Shooting in a safety class . . .

Jrock3rd

I guess someone was not paying attention to the instructor.

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - A Roanoke, Va., man and his wife were recovering after he accidentally shot himself and her during a firearms safety class.

Here is the article link if you want to read it.
Link Removed

Who do you guys find fault with on this??

Well it's his fault my guns always loaded in my holster has been for months until I clean n oil it ... I've never shot my hand

Since I wasn't there I can only say ammo should never be allowed in the classroom. I do not allow students to bring their guns in to the classroom and any gun I have is made inert during classroom training. Functioning firearms and live ammunition belong on the range, not the classroom.

The students never should have been allowed to handle loaded firearms in the classroom.
The instructor should have had all firearms placed on a table and cleared of all ammo.
All ammo should have then been removed from the room.
The firearms should then only be handled by the student under direct supervision of the instructor.
The instructor should take full blame for an incident like this.
He never should have left the room when there are inexperienced students with loaded firearms.

Yes, I agree that the instructor should have removed ANY chance that one of the guns could fire. He also should have conducted a stupid scan and removed at least one student.
BUT!!
Shouldn't an individual considered to be an adult have some responsibility?????? No amount of precaution can prevent stupidity. That individual was hardwired to do something stupid with a gun sooner or later. My immediate reaction after seeing he wasn't seriously injured would have been to beat the crap out of him(if I could). A few good clubbings helps relieve the stupid buildup.

All very interesting comments that I agree with. Did anyone notice this in the article.

"The incident occurred Saturday during a firearms safety class at a residence."

I wonder where the class was being taught? At the instructors house or the students???

Instructor error. He left a loaded .45 with his students. NRA rules say no ammo is allowed in any classroom... for good reason. Never leave an unsecured firearm.

Mobuck:304205 said:
Yes, I agree that the instructor should have removed ANY chance that one of the guns could fire. He also should have conducted a stupid scan and removed at least one student.
BUT!!
Shouldn't an individual considered to be an adult have some responsibility?????? No amount of precaution can prevent stupidity. That individual was hardwired to do something stupid with a gun sooner or later. My immediate reaction after seeing he wasn't seriously injured would have been to beat the crap out of him(if I could). A few good clubbings helps relieve the stupid buildup.

I agree with Mobuck. Both are at fault. Common sense says to try not to hurt yourself....student failed at that.

We use to verify all weapons were empty (personally) and took all mags from all students before we started class. Back in the day when I did some instructing.

No matter where the classroom portion was held, live ammo should have never been present. I would hold the instructor at fault, he should have full control and be fully aware of what's going on, he is in charge. Snap caps for the classroom, live rounds for the range. If a student displays a sheer lack of common sence, that student should be closest to the instructor, or offered a 1 on 1 class. If that same student goes beyond a lack of common sence he would not make it to the live fire portion of instruction. The instructor should know the skill level of his students. Classes I hold, the first slide on the screen indicates if you have a loaded weapon to let me know so it can be unloaded safely, and the ammo to be locked up in that persons vehicle. At no time ammo will be present during the classroom portion. It goes on and on but to make a long story short instructor error, and the worst kind, some one got hurt and agen stupidity tarnishes the gun community's reputation.

Lesson #0;
All firearms are LOADED.
If you think otherwise, then you will probably be shot or shoot someone else with an unloaded firearm someday.

If all firearms are loaded why am I spending so much on ammo trying to fill it up?

You treat all firearms like they are loaded, they are not always loaded.

New gun owners should be taught correct firearm procedures not incorrect beliefs to be afraid if the "always loaded gun".

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

If all firearms are loaded why am I spending so much on ammo trying to full it up?

New gun owners should be taught correct firearm procedures not incorrect beliefs to be afraid if the "always loaded gun".

Really? So you have no problem pointing an "unloaded" firearm at something or someone you do not intend to shoot, because, after all, you've checked it and it is unloaded, so what harm could possible come from that?

nogods:304482 said:
If all firearms are loaded why am I spending so much on ammo trying to full it up?

Really? So you have no problem pointing an "unloaded" firearm at something or someone you do not intend to shoot, because, after all, you've checked it and it is unloaded, so what harm could possible come from that?

What does pointing a firearm at someone, loaded or unloaded, have to do with knowing whether or not a firearm is loaded or unloaded? I think you got your rules mixed up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back