serious ccw question

And yet you advocate lying in this very same post. Hmmm....

If I don't know you (and you aren't a cop) and you ask me if I'm carrying I will lie my ass off to you.

How is that wrong?

To both of the above, its only wrong to lie if you have any respect for yourself. I'm quite certain you can come up with a way to answer, or not answer, that does not require you to lie. And by the way, if it only took a third grade level of reasoning to find the inconsistency in your "logic", how exactly us that my fault again?

I don't believe in lying, under any circumstance. Either keep your silence, or have the courage to tell the truth.

And by the way, if it only took a third grade level of reasoning to find the inconsistency in your "logic", how exactly us that my fault again?

Ok, I need my retard to English dictionary to try and decode that. But anyways.

Obviously you do need help with the hole good lie bad lie thing, so let me try this.

When your wife ask if "this Dress makes me look fat" A good lie would be telling her no she looks stunning. It is a lot better then telling her its not the dresses fault and its the extra hundred pounds she carries on her ass that makes her look like the pig she is. This would be a "good lie"

A bad one would be when you asked her what she did while you were at work and she said she did laundry, dishes, and other house cleaning. She should have just told the truth and admitted that she was screwing anyone that could stomach the sight of her naked.

Anyone who says they have never lied is lying as they say it Including you. This is the real word not some Disney after school special. So lie to yourself and say you respect yourself all you want. But by all means keep preaching all you want, most preachers preach one thing and do another you will fit right into the two-faced crowd just fine.

Hopefully your one man crusade on the evils of lying makes you feel better and helps you sleep at night. You are a Saint in your own mind so please forgive me for not saying amen to that crap that you typed.

No need to educate me, friend. I've learned everything I need to know about lying from watching myself do it. Never said I hadn't. I have seen the damage that even little "white" lies can do. And I've seen the devastation that lies do in general, especially in relationships. I've chosen to avoid it, and with Gods help, I will. My apologies if my recommendation that you find a truthful way to answer these questions has offended you.

Can't help but add two cents here. The issue as I see it, both with this as well as many other posts across the forums are that we (some) do not see concealment as part of the responsibilities for carrying. Now, I am in no way discussing open carry here so let's not go there.

If you carry concealed, it means concealed. Proper holster, proper clothing and proper attitude, including not talking about it. Too often I hear of people getting hassled because someone they run into or know doesn't approve of their carrying. My question is why do they know? You can carry and debate the issue with non believers without exposing yourself to harassment, etc. There are members of my own family that dislike guns, are anti CCW, etc. the topic never comes up, my gun is never exposed, and I always carry. If asked, I do not lie. My response is "Let's not get started on a political discussion please" and then move on from there.

I don't believe in lying, under any circumstance. Either keep your silence, or have the courage to tell the truth.

This gets shot down every time it comes up. here we go again, It's 1944 you are Corrie Ten Boom the Gestapo have just kicked down your door and are asking you "Where are the Jews?" are you going to tell the truth?.

To be honest if I were the OP I would have said " I don't know you , I don't like you , don't talk to me go away"

No need to educate me, friend. I've learned everything I need to know about lying from watching myself do it. Never said I hadn't. I have seen the damage that even little "white" lies can do. And I've seen the devastation that lies do in general, especially in relationships. I've chosen to avoid it, and with Gods help, I will. My apologies if my recommendation that you find a truthful way to answer these questions has offended you.

Ok we will have to agree to disagree. My post that you quoted I suggested 2 options both of which would have eased the tension in the OP's situation. I stand behind both suggestions but myself would also prefer the first option. Either way it was none of her business if he was carrying a gun legally and the lie might have even been a little more non-confrontational which it seems to me is what the OP was going for.

Having said that I would like to apologize to you and to everyone who has read my last 2 post. Last night was a very bad night for me and I went way out of character with what I posted. I stand by my original post but should not have turned anything into a personal attack like I did in my latest post.

I always say we have to be extra careful to separate ourselves (law abiding citizens) from the thugs that carry illegally. Well I blew it last night as I sounded just like that thugs I despise so much.

I don't know the laws in IA but I assume that you do have to tell the police if they ask. Otherwise you do not have to tell anyone, bar worker or other.
If the owner of any establishment has a "no firearms" policy, whether posted or not, he or any of his employees may ask if you're armed. If you refuse to answer he throws you out. If you answer "yes" he throws you out. If you resist or argue he may file a criminal trespass charge. In some states his policy carries the weight of law.

Regarding all other posts. You don't answer this girl with a question. you don't answer with a snide remark. You just don't answer. Period.

If the owner of any establishment has a "no firearms" policy, whether posted or not, he or any of his employees may ask if you're armed. If you refuse to answer he throws you out. If you answer "yes" he throws you out. If you resist or argue he may file a criminal trespass charge. In some states his policy carries the weight of law.

Regarding all other posts. You don't answer this girl with a question. you don't answer with a snide remark. You just don't answer. Period.

True, in fact if he asks you to leave for any reason you need to leave (other than a civil rights issue - race, religion...) or you can be charged with trespassing.

Best thing for the OP to do is learn the laws concerning CCW in that state. But as most have stated, you don't have to tell anyone except the police if you are carrying and in some states, only if they ask.

Personally Im not experienced in lieing about my gun. I have never been asked in public if I was carrying so Im sure that would throw me off and I also would have probably answered yes as well. Live and learn.

Some of these guys like to be hard on everybody that doesnt do everything that they expect, dont bother with thoes folks.

In hind sight, now that Im sitting here reading this and not actually in that situation... Its easy for me to comment. I believe it was more wrong of her to ask, but like you said she has an issue with you. No telling what stick is up her butt. Im somewhat snippy with folks that I know have an issue with me. Answering her question honestly is not the crime some make it out to be.

If you were legal, then you were legal... and she is still a turd.

@ rich m

Thank you for seeing this situation in the same manner I did, and also if you look at the original post it stated it is legal to carry in places like this, I know my laws and any person over this forum that thinks otherwise is a fool... This was clearly her actions and his actions related, my response madly not be one people often give but I thought she would let it go if I was honest with her, I mean why lie to someone who hates you already??? Oh yeah to make an enemy that makes a lot of sense... Thank you again rich for looking at it as if you were in my situation with an on the spot perception

People if your a young child then you never lie. if you an adult you lie sometimes cause there are some dresses that do make your wifes butt look big! and if you tell her that! your going be sleeping on the sofa.
If you don't have the balls to say it's none of your concearn and walk away or just just shutup and walk away. then you still live at home in your mom basements and play way too many video games. Be a adult and don't talk about fight club aaa guns! Being a cop takes tact and coolness of will. don't get pulled into dumb moves just walk away or push the question aside and say something about something other than that. like a child who want something and is crying for it. hide and show something else. her poor little mind will forget it. Now we told you how to handle things like this. see the path to handle other things like this.
If someone calls you stupied and you say NO! your stupied and he says NO your STUPIED and YOU say ect. avoide all that. push it aside, and move on to other things cause do you need to talk to people like that just say hang on a sec and walk away. leave them hanging. Have a nice day. Wonderful weather we are having don'tyou think? Nice music, good band! Wow its loud in here! Got to go pee. sorry i have to get this and take your phone out. OH sorry my friend and I were just leaving. DANG LOOK AT THE TIME! sorry GOT TO GO! pardon me! Sorry I need to tell my friend something. Do you know the time sorry I need to do something, like watch paint dry. Sorry i have to go talk to someone with a brain. Oh I am sorry I have to leave my doc said I should not stand near decomposeing brain matter. finish the last few words as you walk away so it not clear what you said it's way fun n get you out of the area. or just stand there and say NO YOUR DUMB, and let her say NO! YOUR DUMB! ect ect ect.
Sorry got to go!! there is a Blond talking on tv with real words.
Just kidding to you real blonds
and you bottle Blonds. There is a real blond talking on tv with real words.
( I AM SO BAD! LUMPS OF COAL FOR SURE!)

@ rich m

Thank you for seeing this situation in the same manner I did, and also if you look at the original post it stated it is legal to carry in places like this, I know my laws and any person over this forum that thinks otherwise is a fool... This was clearly her actions and his actions related, my response madly not be one people often give but I thought she would let it go if I was honest with her, I mean why lie to someone who hates you already??? Oh yeah to make an enemy that makes a lot of sense... Thank you again rich for looking at it as if you were in my situation with an on the spot perception

If she hates you already it sounds like she's alreadyan enemy.
Are you familiar w/ the term "OPSEC" ? If not it means OPerations SECurity, it means we are very careful about what information we give the enemy. I look at this as more of an OPSEC situation thatn lying.

I've only been a CCW holder for 8 years but in that time I've never been asked if I was packing. I'm not sure exactly how I'd answer since I would be unprepared for the question. My guess is that I'd probably be honest. If I wasn't breaking any carry law then there's no reason to lie, in my opinion.

Instead of lying, asking something like "why do you ask"? puts the question back on her. Or you could say "and if I was"? Or even "what give you that idea"? Or, since you said she already doesn't like you tell her, "Do you mind? I'm trying to eat here"!

I agree with most here. I would have stated that this is not open for discussion and answered her question with another question . Such as why do you care? Or where did you get those shoes? lol. And if pressed further,let her know there is no reason for concern. Concealed is concealed............ Change the subject !

To the OP: Thanks for posting the question. Here are some thoughts.

Since you can not know who else the person asking will tell, or when, there is no up side to letting them know you carry - ever. In an extreme case, you could become the "shoot me first" target - now, or at some time in the future - because God-knows-how-many-people now know that you carry. It's your life and the lives of those around you at stake, at least become creative in your answers if you're not going to stick with the "none of your business" answer.

I guess all of us should be prepared for "The Question". How we answer might depend on where we are and who is asking. Or not. "Why would you ask anyone that?" might be a good initial reply (maybe it's not as concealed as it should be). If they don't indicate that they have seen your gun, -- and don't pull out a Law Enforcement ID -- then one can procede to the Miss Manners Chapter on Personal Questions. Which sorta states that certain personal questions, such as: "are you carrying a gun"; "are you pregnant"; "have you had an abortion"; "how many have you slept with" are out of bounds in polite socity. If they've bumped against it accidently, or even done a "hug-frisk" (why'd you let them get that close?), you could say it's a temporary device you'd rather not talk about (you do take it off to sleep, don't you?).

JMHO
Gary

xdmowner615:245830 said:
So the other night I was at the billiards hall/ bar I am an Iowa resident where bar carry is legal. I was not drinking and was eating a burger I ordered from there... I ran into a girl I knew that does not like me who knows I carry, she asked if I was and responded yes. She told me I was not allowed to carry there as it was a public place, no signs are posted. She continued to argue with me while all I said was I am legal to do so... She then insulted my intelligence by contacting the police dept. My friend contacted the work attendant and stated I have a ccw and am working for a career in law enforcement, he approached me saying I had to tell him I was carrying.... My question is was the worker and girl out of line for their actions, since 1 she had to ask me if I had my gun, and 2 am I legally obligated to tell the worker that I am carrying? Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Some people are just too damn nosy. You're not obligated to tell strangers nothing! !

Per Iowa SF2379 FAQ:

QUESTION: If I am stopped by a law enforcement officer in Iowa, am I required to declare that I am carrying a loaded firearm?
ANSWER: No, but it is really good idea. Iowa law does not require such a declaration; however, as a safety measure for both thepermit holder and the officer, making such a declaration voluntarily is recommended and encouraged.

You are not required to tell anyone.

No but it's a really good idea,,, that's an understatement, if you don't inform them and your gun is in your car they happen to see a magazine or even a bullet that's visible that's a very good way to have a glock 22 aimed at you... I will always tell law enforcement wouldn't you want someone to inform you if you risked your life every day, I've got family at home I want to see them again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back