To tell or NOT to tell?

Taipan

Makarov IJ70-18A (IMEZ)
I haven't had my carry license that long and haven't yet been pulled over with a loaded weapon in my posession. Per Indiana gun code, I do NOT have to tell the officer that I am in posession of a loaded weapon. However, I always imagined that I probably would tell him right off, just so that he doesn't get froggy, and start spitting lead my way if he did happen to find out. Your thoughts?

In a lot of states, the fact that you're a CCW holder is going to pop up on their screen when they run your plates anyhow. I just go ahead and tell them.

My rule of thumb regardless of which state I'm in if asked for my ID they get both. I consider it a courtesy to the Officer.

+1 they already know you have a permit when they run your plates. Any LEO is going to then assume you have a firearm and approach with that in mind. So to elude the fact would only be inconsiderate and partly stupid...no offense but that's what he'll think.

Make his job easy and let him know asap. he already has enough stress every day why add to it.

I live in Indiana and was stopped by a state trooper a while back. I had my g23 in the center consul and my USPSA rig and gun bag with a g35 (unloaded) sitting in the back seat. the gun bag and belt rig were clearly visible. I have NRA, USPSA, and GLOCK stickers on my car. I never informed the officer because I really didnt want to get out of my car or hand over my gun on the expressway, and I figured unless he's completely clueless he would ask me about any weapons if he cared. But he didnt ask me about anything except if I knew how fast I was going.
Maybe if I wasnt in a hurry or in another state I'd tell the officer, but I figure if they want to know they'll ask, I just want to save myself from any unnecessary dis-arming or questioning.

I believe it advisable to immediately tell the officer if you're "concealed" to establish trust. Automatically present CWP with your license as well. Chances are they will not even feel the need to see the weapon unless you are giving them a reason through your behavior or if you were committing a serious offense in the first place.
Just my 2 cents.

I believe it advisable to immediately tell the officer if you're "concealed" to establish trust. Automatically present CWP with your license as well. Chances are they will not even feel the need to see the weapon unless you are giving them a reason through your behavior or if you were committing a serious offense in the first place.
Just my 2 cents.

Tell

In a lot of states, the fact that you're a CCW holder is going to pop up on their screen when they run your plates anyhow. I just go ahead and tell them.

I agree. I show my permit w/OL and tell them immediately.

In my opinion it will put the LEO at ease.

In NC it is required to notify the LEO when approached by them. I have been stopped and it didn't show on the LEO computer, I always tell them anyway.

IMHO, it is silly to complicate the situation. Provide only the information that is requested. If you think the LEO will probably see your weapon, first mention your license to carry, followed by the location of your guns. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut.:to_pick_ones_nose:
I was pulled over by a deputy sherrif today, speeding, probably 11 mph over the limit. He called in to check out the tag and driver's license, and sent us on our merry way. Nobody mentioned weapons. I was carrying, as always.

Last edited:
I live in Michigan, we're supposed to notify ASAP. MY plan if the need should arise, hands on the top of wheel with the window down. Tell the LEO I have a CPL and am carrying concealed, my gun is "insert location here" and my ID is in "insert location here". Let him call the shots after that (no pun intended). That should help build trust and safety!

If I pulled someone over and new they had a CPL (even though most LEO's feel a little better knowing we've been checked out) I still would be cautious! And wouldn't like to see a bunch of movement in the car as I was approaching.

SA

In KY, you're not required to tell them (as I understand it), but if stopped, I would have my drivers license and carry permit in hand and tell them just as a courtesy thing and/or to let them know I'm legally carrying. If for some reason, I didn't have my weapon on me or in the vehicle, I wouldn't say anything about it since it wouldn't have anything to do with the stop. I intend to travel to OH quite a bit since I have relatives there and it's my understanding that when approached by an officer, you are breaking the law if you don't immediately inform them you have a carry permit and you are armed. (at least i believe that's the case, but i'm still trying to learn all the small differences between KY/OH/VA, the states I plan to be in at least every month at some point in time.

Just do it like I do. When you get pulled over yell at the top of your lungs (to make sure that he can hear you well) I HAVE A GUN!!!!

No seriously, just kidding, dont do that =)

I hand over both ID's and that usually gets the point across.

Always Tell

We are LEGAL gun owners. Always let a LEO know that your are carrying. They are on our side and appreciate the fact that we let them know. How many times is there an illegal shooting with a legally owned firearm? We are sheepdogs with the LEO's. Please read this story..........................

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

Have said this before and will say it again.
1. As long as I am legal, I do not care if leo knows that I am carrying.
2. In Texas it will show up when leo does a license check. I do not know if it shows up in other states when they do a check.
Have been stopped twice, once in Colorado, showed both license and permit. The officer did not say anything, so I did not. No Ticket. Other in Texas. Was not carring since I was going on a military base and could not carry there. Since it would come up on license check, I told him I was not carrying and why when I presented my license and permit. No ticket.
If I am in a state that does not honor my permit, I say nothing and DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO SEARCH.

OMG we've got three of these threads going now is it absolutely neccessary to resurect this one too?

We are LEGAL gun owners. Always let a LEO know that your are carrying. They are on our side and appreciate the fact that we let them know. How many times is there an illegal shooting with a legally owned firearm? We are sheepdogs with the LEO's. Please read this story..........................

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

Grossman’s “Sheep, Sheepdogs and Wolves” was mainly directed at professional soldiers and police officers it was never intended to be a Raison d'être for concealed carry permit holders. It’s an analogy and like all analogies its flawed and you don’t have to take it too far to find the flaws.

Sheep are herd animals that are kept not out of the benevolent goodness of their owner’s heart but because they produce goods that benefit the owner and only the owner. Where do you think the term getting “fleeced” came from? Unproductive sheep are killed.

Sheepdogs are not part of the flock they are employed to impose the owner’s will on the sheep, by force if necessary. They guard the flock because it is of benefit to the owner and they have no qualms about herding the flock to a slaughterhouse if that is what the owner commands. Sheep dog is not an appellation I would care to have applied to me.

It has been my experience that those, in the permit holder community, who seek the title of sheepdog, tend to be authoritarians who use it as a means of self aggrandizement. They tend to derive their feelings of self worth from the position of quasi authority they assume their permit gives them. This is, of course, my opinion but I have also seen posters on gun boards state that our status as permit holders makes us defacto auxiliary police officers. As such I believe the sheepdog mythology is very, very dangerous to the gun owning community and I speak against it at every opportunity.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back