Shot and Robbed At The Range

Here in the Charleston area of SC there is an outdoor gun range at the Francis Marion National Forest. It is just an open range with no direct supervision and, as you would expect, it is quite a bit "into the forest". I went there once with two other friends and have never gone back. I read a story like the one that headlines this thread and all it does is remind me of that extremely vulnerable feeling I felt out in the middle of nowhere with my firearms as I concentrate on the targets down range. Situational awareness is just blasting in front of my eyes as I envision some BG coming up to me, putting a bullet in my head and taking off with my firearms without a hint of a problem. I did not read the entire story surrounding this thread but I would guess that the gentleman was alone at an outdoor range--hey guys situational awareness is important even when you have your firearm right out in front of you.

Had the same feeling at Boggy Head range in the Francis Marion. Still went back a few times but always with a few other shooters. STRENGTH in numbers!

Hey JohnLM: You are alone or even with someone at the range. The range is, by definition, in the middle of nowhere. You have your earplugs in place and cannot hear a thing. You are concentrating on your targets looking forward and not behind you. You think this is the last place some BG will be looking for a new firearm without witnesses?

Recent Happenings

A friend and I were at Rustic range near Lubbock, Tx and were on the silloutte (sp) range where there is no video feed to the range shack. We had just came from the rifle range and had our firearms in the back of our pickup. We were approached by 3 men, who were shooting on the silloutte range too. 2 of the men talked to my friend and was checking out our equipment. The third moved behind me.
I knew it was a bad situation. My friend placed his hand on his pistol he was carrying. I had a knife dad had taught us to throw I grabbed.
The 3 men backed off and left.

It's the closest I've ever come to a very violent throwdown in an extremely long time. Sad you can't trust other people.

We learned a valuable lesson that day. Keep everything locked up at the range.

A friend and I were at Rustic range near Lubbock, Tx and were on the silloutte (sp) range where there is no video feed to the range shack. We had just came from the rifle range and had our firearms in the back of our pickup. We were approached by 3 men, who were shooting on the silloutte range too. 2 of the men talked to my friend and was checking out our equipment. The third moved behind me.
I knew it was a bad situation. My friend placed his hand on his pistol he was carrying. I had a knife dad had taught us to throw I grabbed.
The 3 men backed off and left.

It's the closest I've ever come to a very violent throwdown in an extremely long time. Sad you can't trust other people.

We learned a valuable lesson that day. Keep everything locked up at the range.

You were wise to be ready for any needed action to protect life and property.

That is discusting, hopefully the BG's will get shot sometime soon. Can't even go to the range without being alert to what is going on around you. The range I use is a Police range, indoors, everyone that works there is armed, plus there is a Range Master watching over all the shooters. Believe it to be one of the safest ranges in my area.

You were wise to be ready for any needed action to protect life and property.

We have a great new indoor range the 2A here in Tulsa and up north about 15 miles a great outdoor rifle range USSHOOTINGACADEMY. Both safe places to shoot at very fair price's.
That place he was shooting was free but it was out in no mans land, where anything can happen.

Rustic Range

Rustic has monitored rifle and handgun ranges. It's not free by any means. The rifle and handgun range is very busy most all the time. The silloutte and shotgun ranges don't have video as of yet. They also have a cowboy range which is not open all the time.
Each of the range officers and the owner carry all the time. It's been around for at 35 yrs. its the only public rifle range in the area.

He survived & will recover is all that matters to me. The weapons & buggy are replacable, he is Not! I dont think its Random, id be willing to wager a half a paycheck that atleast one of the actors was either related or knows this man personally? How else could you literally walk or drive up on an Armed citizen and successfully shoot & rob them?

Plus 1+

I would be talking more to the cousin.

There was a related story link on the page that spoke of an encounter he had at the range a few days earlier with a couple of weaponless guys hanging out...

In case anyone is interested, here's what OKShooters raised to help the guy:

Final tally:

1857.00 cash (1820.00 spent on the replacement items, cash balance of 37.00)

Replacement items:
1 Pac Out Gun Hauler (replacement buggy)
1 Ruger Mini 30 Stainless with 2 / 20 round mags (replacement rifle)
1 Mitchell Black Lightning 22lr with 2 / 9 round mags, AR15 carry handle (replacement rifle)
1 S&W Sigma 9mm with 2 / 10 rnd mags (replacement pistol)
1 Beretta 92G Police Turn In with 2 / 15 round mags

Other Goodies!!
1 SKS Scoped Rifle
1 Mosin Nagant Rifle
1 Leather Range Bag
3 Year Membership to USSA for Mr Payne and his Wife
2 XDM gunsmith mats
1 Velcro side saddle (holds 7 shot shells)
1 Pro-Shot 8 piece stainless steel cleaning kit
1 - 2fl oz Hoppes Solvent
1 - 2fl oz Royal Purple Synthetic gun oil
1 Bob Allen soft rifle case
1 .30-30 MIGHTY PEN
1 box of Winchester 9MM rounds

Gun owners also got some pretty positive press out of this.
Link Removed

Rule #1....
Never go hunting, fishing, hiking, camping or to an outdoor shooting range all by yourself....
2 or more armed guys/gals hanging out 'together' is a hell of a lot safer & better odds than one lone person i.m.h.o. Don't let the theiving bastards bring you down and stay safe folks.

WOW, Glad the guy will recover, Prayers out to him and whoever takes down the doosh-bags that robbed him.

Mental note don't shoot all ammo. I have been to ranges that I shot everything. All my weapons is alot of value . Great place to releve me of them. It could of happen to any of us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back