tec, Beretta and Colt. I'm not a one-brand fan-boy kinda guy, but I'll put my Smiths up against any other brand for reliability, durability and accuracy any day of the week.

All that said, I have not fired a Shield yet. I am considering selling/trading one of my CZ RAMIs for one though.

Some will (and already have) suggest you get a weapon with more ammo capacity. Having no idea how you're built, I do know that a small, single-stack magazine weapon is easier and more comfortable to carry for most women. I know my GW (Gorgeous Wife) flat-out wouldn't carry until we trimmed it down to the Kel-Tec PF9. It's very similar statistically-speaking to the Shield. Lightweight, 7+1 capacity, easily concealable, fairly easy to field-strip for cleaning, though I usually do that for GW. She *could* do it if she had to, but she rarely does the gun-cleaning anyway, so there ya go.

Anyway, bottom line, if you can afford the Shield, I would have no problem recommending it. If you can't afford it, a Kel-Tec PF9 or Ruger LC9 would suit most women pretty well. Neither of the latter choices are as reliable as the Smith that you're considering though, so keep that in mind.

Blues

Hello Superprincess; The Shield is my choice of every day carry weapon. There is only one problem with the Shield 9 - it's almost impossible to get one. I got very lucky and was able to get one in July. I have put numerous rounds thru it without a single hiccup of any kind. Numenor seems to be right on about the 40's problems, but the 9 seems to be OK across the board. It does not hurt the webbing of my hand, but I wasn't real crazy about the grip and put a grip cover over mine. They have various names, but the original I think was made by Hogue. It is essentially a wide rubber (or other synthetic material) band that you stretch over the grip. I avoided the rubber because my shirt wants to hang up on it. This is the one I bought. TUFF1 Gun Grip Covers - Manufacturer of Worlds Best Universal Gun Grip Covers I don't know if it is available in your area, but you can get an idea of what it is and how it works. It just makes it a little easier to hold. Best of luck in your quest. As I, and many others, have said before, get what feels comfortable to you. And it certainly appears as if that is exactly what you are doing. Your next decision will be almost as frustrating as your hunt for the "right" gun, and that is a holster. If you promise not to laugh, I'll admit that we all seem to have a drawer full of them. The most iimportant thing about a holster is that it must cover the trigger. Secondly, if possible, get one that is closed over the end of the barrel. This will prevent lint etc. from getting in the barrel. Especially helpful if you should carry it in a purse. I've been married 50+ years and I know what your girls can get into a purse. Especially the little things, that could easily enter a 9mm hole. OK, it's time for me to get off my soap box. Again good luck and happy shooting. I'll bet when you decided to get armed, you didn't think it would involve this many decisions.:neo:

I like the M&P 9c better than the Shield, feels better in my hand. Actually I agree about the Bersa Thunder UC 9mm being a very nice gun. I have a liking for Bersa guns as I have the Thunder .380 which I carry. But I also highly recommend the Ruger SR9c, great gun, nice trigger, 10 & 17 round mags, dependable, accurate.

:victory:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back