The Micro Guns

Glockster20

Clinging to God and guns
My son in law is in the market for a small pocket .380... His main carry is a Glock 23 RTF2 that he carries in a Kholster. He likes the rig very well. However, he works a job that sometimes requires a lot of bending, squatting or crawling. The IWB kholster with a medum size gun is not comfortable when having to be in some of these positions. His job sometimes places him in very bad areas of town and as such he likes being armed. He is very interested in having a small cigarette pack size pistol that he can just keep in a pocket holster when his job requires that he get down and dirty...lol. The overwhelming favorites on this site appear to be the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P-3AT. I would like to get opinions of each.

Went to the gun show yesterday and checking out the big three pocket rockets available.. i.e the Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P-3AT and Taurus TCP, The Taurus gets my vote hands down. The biggest thing I like about the Taurus is that the slide stays locked open after the last round. I like to know when I am empty and it makes for faster reloading. DAO trigger pull is about 6lbs. Also like the titanium slide and polymer frame. The gun sells for about $300. It's the ammo that will empty your wallet!! Does anyone here have the Taurus TCP and how do you like it?

YouTube - Gunblast.com - Taurus PT 738 TCP .380 Pocket Pistol

Hey Glockster, hope this helps. I have a Ruger LCP with the Crimson laser. I think the laser is the right option for this gun. It is light and easy to carry/conceal. Just noticed the laser is not working and think the batteries are dead. I am surprised the batteries went so soon. Will check that out and let you know. It is quite accurate for a small gun. It was impressive at 45' out. Very consistent though of course this is not a gun for that distance. The new Ruger LCR has my interest and I think that is something you should look into.
A bit more expensive but without a doubt very well made is the Kahr P380. Got one for my wife. This is a great gun built and works like a real semi auto. The slide locks open after the last round is fired whick the Ruger does not do.
The LCP is impressive and would get another one. The LCR (Light Carry Revolver) is interseting but have not tried it. The Kahr, if you want to spend the $$ is worth it for sure! Check out the Kahr P380. I am going to put a laser on that and never upset my wife! lol Good luck. Let us know what your son in law decides. Hope this helped some.

IF he has the $$$, I'd also have him check out the Sig P238.. It is a copy of the old Colt Mustang..

It is a little bigger than the P-3AT, which actually makes it fit the hand better, but will still fit in a pocket fine.
It is costlier, but well made and based mostly somewhat on the 1911 design.. It has a slide lock, real sights on it, a half cock, safety lever - no polymer..
My wife has one, and she loves it..

24vtyxw.jpg

My primary carry is a Kel-Tec P-3AT which I like a lot (carry it in a www.pocketholsters.com holster). I also have an LCP with the CT laser, and as already noted here in real world observation, the problem is the laser switch can easily be depressed in "storage" and suddenly ... dead batteries. However the LCP is also a great little gun and the laser is cool when it works.

I have not shot either the Taurus or the Kahr but based on appearance and reputation both seem like nice guns ... I really like the Kahr except the $$$. I have a Kahr PM9 which also makes a decent pocket weapon but is just a bit too big for my taste in pocket so it winds up IWB so I could go with a bigger weapon there (Glock, Sig, whatever) with little loss.

just my .02

Yes Capgun, he is looking for the DAO trigger...

Glockster20.. I'm sure you will help your son-in-law make a great decision..

The P238 is a great gun, but as with all things, it is not for everyone or every situation..
We are quite satisfied with our purchase, and with our positive experience, I do promote the gun, but respect everyone's personal choices for many reasons..
Happy gun shopping!! Let us know what you purchase, and how it work out!!!

Just a thought:

Have you looked at 9x18 Makarov? like FEG's, basically a Walther PPK in 9x18 Mak instead of .380 ?

Teensy bit more power in the size of a .380,

Ammo about 20 cents a round instead of 80 cents a round, and more plentiful, and a bit more powerful.

Bullet diameter just a smidgen bigger thn .380

Just a thought, because it's true that "It's the ammo that will empty your wallet!! "

I have an AMT Backup (same as OMC, discontinued model) , Seecamp (kicks hard), Diamondback DB380 (unfired yet) and Taurus PT58 (big for a .380)
I'm looking into the FEG 9x18 myself though, for above stated reasons..

2bear... Thanks for bringing up the Kahr P380! That is one he nor myself had considered. I am wondering if he will want to spend the $$$. I will certainly make him aware of it.

I think he has his mind pretty much set on the Taurus. However, I thought I would queury the group and see if anybody has one or has fired one. I have heard good things about the Ruger LCP... once the recall issue was fixed anyway.

RPB... Thank you for bringing up the Makarov... Another one I hadn't thought of...lol. You are right about the ammo being cheaper. I will bring that to his attention and let him weigh the options.

ive never fired one, but Magnum Research has a Micro Eagle out that i seen in stores. it looks pretty good. its a .380 as well. its around 500 bucks. here are a few specs.

Caliber .380 Auto (9 mm Browning)
Length 4.52" / 116 mm
Length of the Barrel 2.22" / 57 mm
Height 3.71" / 95 mm
Width 0.90" / 23 mm
Finish Nickel Teflon
Weight Empty 14 oz / 400 grams
Magazine Capacity 6-Rounds
Trigger Mechanism DAO
Safety DAO
Sights Fixed/Non-Adjustable

ive never fired one, but Magnum Research has a Micro Eagle out that i seen in stores. it looks pretty good. its a .380 as well. its around 500 bucks. here are a few specs.

Caliber .380 Auto (9 mm Browning)
Length 4.52" / 116 mm
Length of the Barrel 2.22" / 57 mm
Height 3.71" / 95 mm
Width 0.90" / 23 mm
Finish Nickel Teflon
Weight Empty 14 oz / 400 grams
Magazine Capacity 6-Rounds
Trigger Mechanism DAO
Safety DAO
Sights Fixed/Non-Adjustable

???? Does this Micro thang fit into the Handle of a Desert Eagle 50???

ha ha. its pretty dang small! although ive never tried stuffin it in my magazine well :biggrin:

Link Removed

My personal choice in had guns is DBL Action or DBL only. Check out this one. Absolutely micro.

Link Removed

Sorry ricbak. Don't know if we were positing about the same time or I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Looks like we were thinking on the same wave link.

That's funny, HK, TD, I was looking at the 2010 Cat for MR/DE awhile back. I saw that little thang and thought you could almost fit it under a grip over the mag well. Then go to the other extreme and a 10 inch barrelllllll---------- 50 cal... That would be a handfull.

Sorry about the highjack

Dude, ricbak I may have to put this on top of my list if I decide to get another micro. I have a Beretta Tomcat but this in 380 would be a step up from the 32. Only thing it is a little steep for a mouse gun but then again you get what you pay for.

very true hk. its kinda like buying tools. you can get cheaper tools but if im going to trust it to my life then i would def. not cheap out. not to say the others are cheap by any means. ive seen a guy fire that little guy at the range a few weeks ago. it was very small, but yet accurate. he was getting headshots in his target at 15-20 yards. not bad at all for a 2 inch barrel. he carries it in his boot. i like the oppurtunities that come with a very small compact weapons such as that one. and for 500 bucks, it should last a lifetime. i could see a 10 inch barrel being a handfull. thatd be modern day dirty harry style. :biggrin:

i carry a DE .50. i get a lot of weird looks but its a damn nice pistol. some say its overkill, but it suits me to a t. its a little on the heavy side but one can easily get used to it. i just have trouble getting in and out of my car with it cuz i wear it on my hip. i need to get the shoulder holster for it. im just too cheap at the moment.

2bear... Thanks for bringing up the Kahr P380! That is one he nor myself had considered. I am wondering if he will want to spend the $$$. I will certainly make him aware of it.

I think he has his mind pretty much set on the Taurus. However, I thought I would queury the group and see if anybody has one or has fired one. I have heard good things about the Ruger LCP... once the recall issue was fixed anyway.

RPB... Thank you for bringing up the Makarov... Another one I hadn't thought of...lol. You are right about the ammo being cheaper. I will bring that to his attention and let him weigh the options.

The LCP is a great gun but there is a way to make it even better. Spend $18.00 and get a Wolf spring kit. It takes the LCP from a 9 pound slide spring to an 11, 12 or 13. I use the #13. This entirely stops any misfeeds and takes a good 1/3 of the recoil away. It changes from a good .380 that is OK for experianced shooters to a well behaved weapon sutible for just about every one. It is unreal how it changes the LCP. this past weekend I shot it with the new springs for the first time and put 250 rounds through it with no sore wrist ot hand. Not a single hickup and it should help reduce wear on the polymer.

As stated in the other posts, guns are something that must be compatable with the owner. I have handled guns that others love and I couldn't wait to give it back and vice versa. The person wanting the weapon needs to test each one and decide for his/her self. Whatever rings your bell is the right one and you will generaly know it when you pick it up:)

Good luck and keep us all informed of your decision and why. We are a nosey bunch! :sarcastic:

The LCP is a great gun but there is a way to make it even better. Spend $18.00 and get a Wolf spring kit. It takes the LCP from a 9 pound slide spring to an 11, 12 or 13. I use the #13. This entirely stops any misfeeds and takes a good 1/3 of the recoil away. It changes from a good .380 that is OK for experianced shooters to a well behaved weapon sutible for just about every one. It is unreal how it changes the LCP. this past weekend I shot it with the new springs for the first time and put 250 rounds through it with no sore wrist ot hand. Not a single hickup and it should help reduce wear on the polymer.

As stated in the other posts, guns are something that must be compatable with the owner. I have handled guns that others love and I couldn't wait to give it back and vice versa. The person wanting the weapon needs to test each one and decide for his/her self. Whatever rings your bell is the right one and you will generaly know it when you pick it up:)

Good luck and keep us all informed of your decision and why. We are a nosey bunch! :sarcastic:
Thanks thebrez1! Seems like a great suggestion. I just wonder why, if it makes the gun so much better they don't make it with a heavier spring like that in the first place. I am going to try out your advice.
BTW Just got the wife a Ruger LCR. It's very nice. Going to get the Crimsom grip for it. Just a bit larger then the LCP but taked .38spcl in vanilla or +P and +P+. Think just the plain 38 spcl will do just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back