Telescoping steel baton

I'm quite interested in learning more of the legalities involved, particularly in my state, Washington. But in general, I think we "look" better using a "non-weapon" than something defined as a weapon.

It's silly, but I think most courts and Prosecutors (Persecutors?) are more likely to nail you to the wall for stopping an attacker with an ASP baton, a nightstick, or another "weapon," than for caving in his skull with a flashlight or the bar you were using the tighten the load binders on your truck.

That being said, the cane looks pretty good. It's just too bad there are so many laws opposed to the telescoping baton.

Same situation with pepper-type sprays. Most states allow you to have those little nicey nice lipstick cases filled with an eyedrop of spray, when you can buy a nice-sized cannister of bear spray that WILL stop a bear that is illegal. You would think with the spray or the baton that when it comes to self defense, someone would think and encourage these non lethal defense tools over the lethality of a firearm. Just a note I mentioned the disparity in types of spray with a neighbor who is an investigator at the prosecutor's office and at least in my jurisdiction, the chances that someone will prosecute me for using a non-lethal, yet illegal cannister of bear spray, as opposed to shooting someone, is minimal. Only trouble with this is I can see the perp now suing me for illegal use of the spray even though I could have killed him and been done with this whole episode.

You would be suprised what is considered a weapon in different states. Blackjacks and other various weapons are outlawed but it never comes up. Look up you local state, county, and city rules.

LGH:256562 said:
Saltcreek;2uY30437 said:
I carried and used a nightstick and ASP for 25 years on the job. In Ohio you will quickly go to jail for having a collapsible baton. They classed in the same catagory as brass knuckles and nun-chucks. BAD advise. I don't know of any CCW permit anywhere that allows you to carry other such "backup" weapons.
This sounds like advise from an armchair warrior who has made several bad "assumptions". My comments are not assumption because I have been to court many times where there are no assumption, only case law. "YouTube" is not accepted training,and often has bad advise. Where is your certified training? Also, once you engage in the hand to hand combat as you described, you are no longer defending yourself, but engaging in "Mutual Combat" and you will go to jail. Once you engage in doing "joint locks" you are no longer defending, or in fear of your safety under the law. Ohio law for instance, does not permit a civilian to use physical force to apprehend someone, even in a felony. A baton under Ohio law is defined as a "deadly weapon", so your excuse of less lethal force is mute. Virtually every one of your "assumpsions" has already been debunked in actual case law. I suggest studying actual law before guessing. Not trying to be mean, but street lawyer advice will get someone hurt or arrested. The TV show T.J. Hooker was just Hollywood.

A baton is not against the law in the state of Ohio. It is not listed on the list and does not fit into the similar weapons.

ORC 2923.20 Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife, or similar weapon;

I believe ia falls under billy... Its another term for baton, hence the term billy club.

You might take a close look at Florida's concealed weapons permit.

But I agree, most states have crazy laws. I can legally carry my .45 but two sticks tied together with clothesline constitutes a crime. My wife used to be a cop, she liked the ASP baton. But now she's not, so if we carry one we're criminals. It's insane.

Get a good stout cane if you want a PC impact device, if anyone says anything just mention the Americans with Disabilities Act and that usually settles the cane issue.

Seriously?

I'm a career cop and an Instructor-Trainer for Monadnock's baton systems and I don't carry one off duty. I would strongly advise that folks pass on this advice.

I never trust a cop for advice. I would strongly advise that folks pass on his advice too.

There are going to be instances where deadly force, or even drawing, would be excessive, but snap a baton out, and you can level the playing field in most cases. If I have a gun on me, I want to protect it from being taken, too. I could cite circumstances, but you get my drift.

You would be suprised what is considered a weapon in different states. Blackjacks and other various weapons are outlawed but it never comes up. Look up you local state, county, and city rules.

PROBABLY because once used, the police aren't even called! A few times around here I've been intimidated by burly elements, as I manage a property and don't always deliver good news. I'm no muscle man, and would like to not be afraid to take someone on, that's easily larger than I am. I'm saving my $ for a firing stun gun too. Not every instance calls for a firearm.... right cops?

I never trust a cop for advice. I would strongly advise that folks pass on his advice too.

There are going to be instances where deadly force, or even drawing, would be excessive, but snap a baton out, and you can level the playing field in most cases. If I have a gun on me, I want to protect it from being taken, too. I could cite circumstances, but you get my drift.
\
Seriously, That's what you have to post?

Go ahead and bypass advice by people who have been both involved as a baton instructor and with the legal system ref use of force issues for 25 years, go with fantasy internet retardation.

Post from jail please with an AAR of the incident when all of that goes horribly wrong for you.

If you want non lethal go for pepper. In Washington you can buy it at Ace Hardware. Legal, easy, effective from point blank to well beyond the range of your baton.

Get a good stout cane if you want a PC impact device, if anyone says anything just mention the Americans with Disabilities Act and that usually settles the cane issue.

As someone who is disabled, and needs a cane (and a dog for that matter) I can't believe that you would actually tell someone to "carry" a cane and claim ADA. Maybe that's why some legislators want to chip away at the ADA and put more restrictions on it. This is an abuse just like the person who has their pet dog out and claims ADA, the law is for those of us who, oddly enough I know, NEED them. That said, utilizing a cane or walking stick, is time honored and you don't need to claim a disability to have it. A cane is useful for many situations, yes, including defense. That said, if you're in the right and using it for true defense without having looked for trouble, then stick to the truth and let the cards fall where they may. You may have some legal issues, but at least you're alive to fight them.

If you are going to use anything for self defense (hand to hand, striking implement, chemical spray or firearm) you had better know everything about using it! You had better know whether or not it would be legal to use where you are located or where you might be next. Most importantly, you better know how and when to use it! Train, train, train, practice, practice, practice! YOU are your defense, everything else is just a tool to use.

May have missed it somewhere here, but are they illegal in Texas? Had a friend who had one and it makes sense to carry, just don't want to go to jail over it.

In Kentucky our ccdw covers firearms brass knuckles large hunting knives batons anything that can cause deadly force (which is silly because im sure anything could be used and be lethal)

I personally think the baton is a great idea I carry one though its 26" I use it when I need to and Know they come in handy for all kinds of things.

How useful is a baton for someone with no baton-specific training, just Arnis/Kali training? I've been thinking about getting a matched pair of 26" ASPs.

I bought a cheapy on Amazon for $27 shipped. 26", better than nothing. I need some non-lethal backup, I can think of instances off the top of my head in the past year it would have come in handy. I also just got in MACE 10% pepper gel with LED light for $21 delivered, amazon. The MACE I have in hand, tomorrow the baton should get here. It is legal to carry one in Wisconsin so long as you have a concealed weapons license, which I do have. I will practice with it, the trouble with that is finding a willing "partner" to get hit on. ha I realize the ASP is better, but as I said, it's better than nothing, worth it even if I only use it once ... they're pretty sturdy if you don't hit on the joint where it collapses.

I'll be putting up review videos of this stuff on utube, I already put up the mace one.

After much consideration, I feel a little better carrying something I may be able to use and not be required by law to have to report a 'happening' (such as if you so much as draw on someone, law states police should be called, even if justified).

Only thing you have to consider, is if you are going armed with baton, mace AND 9mm, you need to use them in that order to some degree, otherwise a jury would tear you apart if you just went for the gun first off.

My youtube username is the same as on here.

I've bent several of the cheap telescopic batons. If u trust your life to it, buy quality. Asp or monadnock

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back