The Uncomplicated Rationale for Carrying a Firearm

JrFreak

I post this from time to time so new members can see it. This is the best reasoning I have found on why people carry firearms. When it comes down to it everyone on this forum and any other carries for this reason...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Major L. Caudill United States Marine Corps (Retired)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason
and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice
of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding
under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those
two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively
interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of
social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the
menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You
have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to
negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only
personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a
220-pound mugger, a 75- year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-
year old gang banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a
carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the
disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential
attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source
of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be
more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a
firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of
course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly
disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity
when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue
for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the
strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized
society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful
living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations
lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is
fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are
won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on
the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't
constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings
and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun
makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker
defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is
level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an
octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply
wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal
and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a
fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side
means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it
because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It
doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through
reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It
removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a
civilized act.

I had a conversation with a guy at work today about the workplace shooting at Hartford Distributors that occurred on Aug 2, 2010. They are a liquor distributor and some idiot got caught stealing the merchandise and was going to be fired when he came to work. When he got there he managed to kill 8 people in about 3 minutes. My point in the conversation was that if one person was allowed to carry on the premises, the number of fatalities would have been much lower.

The guy I was talking to asked, "tell me again how more guns would have made that better"? I said, Really, someone could have stopped him as soon as the shooting started. A half hour later he still didn't get it because his point was that too many unstable people carry guns and allowing more people to carry at work would mean more workpace shootings.

A half hour after trying to explain that the rules of not bringing a gun to work only apply to the good guys who dont want to kill and anyone bent on killing would ignore them. He still didn't get it. Go figure...

Every mass shooting in the last umteen years has been in a gun-free zone: Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, etc. Tell me if there has ever been a mass shooting at a gun show. NOT

Some very good thoughts in that post, however it is incomplete. There are more ways to deal with people other than reason or force. What about deception? People can trick you into thinking they are being reasonable. Be aware of that. (Look at our current government )
I try to deal with people based on principles and basic morales. Do what is right even when it seems to go against the reasoning of the majority.
Its agood line of thought but I think it is a little too narrow.

I had a conversation with a guy at work today about the workplace shooting at Hartford Distributors that occurred on Aug 2, 2010. They are a liquor distributor and some idiot got caught stealing the merchandise and was going to be fired when he came to work. When he got there he managed to kill 8 people in about 3 minutes. My point in the conversation was that if one person was allowed to carry on the premises, the number of fatalities would have been much lower.

The guy I was talking to asked, "tell me again how more guns would have made that better"? I said, Really, someone could have stopped him as soon as the shooting started. A half hour later he still didn't get it because his point was that too many unstable people carry guns and allowing more people to carry at work would mean more workpace shootings.

A half hour after trying to explain that the rules of not bringing a gun to work only apply to the good guys who dont want to kill and anyone bent on killing would ignore them. He still didn't get it. Go figure...

Some people are dense...I've met some and one of them I love very much. She is so nice and sweet but I would like to hit her sometimes because she is just that -- dense. But what can you do or say that you haven't already said and done? Just smile and turn your back or smile and change the subject.

rudiepop:207954 said:
Some very good thoughts in that post, however it is incomplet There are more ways to deal with people other than reason or force. What about deception? People can trick you into thinking they are being reasonable. Be aware of that. (Look at our current government )
I try to deal with people based on principles and basic morales. Do what is right even when it seems to go against the reasoning of the majority.

Deception is persuasion through lies...I have read this before. Awesome post. Although I see this more of why to own a gun in the first place.

You can't reason with people like that... don't get it and never will. Sad thing is we have way too many people in elected offices that think that way.

Some very good thoughts in that post, however it is incomplete. There are more ways to deal with people other than reason or force. What about deception? People can trick you into thinking they are being reasonable. Be aware of that. (Look at our current government )

The successful use of deception in negotiation is termed fraud. In libertarian and to a lesser extent conservative thought, fraud is considered to be a type of force.

The author hints at but does not directly address a third means of relation. Although it does fall under reason. Namely trade. Arguement is an attempt to persuade through ideas. Trade is using money or goods to accomplish the same.

Every mass shooting in the last umteen years has been in a gun-free zone: Columbine, Virginia Tech, Fort Hood, etc. Tell me if there has ever been a mass shooting at a gun show. NOT

Very true... kinda like why do gun shops never get robbed? If only one person was carrying in that room in VTech... maybe have only been one death...his.

In gun free zones, only the bad guy carries a gun. There seems to be a problem here. I know! Let's outlaw all guns, that way no one has one!!! Sheesh! Is that one wore out or what. You can't fix stupid, but you can eliminate it from the gene pool.
Myself, I try to avoid gun free zones if possible....that way if the bad guy has one....so do I!. Kinda levels the playing field.

Want to use it? No. Will I use it? OH HELL YES!

In gun free zones, only the bad guy carries a gun. There seems to be a problem here. I know! Let's outlaw all guns, that way no one has one!!! Sheesh! Is that one wore out or what. You can't fix stupid, but you can eliminate it from the gene pool.
Myself, I try to avoid gun free zones if possible....that way if the bad guy has one....so do I!. Kinda levels the playing field.

Want to use it? No. Will I use it? OH HELL YES!

Exactly.

GG

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back