The story of my 2 new Kimbers at the cost of my SIGs

Icewind

Please sit back and enjoy the story of my 1st Kimber and how I had to have a 2nd

3 weeks ago I had 2 SIG 1911s. I was perfectly happy and loving them. A 2 tone Ultra compact 1911 that I carried daily and a SIG Nitron Carry 1911. Both were never fired.

I walked into a local gun shop just for fun 3 weeks ago. I only looked at the 1911s. Saw the Kimbers and loved them. Then the perfect storm starts to brew. I just happened to be carrying my Nitron Carry on me that day, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry on sale for 1100, and I just happened to have some cash on me too.

Store owner was at counter. I said you up for a trade?

He says what you got? SIG Nitron Carry. What are you looking at? The Kimber on sale. Cash or credit he says. Cash. 300.00. I say done! walk out with my 1st Kimber and a smile that must have looked like the one I wore after my first time.

3 days ago at work my buddy has a Kimber Custom II that i had been eyeing. I joke and say trade my NIB SIG 2 tone for your Kimber. The next day the deal was done.

So in these last 3 weeks I went from no Kimbers to 2 Kimbers and I couldn't be happier!

I hated to say goodbye to my SIGs. But I believe I have reached the next level in a quality firearm

How would you know that you stepped up in quality; you never shot your Sig's. And why would you carry a firearm you haven't shot???

How would you know that you stepped up in quality; you never shot your Sig's. And why would you carry a firearm you haven't shot???

I am assuming the quality of Kimber is second to none after much research. I know others will say what they will on that. But Im talking about me and my thoughts on quality.

Also, SIG being no slouch, I carried the ultra compact with confidence. It isn't that tough. You shoot center of mass knowing what's behind the target. Military training and firing like guns makes it easier.

Regardless of marque, you need to run some (lots of) rounds downrange through your carry gun. I certainly hope you spend some time at the range with your new Kimbers before putting them in a holster for carry. Assuming may very well end badly.

Regardless of marque, you need to run some (lots of) rounds downrange through your carry gun. I certainly hope you spend some time at the range with your new Kimbers before putting them in a holster for carry. Assuming may very well end badly.

I was sharing a story of my journey to my 1st Kimber and then of my 2nd. Not really looking to debate carry and line time at range arguments. We all know range time and rounds fired is all important. But for now, im just sharing the journey on my Kimbers

Congratulations on your Kimbers, really. However, you included details which merit additional input. I'm not trying to bust your balls, just trying to interject with some common wisdom.

I agree a hundred percent. Unless things have changed since I purchased my Kimber Ultra Raptor a few months ago, the company stresses the importance of breaking in the gun, just as Kahr recommends breaking in their guns to the tune of a few hundred rounds. Let's see, I am ex military, ex police and have been shooting for about 60 years. Let me assume that qualifies to register this opinion: Anyone who carries a weapon who has not fired, and fired it a reasonable amount would probably be the same kind of person who would be amenable to a game of Russian Roulette!

A Kel-Tec that I purchased recently started dropping the magazine on the first box. It went back to Kel-Tec, spent six weeks there, and was still dropping the magazine every time it was fired. I would have felt real comfortable sans magazine had I had to use it in the field. My Ruger LCP had some issues the first day on the range.

Oh BTW, if you search on the internet, you will find a couple of Kimber horror stories - a mechanical device is a mechanical device and hence can fail.

BTW, my Kimber had a failure to feed malfunction on its 45 round.

I wouldn't trade a Sig magazine for a Kimber. Bought a Kimber NIB and it stove piped and jammed every other round, sent it back and they fixed it, but by then I didn't trust it.
Carrying a pistol for protection that hasn't been fired at least 500 rounds (1000 better) is crazy. Bad magazine bent firing, or broke sear, anything can happen. Know your gun better than your wife.
My Sig has fired well over 2000 rounds with no FTF :)

Oh BTW, if you search on the internet, you will find a couple of Kimber horror stories - a mechanical device is a mechanical device and hence can fail.

So true. Just ask North Carolina's Alcohol Law Enforcement bureau. They returned all 150 of their Kimbers about a year after purchasing them. Too many problems. I've seen countless instances of people raving about their Kimbers (in a positive way), but I've also read quite a few accounts of Kimbers failing or breaking in some way.....too many to ignore. Too many for a supposedly "elite" and very expensive firearm.

I think the OPer should run a few hundred rounds through each of his Kimbers before proclaiming them to be "the next level".

3 weeks ago I had 2 SIG 1911s. I was perfectly happy and loving them. A 2 tone Ultra compact 1911 that I carried daily and a SIG Nitron Carry 1911. Both were never fired.
You had a firearm you carried daily but never fired? What is the point of that? How do you know if it even works much less if you could hit something if you had to?

Please sit back and enjoy the story of my 1st Kimber and how I had to have a 2nd

I walked into a local gun shop just for fun 3 weeks ago. I only looked at the 1911s. Saw the Kimbers and loved them. Then the perfect storm starts to brew. I just happened to be carrying my Nitron Carry on me that day, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry on sale for 1100, and I just happened to have some cash on me too.

Store owner was at counter. I said you up for a trade?

He says what you got? SIG Nitron Carry. What are you looking at? The Kimber on sale. Cash or credit he says. Cash. 300.00. I say done! walk out with my 1st Kimber and a smile that must have looked like the one I wore after my first time.

3 days ago at work my buddy has a Kimber Custom II that i had been eyeing. I joke and say trade my NIB SIG 2 tone for your Kimber. The next day the deal was done.

So in these last 3 weeks I went from no Kimbers to 2 Kimbers and I couldn't be happier!

I hated to say goodbye to my SIGs. But I believe I have reached the next level in a quality firearm

My goodness.
I guess prior to posting anything anyplace one must have a committee review each line to see how each focus group feels about the issues inside and out. Point. You bought a new piece and are proud. Great. Question? Would you be happy slapping down a hundred grand for a new vehicle without driving it around for a while or prior to racing down a road? Not that I know of a gun dealer that would allow you to shoot a brand new anything, but give me a little room here. So, would you carry a rifle into battle before zeroing in? How many air craft are shipped new to the fleet to before a carrier take off?
I believe the only thing a long term, extremely expensive investment to be made without a break in period would be a Bride.
Now, please folks, no posts on the trial of a Bride or break in period.
Kimber is a great piece, I have all three sizes, and my logo on this blog is a hand penciled impression of Kimber. It is not the tip top of 1911’s. I wish it were. Nighthawk, to name one, may run 5K$. The CDP II is about $1,500.00 depending. I carry the Eclipse II, feels right shoots great.
I believe the Kimber to be in the line of a Chevy, maybe to the point of an Escalade.
Some folks love Glock. Others you could not give a “Plastic” gun to. I like Ford, some folks had rather buy a Chevy. Who is right?
If you are able to hit the target, it feels right, easy to carry do so.
I hope we are all friends here to a point and feel good to have someone to share our moments of joy with. I am glad to have another Kimber person to discuss this with. But, I will not throw rocks at anyone who like the Glock. I have the Glock Model 22 gen-3 and feel very good carrying this in earnest on the road with the capacity of 46 rounds.

i don't believe I've ever heard of anyone getting rid of a Sig-Sauer in favor of a Kimber. Thanks for sharing the interesting story.

I have two Kimbers, a Custom II and a Warrior. Both have been just as reliable as every other handgun I own.

:yes4: If you are happy with your new pistols then that is all that matters. Personally I would rather have the sigs, but that is only my opinion.

You beat me to the punch.... I'm reading this with my mouth agape as to why anyone would carry a firearm on them they have never shot.

Once you all get done patting yourselves on the back and other for picking apart my story. I hope you all feel better.

If my story scares you, cease reading scary stories.

Yes yes, save your witty response. Im sure all of you are mr. gun usa, hand to hand extreme fighting champ,firearms pro (given right?), navy seal, delta force, marine recon, know it all's.

I was just sharing my story. I thought this forum was a place to meet like minded people and chat up guns and the like.

More like a place where people whos' power of anonymity makes them think what they think matters. Dont like my post? get the F on. Start your own thread.

Once you all get done patting yourselves on the back and other for picking apart my story. I hope you all feel better.

If my story scares you, cease reading scary stories.

Yes yes, save your witty response. Im sure all of you are mr. gun usa, hand to hand extreme fighting champ,firearms pro (given right?), navy seal, delta force, marine recon, know it all's.

I was just sharing my story. I thought this forum was a place to meet like minded people and chat up guns and the like.

More like a place where people whos' power of anonymity makes them think what they think matters. Dont like my post? get the F on. Start your own thread.

We love chatting up guns and the like, but you did two dumb things. The first, carrying an unfired pistol and the second, trading your Sigs for Kimbers. Sorry, but your dumbassery had to be called out so that others hopefully won't make the same mistakes.

We love chatting up guns and the like, but you did two dumb things. The first, carrying an unfired pistol and the second, trading your Sigs for Kimbers. Sorry, but your dumbassery had to be called out so that others hopefully won't make the same mistakes.

THIS, coming from somebody who could think only to call himself G19gen3 posting on a 1911 topic. Ill tell you what. Take your glock and any sig you have and shove them up *edited for family reasons.

Also with a total of 5 post coming this strong at me, I bet I can safely assume you have been kicked off every other forum you have visited?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back