Trigger Pull And Finger Placement

I have seen quite a few posts concerning shooting high or low, to the left or right. Of course one of the first things to look at is how you're sighting the target. I believe another primary concern is finger placement and trigger pull. Some believe that the index finger pad is the best position and I tend to disagree. I have found that the separating line between the first and second pads ( I guess it's called the power crease by some and the distal joint of the finger on the palmar side by professionals) gives a straighter more even pull, especially on longer pull firearms. Give it a try and see what you think. Any other points or suggestions to help?

that's pretty much how I have been shooting since I started. it just feels like I can get a straighter pull. if I try to use my finger pad I seem to push the trigger a bit making the shot go off to the left. so using the joint between the first 2 pads has been more comfortable for me. I mean I have not tried to train with using the pad on the trigger for any long amount of time. who knows maybe if I did there might be something to it. but unless some one says so, I think I'll stick with what has been working for me:)

Because my trigger finger is bent (childhood injury now arthritus) I have had to learn how to compensate.

I know how you feel. Fortunately for me it's my left hand most affected by arthritis and I'm right handed. I sometimes have to change my grip on the right hand though.

I was taught using the crease, and teach using the Finger pad as a starting point, i've use the crease and the finger pad over the years but sworn to nether. Since switching to Glocks years ago i use the CREASE, if you're a good shot using the crease or the pad, whose to say your doing it wrong.

With experience comes versatility, target shooting is different than combat/tactical shooting, hitting a target at 50 yards takes a different skill than hitting a target at 3-15 yards in a quick combat draw situation.

Everything starts with target shooting, mastering the Mechanics of shooting starts by learning to hit the target.

:yes2: This is the first that I have seen anyone suggest this technique (crease as opposed to pad). I have been having trouble with my groups hitting left (decent groups but grouping to the left) no matter what I try. I tried moving my finger (within the first pad) to the left and to the right but it doesn't seem to make any difference and we even moved my rear sight to the right a little when I had my Trijicons installed. No chnage~

My gun is a Glock 19 and I am transitioning from a Colt Trooper Mk III revolver. I wonder if the "V" shaped trigger on the Glock is a factor with pad/crease placement?

I will be Very interested to give this approach a try. Thanks for sharing ~ Dave

Finger pad, with the bottom edge of my finger dragging on the inside of the trigger guard. Makes for a consistent pull every time.

Mom, yes, for lefties flip the causes 180 leaving the 12 and 6 o'clock entries the same.

I have seen quite a few posts concerning shooting high or low, to the left or right. Of course one of the first things to look at is how you're sighting the target. I believe another primary concern is finger placement and trigger pull. Some believe that the index finger pad is the best position and I tend to disagree. I have found that the separating line between the first and second pads ( I guess it's called the power crease by some and the distal joint of the finger on the palmar side by professionals) gives a straighter more even pull, especially on longer pull firearms. Give it a try and see what you think. Any other points or suggestions to help?

I use both techniques. It depends on the action of the gun.

I use the pad of my fingertip when shooting single action semi autos and rifles. I feel I have a better feel for the trigger (and thus better control) using the pad alone when using these types of guns.

All of my single action wheel guns are Italian made Colt SAA clones or Italian made Colt percussion clones. All of them have the trigger offset to the left side when the gun is held in a shooting position to make it easier for right handed shooters to use them. Unfortunately, I shoot pistols LEFT handed. To overcome the offset, I use the crease of the first joint of my trigger finger instead of the pad.

For double action guns, I use the crease of the first joint. Shooting a revolver DA necessitates more hand strength to pull a trigger with a 8 to 12 pound resistance through the full stroke and a hooking the tip of my finger completely over the trigger face give me more leverage than just the tip.

As for shotguns, I really don't pay any attention to finger placement when using them. I use more of a 'point at it and mash the trigger' technique for the shotgun but I don't do a lot of shotgun shooting.

Growing up on a dirt road farm shooting squirrels with an old single shot 22 Remington did not teach me much other than not to miss. I shot using the crook of my finger because I did not know better or need to. When I started shooting comp. in the Corps my old master gunny outshot me all the time. In time I started listening and learning. He still outshot me but not by much and occasionally I would get in a better round than he. Just like most other things, there are tricks to every "trade". One of them is not putting any other pressure on the trigger than directly to the rear. Yep, now I use the pad and try to compensate for my lack of steadiness like I had in my youth.

I use both techniques. It depends on the action of the gun.

I use the pad of my fingertip when shooting single action semi autos and rifles. I feel I have a better feel for the trigger (and thus better control) using the pad alone when using these types of guns.

All of my single action wheel guns are Italian made Colt SAA clones or Italian made Colt percussion clones. All of them have the trigger offset to the left side when the gun is held in a shooting position to make it easier for right handed shooters to use them. Unfortunately, I shoot pistols LEFT handed. To overcome the offset, I use the crease of the first joint of my trigger finger instead of the pad.

For double action guns, I use the crease of the first joint. Shooting a revolver DA necessitates more hand strength to pull a trigger with a 8 to 12 pound resistance through the full stroke and a hooking the tip of my finger completely over the trigger face give me more leverage than just the tip.

As for shotguns, I really don't pay any attention to finger placement when using them. I use more of a 'point at it and mash the trigger' technique for the shotgun but I don't do a lot of shotgun shooting.

Correct....
Single action trigger (like 1911, with <1/2" of pull) uses the pad at the tip.
Double action trigger (revolver or DAO semi-auto with >1/2" of pull) uses the groove of the first joint.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back