The story of my 2 new Kimbers at the cost of my SIGs

'Like minded people' being the operative phrase. Maybe you're on the wrong forum. Seems you missed the point!

KK

Once you all get done patting yourselves on the back and other for picking apart my story. I hope you all feel better.

If my story scares you, cease reading scary stories.

Yes yes, save your witty response. Im sure all of you are mr. gun usa, hand to hand extreme fighting champ,firearms pro (given right?), navy seal, delta force, marine recon, know it all's.

I was just sharing my story. I thought this forum was a place to meet like minded people and chat up guns and the like.

More like a place where people whos' power of anonymity makes them think what they think matters. Dont like my post? get the F on. Start your own thread.

Once you all get done patting yourselves on the back and other for picking apart my story. I hope you all feel better.

If my story scares you, cease reading scary stories.

Yes yes, save your witty response. Im sure all of you are mr. gun usa, hand to hand extreme fighting champ,firearms pro (given right?), navy seal, delta force, marine recon, know it all's.

I was just sharing my story. I thought this forum was a place to meet like minded people and chat up guns and the like.

More like a place where people whos' power of anonymity makes them think what they think matters. Dont like my post? get the F on. Start your own thread.

1. Why would you carry "every day" pistols (the Sigs) that you've never shot?
2. Why would you spend that much money on new pistols (the Sigs and then ultimately the Kimbers) and never shoot them?
3. How can you say the Kimber's are an improvement over the Sigs when you've never shot any of them?

All valid questions. Your story just sounds a little....strange......that's all. I don't think many of us have ever met a "gun person" such as yourself that would use an EDC that they've never practiced with or even broken-in. Also, you said you carry your 2-tone every day and then later you say it's NIB. Bit of a contradiction there.

In any case, both people you dealt with (who apparently have much more experience with Kimbers than you) seemed very eager to give up the Kimbers in exchange for Sigs. Things that make you go "hmmmmmm...."

Regardless of all of the "Ooo! Ooo! You better do 'this' because I want to give you my advise!" comments, you have just gone on my "I'm officially jealous!" list. I've eyed the Kimbers for a long time now but have always had them just out of reach mainly because I find something that I want just under the $$ threshold of the Kimber! :biggrin: Seriously! Congratulations!

Geez people! Lighten up! The guy comes here to share a story of his latest acquisition and everyone wants to jump on him for some reason that they think is important!

WTH! A body can't come here and say "I got a new toy!" and not get hit with admonishment after admonishment? Damn! Just tell him congratulations and move on!

Regardless of all of the "Ooo! Ooo! You better do 'this' because I want to give you my advise!" comments, you have just gone on my "I'm officially jealous!" list. I've eyed the Kimbers for a long time now but have always had them just out of reach mainly because I find something that I want just under the $$ threshold of the Kimber! :biggrin: Seriously! Congratulations!

Why would you want a hobby grade pistol like a Kimber when there are professional grade pistols for just a little more $?

Geez people! Lighten up! The guy comes here to share a story of his latest acquisition and everyone wants to jump on him for some reason that they think is important!

WTH! A body can't come here and say "I got a new toy!" and not get hit with admonishment after admonishment? Damn! Just tell him congratulations and move on!

Why would you congratulate someone for being a dumbass?

Why would you congratulate someone for being a dumbass?

Actually I would put you into the dumbass category for taking the high and mighty road instead of just enjoying the fact that HE got what HE wanted. The arrogance of you people that get into the 'my dog is bigger than your dog' mentality just completely escapes me. Why does it make any difference to you what he or anyone else carries?

The simple fact that he shares some of the same pleasures of gun ownership and the shooting sport should be enough, but with knuckleheads like you, if I'm not carrying the same gun, usin the sam e ammunition, using the same holster, driving the same truck, etc, etc, it's not good enough.

Stop and look in the mirror. Make sure its a full length mirror. Now answer this, "How'd you like to be stuck in a world where everyone was exactly like the image in the mirror?" Move on dude! Your decisions aren't all as good as you think they are.

Why would you want a hobby grade pistol like a Kimber when there are professional grade pistols for just a little more $?

"Some" people do consider Kimber to be professional grade pistols. It's all a matter of choice and the personal freedom to make the choice. Tell us all, in your wide experience as a gun owner and user what it is about the Kimber that puts it in such low regard with you. Please by all means, share your wisdom with all of us.

Im sure all of you are mr. gun usa, hand to hand extreme fighting champ,firearms pro (given right?), navy seal, delta force, marine recon, know it all's.

Have you been reading my profile mister...lol! Congrats on your guns. You can carry em backwards, on your head and unloaded for all I care as they are your weapons. I had this fella once think I was trying to talk about him because he carried his gun unloaded which is far from the truth. I really didnt care how he carried them except he asked what everyone thought about it.

"Some" people do consider Kimber to be professional grade pistols. It's all a matter of choice and the personal freedom to make the choice. Tell us all, in your wide experience as a gun owner and user what it is about the Kimber that puts it in such low regard with you. Please by all means, share your wisdom with all of us.

Total MIM fire control group and external controls. Plastic mainspring housing. Very hit or miss quality control. Custom shop in name only. Kimber markets to novice shooters who are ignorant of the 1911 market and buy into Kimber's flashy adds in the gun rags and TV.

Once you all get done patting yourselves on the back and other for picking apart my story. I hope you all feel better. If my story scares you, cease reading scary stories. Yes yes, save your witty response. Im sure all of you are mr. gun usa, hand to hand extreme fighting champ,firearms pro (given right?), navy seal, delta force, marine recon, know it all's. I was just sharing my story. I thought this forum was a place to meet like minded people and chat up guns and the like. More like a place where people whos' power of anonymity makes them think what they think matters. Dont like my post? get the F on. Start your own thread.
The issue is that your well ignorant ( look up the definition ) . If your going to carry a firearm for defense you need to be able to USE it. Having never fired it makes you exactly the kind of person who ends up making all the rest of us look bad. Nobody here that I have sen is claiming to be from any SF detachment. WE ( I hope all of us ) have shot and trained to some extent with our weapons. Not doing so is dangerous to you and all those around you. Then to boot you went form the Sig to what any person involved in any type of training will tell you the 1911 is NOT a good beginner weapon. The 1911 requires a very distinct skill set and you MUST train to be able to use it. Even many of those who own a 1911 and think they can use it can be put on the firing line and with a few drills I can make many of them fail time and time again. The 1911 is a fabulous weapon but unless you have the training and skill to use it it is a very poor carry choice.

The issue is that your well ignorant ( look up the definition ) . If your going to carry a firearm for defense you need to be able to USE it. Having never fired it makes you exactly the kind of person who ends up making all the rest of us look bad. Nobody here that I have sen is claiming to be from any SF detachment. WE ( I hope all of us ) have shot and trained to some extent with our weapons. Not doing so is dangerous to you and all those around you. Then to boot you went form the Sig to what any person involved in any type of training will tell you the 1911 is NOT a good beginner weapon. The 1911 requires a very distinct skill set and you MUST train to be able to use it. Even many of those who own a 1911 and think they can use it can be put on the firing line and with a few drills I can make many of them fail time and time again. The 1911 is a fabulous weapon but unless you have the training and skill to use it it is a very poor carry choice.

A very good point. I would not jump on a Harley Sportster and jam thru the city streets until I have a feel for the ride. Likewise with my 1911’s I certainly would not have felt safe for myself or the public if I had not “Qualified” on the range with each one. Too many training films and anecdotes concerning real life situations (Especially in the old S&WModel 15’s duty carry days) with a police officer dead with a full speed loader and empty revolver because he did not practice on the range and with dummy cartridges in his work shop/shed/garage. The 1911 with a faulty setting of the slide lock (Happened to me) failing to hold the slide open. Not a nice feeling to drop the empty only to have the bolt closed (1974 Colt Government, new, Montgomery Ward’s, and $150.00 N.I.B.).

True the 1911 is a creature of a whole different breed. As stated it amazes many people who THINK they are trained and well versed on the 1911 can be put on the line and given commands can quickly see the issues they have. Everything from dropping the mag out to FTF due to the safety being on. This in one of my big peeves witch Glock people tend to overlook much of the training they SHOULD do because the pistol is a point and shoot instead of a "manually" operated system. Of course as I said the 1911 goes the whole other end of the spectrum. You have to have well trained to the point of true muscle memory or you will have issues.

True the 1911 is a creature of a whole different breed. As stated it amazes many people who THINK they are trained and well versed on the 1911 can be put on the line and given commands can quickly see the issues they have. Everything from dropping the mag out to FTF due to the safety being on. This in one of my big peeves witch Glock people tend to overlook much of the training they SHOULD do because the pistol is a point and shoot instead of a "manually" operated system. Of course as I said the 1911 goes the whole other end of the spectrum. You have to have well trained to the point of true muscle memory or you will have issues.

A lot of folks feel this way about Glock. My gunsmith friend will not work on a “Plastic Gun”. One of my grandkids prefers the 1911 full size over just about everything we take out to the range. Remember the early days of the M-9 (92FS) versus the .45acp. A few magazine articles going around at the time of change 9mm v. .45acp. I do believe a few letters to the editor sections to include The American Riflemen (NRA) finally had had enough writing they were going to put the issue to bed, so as to speak, once and for all.

So if I wanted to buy a 1911, what are the top three? Colt, sprigfield, Sig?

You can't even begin to answer your question until you know what your budget is. The 1911 is GENERALLY a gun in that you get what you pay for, with a few notable exceptions (Kimber being the biggest). For a production 1911, Dan Wesson is, without a doubt, the best on the market. They go for about $1500+ for their top of the line Valor. Then you go into semi-custom territory, with Brown, Baer and lower end WC going for slightly below $2000 to mid $2000s.

Sir, please do not be misled. You do NOT have spend $1,500 and thousands more to have a good, workable, useful 1911.

The good old 1911-A1 was fielded and carried for years by the US military, from WWII up and including use in Desert Storm.

You can buy nice replicas from Springfield that will give you a reliable functioning 1911.

As an instructor I've seen students screw the pooch with darn near every sidearm imaginable. Glock's are as IDIOT proofed as a handgun can get and the idiots still find ways to throw a wrench in the process. So it isn't about the sidearm as much as it is the caliber of the student. My .02

Sir, please do not be misled. You do NOT have spend $1,500 and thousands more to have a good, workable, useful 1911.

The good old 1911-A1 was fielded and carried for years by the US military, from WWII up and including use in Desert Storm.

You can buy nice replicas from Springfield that will give you a reliable functioning 1911.

And just exactly how much do you think it would cost today to produce a US made "Military Spec" 1911a1? All tool steel parts with no MIM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back