Should staff and teachers be able to carry in Schools?

Most police officers are not highly trained when it comes to weapons proficiency. Every one that has attended a shooting course that I have been in has been mediocre at best. This is not meant to lambaste all officers in general but to point out the error of assuming that all police officers are highly skilled with a weapon. Police officers just like the general public possess a variety of individuals with broad ranges in skill.

I agree with you. I see this each time I qualify. There are some that barely make the qualifications and others who are trying to see when they fire six shots center of mass, if they can get all six casings to be in the air at the same time and still get great shot placement.

One thing to be mindful of, is how LE are trained. They are not trained to keep their shots in nice tight 1"x1" squares. They are trained to draw as quickly as possible, and they are trained to go center of mass. When that does not work, they are trained to go ocular cavity.

This is great training (if you are a good shooter to begin with). However, there are some that aren't good to begin with and they are then being trained to be fast too. This is when problems arise.

As a former educator (retired) I often advocated for trained administrators, teachers and support staff to be able to carry concealed and/or open on school grounds. Making, and advertising via signs at school entrances, schools as gun-free zones only invites the nut jobs to walk right in and know they won't be challenged by an armed staff member. This only makes our students and school staff sitting ducks. I was happy to see some states and school districts make this possible and hope that more do. Schools being able to post that staff are armed would be a great deterrent to school shooters.

I posted this as its own thread, but it applies here, too. The Sec. Gen. of Interpol recently went on the record that the best way to deal with terrorists and mass shooters is to let citizens legally carry their firearms.

Just keep taking guns out of the hands of good people and we will stop all those crazy shooters. I mean how absurd it is to think armed teachers
could ever stop a shooter. No Guns signs are there to stop the shooters.

:sarcastic:

Guns for those in schools

I think it should be up to the individual teacher or staff member. I also think all staff should have the appropriate training regardless of their choice so they may handle situations as they arise.

i agree something has to be done to protect our children as time goes on mire and more of these keep happening something has to be done are children are our future no pun intended and the most precious and defenseless things in our lives

I submit this photo as proof that protected school staff is of no harm to the students.
~
Link Removed
~
This is my fathers machine trades class at Columbiana County JVS, Lisbon, Ohio, early 80s dressed for Halloween.
~
Yes, today this would not be politically correct, but today is a different world.

As a kid, me and my friends used to bring our guns to school and keep them in our lockers so we could go bird hunting in the woods at the back of the property when school was over. It was no big deal. I still have my first gun, a 22 tube feed bolt action, my grandfather gave to me... it's a Western Field. In those days, you bought one right along with your bluejeans and a new washing machine. It doesn't have a serial number on it, didn't see a need for such stuff in those days either. I miss those days.

Hi everyone, I'm a mother and I would love for teachers/staff to be able to carry. Think about it if some crazy walked in and didn't have any idea that there was armed staff there would be a lot less school shootings I believe, but who knows with the world today and some of the crazy people in it. Our kids and their educators need a fighting chance so I say "yes" let them carry

As a kid, me and my friends used to bring our guns to school and keep them in our lockers so we could go bird hunting in the woods at the back of the property when school was over. It was no big deal. I still have my first gun, a 22 tube feed bolt action, my grandfather gave to me... it's a Western Field. In those days, you bought one right along with your bluejeans and a new washing machine. It doesn't have a serial number on it, didn't see a need for such stuff in those days either. I miss those days.

I can relate to this, when in HS I would run my trap line before school and get on the bus about a mile from my house, the driver knew what I was doing. Always carried a .22LR pistol with me for varmints that go bump in the night. Never had anything said until one Friday when I forgot to take home my gear and left a small muskrat in my locker over the weekend. Someone did say something about the whole situation then. Man did that critter stink up the joint. Just gotta love the 60s.

I don't even think it has to be mandated, just allowed. Simply making it known and posting that teachers are allowed to carry will have a deterrent effect. Criminally insane people will then go to malls...

Teachers have a job of teaching our future leaders. In this day and age where violence is growing exponentially, they should carry!
(but discreetly)

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Teachers have a job of teaching our future leaders. In this day and age where violence is growing exponentially, they should carry!
(but discreetly)

Why discreetly?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I still object to the notion put forward by some here that teachers should only be allowed to carry after receiving extensive, specialized training. Concealed carriers are armed in very public, crowded places all the time - WITHOUT INCIDENT.

I want my wife to carry in her school for one reason: not so she can assist in clearing the building, not so she can actively seek to confront an active shooter, but so she can come home - alive. That doesn't require any specialized training. I just want her to have the chance to defend herself and the kids in her classroom if the shooter makes the mistake of coming through the door of her classroom.

In that respect, carrying armed in school takes no specialized training.

You want teachers to act like a security force? Then yes, train them. I really don't think most of us here are necessarily advocating for that approach. Just let them do in school what they already do in other public places - let them carry. There is no additional expense to be incurred in doing that.

Why discreetly?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

So as not to take away from the classroom atmosphere of keeping students on task at learning. Also, needs to be permitted by the school board. I've read too many stories of teachers losing their job by having a gun in the classroom.

So as not to take away from the classroom atmosphere of keeping students on task at learning.

Therein lies the problem. The liberals have people so brainwashed about guns that the mere presence of one in the classroom is a distraction from learning? How about this: lets teach the kids about the Constitution, and how it protects their inalienable human rights as free Americans. If this is instilled at a young age, and the presence of guns is shown as normal instead of vilified, there will be no disruption in the "classroom atmosphere". It might take a few years to get there, so let's start now.

With so many shootings in schools today I think it’s a “must”.
They actually should encourage every teacher to have a locked gun in the classroom or in their pocket.
One cannot count on police period.
When I was living in NY couple of years ago I read an article about somebody trying to sue the Police for responding to a 911 call and not helping (it didn’t involve guns). The reality was that police is NOT required by LAW to help anybody if they choose not too or it’s too dangerous (something like that). So even if they arrive and know that somebody is actively shooting around they don’t have to help.
Not sure if that’s in other states, but it was in NY.
When my kid is up for schooling I’ll actually verify what is implemented in the local schools.
For now I’ve made a decision to try homeschooling unless there are at least couple Police/Army trained (not security trained) guards on duty or teachers have access to arms.

I still object to the notion put forward by some here that teachers should only be allowed to carry after receiving extensive, specialized training. Concealed carriers are armed in very public, crowded places all the time - WITHOUT INCIDENT.

I want my wife to carry in her school for one reason: not so she can assist in clearing the building, not so she can actively seek to confront an active shooter, but so she can come home - alive. That doesn't require any specialized training. I just want her to have the chance to defend herself and the kids in her classroom if the shooter makes the mistake of coming through the door of her classroom.

In that respect, carrying armed in school takes no specialized training.

You want teachers to act like a security force? Then yes, train them. I really don't think most of us here are necessarily advocating for that approach. Just let them do in school what they already do in other public places - let them carry. There is no additional expense to be incurred in doing that.

Yes, trained personnel in a classroom are actually more dangerous :sarcastic:

With so many shootings in schools today I think it’s a “must”.
They actually should encourage every teacher to have a locked gun in the classroom or in their pocket.
One cannot count on police period.
When I was living in NY couple of years ago I read an article about somebody trying to sue the Police for responding to a 911 call and not helping (it didn’t involve guns). The reality was that police is NOT required by LAW to help anybody if they choose not too or it’s too dangerous (something like that). So even if they arrive and know that somebody is actively shooting around they don’t have to help.
Not sure if that’s in other states, but it was in NY.
When my kid is up for schooling I’ll actually verify what is implemented in the local schools.
For now I’ve made a decision to try homeschooling unless there are at least couple Police/Army trained (not security trained) guards on duty or teachers have access to arms.

The SCOTUS ruled that police have no duty to protect in 2005. This covers the whole country, not just in NY. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

Yes, trained personnel in a classroom are actually more dangerous :sarcastic:

"I'm the only one in this room professional enough, that I know of, to carry this Glock .40." Wow. What arrogance. AND he's a FED?!

And he REALLY doesn't understand why no one will trust him that the long gun is empty?!

I would also love to know how many other "professionals" had handled this firearm before this blowhard did without clearing it. The slide is locked open when he first picks it up, he releases it without ever inspecting the chamber, and then pulls the trigger.

I have been handling firearms since I was seven years old (over 40 years) and have NEVER had one go off accidentally. In my job I handle firearms dozens - sometimes hundreds - of times each day. NEVER had an accidental discharge. If I had been conducting that presentation, the first thing the kids and parents would have seen me do would be to clear each firearm I handled, even if I was sure they were unloaded. I clear a firearm EVERY time I take it out of the case or box when I'm at work by first removing and inspecting the magazine, then working the slide to make sure there isn't a round in the chamber, and I clear it again the moment a customer hands it back to me. But in this agent's eyes, I'm not a professional. Probably safer that way.

So this "professional" managed to accomplish a few things: 1) he proved to these kids that cops can't be trusted to safely handle firearms, 2) he gave them a first-hand example of why EVERY firearm needs to be treated as if it is loaded, 3) he managed to shoot himself while bragging about his mad skills as a "professional," and 4) he accomplished the goal of terrifying these kids of firearms. How many in attendance that day will never own a firearm for their own protection because of this fool?

I would love to know if any of the school personnel or parents in attendance at this event were CPL holders….

At least one person filming this event was required to turn their tape over to the DEA, and the agent involved in the shooting sued the DEA for violating his privacy when this tape was "leaked;" "Paige, who worked undercover, claimed that the video’s distribution resulted in him becoming the “target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments” everywhere he went." The judge threw his lawsuit out of court (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster...d-dea-agent-who-shot-self-leg-during-gun-demo).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back