Treating wounds

MightyPirate

Well unlike a lot of the posters in this section, I don't have much in the way of formal survival training. A lot of it comes from what my father (Air Force) and other family members (mostly Marine) have taught me. However I have picked up some stuff on my own from being young, dumb and full of....well anyways.

This first tip certainly won't directly save your life, however it is a good way to stop bleeding that isn't major (IE Artery). I used to work HVAC, and I quickly discovered that the foil tape that we use is an excellent bandage. In the HVAC industry deep cuts from sheet metal are common, and band aids just don't cover it. The foil tape isn't all that adhesive on anything other than metal, but it seems that whatever adhesive they use is an excellent coagulant. I have stopped cuts on my fingers and hands down to the bone with this wonderful tape. For this very reason I keep a small folded up strip in my wallet. You can find the stuff at lowes or home depot in the duct working sections. I know it sounds stupid, but it really is a wonderful little bandage. Admittedly if it's on or near a joint it will hinder mobility, but it only really needs to be on there for a few minutes for it to take effect.

From personal experience I can tell you trying to stitch yourself up is a bad idea. I tried it once to save on hospital bills (no health insurance at the time). I managed, but I got a mild infection thankfully I had some left over antibiotics from another incident. I actually had the proper equipment for it at the time, but I did get to thinking that if need be a light weight fishing hook could be filed down into a decent stitching needle. If you can lessen the curve with some pliers, but I'm not sure how malleable fish hooks actually are, trying to bend it may just end up shattering it. Remove the barb, if it's a heavy one thin it out a little and you're pretty much golden. It's not ideal, but if you're in a dire situation I think it would certainly do the job. Keep in mind infection is a big concern, but it takes a couple days or more to become debilitating. On a lesser note, super glue also works for small cuts, but for the big stuff it just won't cut it.

I have found myself with gauze and electrical tape around a finger or two in the automotive repair days.

I have removed some stitches in the past, but have never attempted to administer them. I have been lucky in the past few years with cuts.

I'll have to get some of that tape for the first aid kit in the truck.

Peace...

Good recipes for upping the chance of SERIOUS complications.

Imagine the liability if someone reads your so called advice and suffers a complication!

imagine the civil judgements as well as felony charges of practicing medicine without a license!

-Doc

Good recipes for upping the chance of SERIOUS complications.

Imagine the liability if someone reads your so called advice and suffers a complication!

imagine the civil judgements as well as felony charges of practicing medicine without a license!

-Doc

You seriously think someone could recover damages in a court of law by saying: "Well, he posted it on a website"?

I doubt he could be accused of practicing medicine w/o a license.

Course, given the idiotic rulings I"ve seen in my lifetime, nothing would surprise me at this point.

You seriously think someone could recover damages in a court of law by saying: "Well, he posted it on a website"?

I doubt he could be accused of practicing medicine w/o a license.

Course, given the idiotic rulings I"ve seen in my lifetime, nothing would surprise me at this point.

They could get your ISP, ID you, and make you spend a fortune defending yourself in court.

If someone were to die after this so called advice, A zealous prosecutor (remember that FB -I think it was suicide involving a kid) could put you at risk for life and liberty.

Suturing someone's wounds without a license? Definitely a prosecutable offense. A no-brainer, slam-dunk, straightforward case in any state!

Besides, it is totally stupid to give un(medically)educated, amateur advice for something as serious as wound care.

-Doc

They could get your ISP, ID you, and make you spend a fortune defending yourself in court.

If someone were to die after this so called advice, A zealous prosecutor (remember that FB -I think it was suicide involving a kid) could put you at risk for life and liberty.

Suturing someone's wounds without a license? Definitely a prosecutable offense. A no-brainer, slam-dunk, straightforward case in any state!

Besides, it is totally stupid to give un(medically)educated, amateur advice for something as serious as wound care.

-Doc

Anyone who willingly and knowingly treats a serious injury on their own in a situation in which real medical help is available with some advice they read on a web site that is dedicated to information related to open and concealed carry of firearms, should in my opinion seek medical attention for a mental health problem.:wacko:
If I were a jury member it would be a non issue.

I'm guilty of giving poor advice, I'll stipulate that. Hey, I think we all have done it at some time in life,
But treating a serious wound on your self or someone else with "internet advice"?

That's almost as dumb as letting the federal government have control of our health care... Uh... Wait.. :blink: Oh crap I think that's coming...

I'm sick and tired of being told I could be found guilty for the stupidity of others.

Peace...

Best to use items in a properly stocked first aid kit whenever possible. There will be times when you'll have to improvise the best you can to administer first aid (as in stop the bleeding) while waiting for medical care. With that said, proper medical care is recommended ASAP.

gf

Anyone who willingly and knowingly treats a serious injury on their own in a situation in which real medical help is available with some advice they read on a web site that is dedicated to information related to open and concealed carry of firearms, should in my opinion seek medical attention for a mental health problem.:wacko:
If I were a jury member it would be a non issue.

Peace...

That's why I only get medical info from watching ER and House.

Anybody watching "Spartacus" these days? Hell, the gladiators stitch each other up, no anesthesia either. So, hey, if they can do it...

ER, McGyver, Spartacus...if someone sues me for internet medical advice, I will counter with the notorious "TV Defense"...I saw it on TV, so it has to be true! (TV trumps Internet because its been around longer.)

Anybody watching "Spartacus" these days? Hell, the gladiators stitch each other up, no anesthesia either. So, hey, if they can do it...

ER, McGyver, Spartacus...if someone sues me for internet medical advice, I will counter with the notorious "TV Defense"...I saw it on TV, so it has to be true! (TV trumps Internet because its been around longer.)

Well Yea...:biggrin:

Remember the TV show "Emergency".. Those guys were cool.. My younger brother and I used up all the band-aids, gauze pads and medical tape. Mom got mad...:mad:

"Emergency!" (1972)

Peace...

Getting back to the Subject...

Some of the things I learned in the military,
In third world countries, livestock antibiotics are cheap and work well.
They come off the same production lines as the 'Human' equivalent, but are usually not 'Buffered' for human digestive tract.

Hog pharmaceuticals work particularly well since hogs and humans share much of the same digestive tract and infections.
Hog pharmaceuticals are usually graduated by body weight, and they are NOT afraid to over medicate a hog to get rid of the infections the first pass.

Using 'Fish Hooks' for sutures is a REALLY bad idea.
Anti-rust coatings on the fish hooks will often react with human tissue and you wind up poisoning yourself.
Nickel plated fish hooks are particularly bad because human skin will absorb the nickel and nickel WILL heavy metal poison you very quickly.

Suture packs are cheap and available, so are surgical staplers, a MUCH better way to do things.
Staplers can be used one handed so if you are working on yourself, that's a big bonus,
Plus you don't have to try and tie a suture knot with them, which can be darn near impossible one handed...

Gauze and super glue is a very quick way to close gaping wounds.
Quick and effective, glue one side down, pull the wound closed with the gauze and glue the other side.
Stings, but is better than sutures and it's MUCH faster.

A good clean cut, like with a knife that slipped, can be super glued back together very efficiently (AFTER it's cleaned!)
Super glue will seal in any contaminants, so the wound MUST be cleaned!
For small scale wounds, that's or causing the wound to bleed freely for a while before you close things up...
Or using something like 'Betadine' (Iodine Solution) to clean the wound.

A product called 'Quick Clot' is available, and it works, trust me!
Stings like the dickens, but that's minor if you are REALLY bleeding.

If there is something like a finger cut off, MOISTEN it (NOT SOAK!), put it in a surgical glove, tie it shut, and put it in a cooler or on ice until you can get help.

There is a little gadget called a 'Towel Clamp' that is intended to hold surgical towels in place during surgery.
They are GREAT for temporally closing gaping wounds until you can get to a hospital for proper care and wound cleaning/closure.
Our corpsman carried several and they were invaluable.

I've seen immobilization splints made of boards, magazines, rolled up towels for neck braces,
Anything handy to keep someone with trauma immobilized.

DO NOT use a tourniquet unless the extremity is COMPLETELY shredded or missing!
Once you use a tourniquet, there is very little chance the limb will survive.
In the event of a shredded or missing limb, you are MUCH better off trying to clamp the 'Bleeder' with hemostats or something of the like, and use pressure bandages to stop the rest of the bleeding, rather than using a tourniquet.

BETADINE is a wonderful thing to have on hand!

It's cheap, stores well, can be used DIRECTLY in open wounds, and kills EVERYTHING in the wound without burning up the wound.
Sold in name brand and generic form at any discount or drug store.

Also works great for disinfecting the HANDS of the first responders both before and after they work on somebody.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

DO NOT try and do 'Meatball' surgery yourself!

Since you have NO IDEA what you are doing, you can easily destroy nerves, blood vessels, ect. and cause someone to loose use of, or loose the limb or even die.

I've had EXTENSIVE military 'Field First Aid' training, and if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing, you can cause MUCH MORE DAMAGE trying to do something you don't understand...
I know just enough to be really dangerous, the difference is, I KNOW that I'm dangerous, most people don't have a clue!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back