CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

What is the best gun cleaning products?

HK4U

I know we all have got a particular brand of cleaning and lubing product we use. What I am wondering is if there any recent independent tests that shed light on which ones might actually do a better job of lubricating and protecting?

WD-40 is the best stuff I've found in my experience. Nothing works better on my firearms. They even say so on the can.

J/K !!!!

All kidding aside, my favorite has been "Gun Scrubber" and "Mil-Tec". At minimum, I'll have a bottle of "Mil-Tec" on hand to do the cleaning and lubricating. The "Gun Scrubber" just speeds up the process.

gf

Cleaning

I care for a lot of heavily used range rentals. I have great luck with the foaming bore cleaners. Currently we are ordering Gunslick:
Link Removed

Everything else is #9 and Gunscrubber. For lube I use X1-R grease:
Link Removed

I do the same on my personal guns, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody use motoroil? I've used it in a pinch and seems to work very well...would go a long way. The instructor I had for my concealed carry class says he uses it as his main lubricant.

if the bore is really dirty I use Hoppe's #9 just to clean the barrel.
I generally clean everything with CLP or sometimes Remoil and I use Tetra Gun Grease on the slides and some of the other moving parts.
I have a whole tool box filled with cleaning supplies and brushes and all. I usually use Teflon coated rods and sometimes the Otis system.
Back when I was not as much into guns I would use whatever was the cheapest and quickest to use--the guns were always clean and always functioned perfectly.
Now that I own more guns and have gotten into all the intricacies of cleaning--my guns are still all clean and always function perfectly. Just takes me more time to clean them now
Wierd huh :biggrin:

Tag team cleaning

I use mineral spirits and Kroil for cleaning. Kroil seems to do a fantastic job of getting the bore clean. I spray the barrel and let it set for a day, then I hit it with patches, followed with the Boresnake.

I lube with the Kano Labs Moly spray, and the slide rails I use Brian Eno's Slide Glide.

I'm a little OCD about my gun, so not everyone will want to do my drill. It sure does work though.

I'm a recent convert to the Break Free products. If it's really dirty ( as in I'm cleaning somebody else's gun) I'll let the barrel soak with their Powder Blast, followed by CLP. If I'm cleaning my own guns after a trip to the range, I'll just let it soak 15-20 mins with the CLP.

hoppes elite clp was what i used for everything until i started using tetra gun products. tetra gun lube and grease are the best that you can find in local stores.

Break Free hands down!!!...God's gift to firearms cleaning and lubrication. This is also used by the U.S. Military.

As we all can see there are a lot to choose from and most I am sure do a good job.Each product will tell you that theirs is the best. I have wanted to try both Tetra and Shooters Choice products as they seem to be very good also but have not done so as yet. What I would really like to see though is some independent laboratory do a study as to which performs the best.

Email