What is your favorite J-Frame?

brock samson

I'm looking at purchasing my first CC revolver soon.

I'm considering a Ruger LCR, but am also looking at S&Ws. The problem is, there are so many S&Ws to choose from, how do I narrow it down?

What J-Frame do you guys/gals prefer?

I'm looking at purchasing my first CC revolver soon.

I'm considering a Ruger LCR, but am also looking at S&Ws. The problem is, there are so many S&Ws to choose from, how do I narrow it down?

What J-Frame do you guys/gals prefer?

For CC, I prefer this model;

Link Removed

Small and light weight. Bobbed hammer so it won't snag on clothing and you can fire from inside a coat pocket if you had to!!

For looks: the original Model 60 is still the most elegant.

For carry: 642, it is the gun I have in my pocket 90% of the time.

This is my mostly carry gun....

I love my S&W M&P 340CT revolver. It is small, light, and dependable. I am able to pocket carry it very easily, but it still feels just fine in a holster. I practice with mostly lower recoil .38's. In the summer, when clothing is lighter, I carry personal defense .38's, and in the winter I carry .357 mags. While it is true that it is only a 5 shot piece, most self defense shootings involve three shots or less. I have faith that superior training, consistent practice, and disciplined fire will win out over the typical BG hi-cap spray and pray. I also carry a couple of speed loaders, just in case. Reload speed is down to just a hair over 2 seconds, and that is while moving. :biggrin:

The Crimson Trace laser sight is nice, as is the front Tritium sight. I also like the fact that, should I need to do so, I can fire through my clothing without removing my firearm. The scandium frame and titanium cylinder make for a very light carry piece. Unfortunately, that same lack of weight can be a bit more punishing on the range, especially with the .357's. That said, in a self defense situation, I do not think that it would be an issue, at least not until later....:laugh:

Mine looks like this:

Link Removed

Why does the S&W M&P 340CT cost TWICE what a 638 or 642 does? Because of the materials and .357 mag?

And speaking of the 638 and 642, what is the difference in those two arms? Does one just shoot +P ammo?

642 is .38 special +p rated. I have the 442 which is the same only blued. I like the gun a lot, just don't plan on shooting it a lot. I'm not very recoil sensitive and still 30-50 rounds is all my hands can handle. Even with just .38 target loads its a pretty good thud.

I used to have a S&W Mdl. 38 Airweight Bodyguard that was one of the best sidearms I ever had until it developed an insurmountable problem. I'd get one again in a heartbeat. Currently I keep a Mdl. 60 handy, as does my Lovely Bride (hers is a Ladysmith). Nice guns, all.

My vote goes to the Smith and Wesson 442 with a crimson trace lasergrip.

It is what i carry most of the time.

Why does the S&W M&P 340CT cost TWICE what a 638 or 642 does? Because of the materials and .357 mag?

And speaking of the 638 and 642, what is the difference in those two arms? Does one just shoot +P ammo?

Materials are a big part of the equation. The Crimson Trace grips are also a large part of the cost.

Also, keep in mind that I bought this firearm a little more than two years ago, well before Karl Marx was elected president, and before the panic buying (not criticizing, I totally understand why) swept the country. I picked up my piece at a gun show in PA (yes, I was living there at the time), and I paid about $850 for it.

As far as ammunition goes, if you can afford to stick with a .357, then I would definitely recommend you do so. I really like the ability to utilize two different sizes of ammunition (.38 and .357). It has really broadened its role in my personal protection collection. :yes4:

I did find the same pistol with (nearly) the same specs as mine on gunbroker. The front sight is a Hi Viz instead of the tritium that I have, but it also has the crimson trace grips. Try a bid, you never know. It is item #138820029.

My vote goes to the Smith and Wesson 442 with a crimson trace lasergrip.

It is what i carry most of the time.

+1 on the 442. Love this gun, dont have the lasergrips for it yet, but I will be getting them as soon as I have the extra funds. always in my pocket when I get home

We got an LCR and are happy with it. Only downside is that I haven't found the perfect hip holster for it.

i have a sw 637 thier nothing like being able to shoot single action. just put your thumb on the hammer when you draw your gun, and it will never snag. I had a thaurus 651, and my brother had a body gaurd. I alway missed the hammer.

J-Frame

S&W 340PD, Scandium, concealed hammer chambered in .357 magnum. I carry it in an uncle mikes pocket holster, right front pocket and carry two speed strips of extra ammo. I love it! I also swapped out the rubber grips for some nice coccobolo grips from Craig Spegel in Oregon. The wood grips make it much easier to draw from a pocket, as rubber grips might snag on the pocket lining.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back