S.C. carry question for CWPs

GOV5

In S.C., we can't carry into restaurants because almost all of them sell alcohol. I have read the law, and it doesn't say the words " anyplace where alcohol is sold for consumption". Does this mean that because grocery stores sell beer and wine, we can't carry in a grocery store?

You can carry in a liquor store if you want. You can carry in any business that sells alcohol as long as they are not licensed to allow drinking on site.

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on premises consumption.

Most of these laws pertain to bars and places that drinking is the main purpose of the establishment. If a certain percentage of thier business is deticated to alcohol sale and consumption. In some states the laws allows carry in places who do sale alcohol but not as a main source of business. Like a Applebees, or family type establishments that happen to also carry alcohol. But each state has thier own specific laws and you must read them closely. if you are not sure call someone in authority who can make it clear as to what the rules mean.

Mac357 says is about as right as can be said. If you want 100% certainty you do not carry into any restaurant or establishment where alcohol is sold and consumed--then again if you are CC--who knows? My big complaint would be that if there is one time I really want to CC is at 10PM walking back to my car after a nice dinner with wife, but it would be impossible for me to have the firearm if the dining place had facilities for a nice cocktail or wine with my meal. If I should CC on the sly and get in trouble, questions would be asked about my evening activities and then it would be obvious that I had CC in the restaurant and, I assume, I would be in trouble--not so much from police but from a civil suit from the perp. In either case, I would be in trouble if the perp were injured or died--so much for a law that needs refinement.

You cannot carry into any restaurant that serves alcohol, nor ANY establishment that serves alcohol on site, period.

You can carry into any establishment that sells alcohol as long as its not able to be consumed on site.

You can also carry in the mall Food Court, even if there are establishments that sell alcohol in the Food Court, a long as you don't walk up to their storefront.

SECTION 16‑23‑465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm into business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on‑premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16‑11‑330 and 16‑23‑460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

What about a business like a golf course that has a beer cart driving around the course selling beer and other beverages.

Supposedly, this law is based on whether the establishment has sales of 50% or more of alcohol based on revenue. Still, as a non-drinker, it sux!

Choices, we all have choices. NOT saying I would have wanton neglect for State Laws, but I also will not be in a place that I was killed over my plate of spaghetti unarmed.

Supposedly, this law is based on whether the establishment has sales of 50% or more of alcohol based on revenue. Still, as a non-drinker, it sux!

Nope, not in SC. It is based 100% on any sale of alcohol for consumption within the establishment.

Regarding consumption on a golf course, it is not a restaurant or bar, so you are good to go (just like on any beach or park where drinking is legal).

I can't wait for the legislature to modify or get rid of the restaurant clause!

If I don't see a sign saying they sell alcohol I won't know. I'll never ask because I don't drink. They don't use metal detectors. It's better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

It's better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

Amen oldBanjo, sooner be handcuffed and signing a bail ticket then laying flat having a toe tag applied.

I don't drink so I really don't know or care if the establishment serves alcohol. Unless they have a NO CC sign (Legal size/shape) and or blatant advertising concerning alcoholic beverages outside the business. I treat a restaurant as a restaurant.

Lots of Asian places getting hit in the Charleston area. Just cannot be sure anymore. Sooner have and not need than desperately need and not have!

If a place of business has a sign, I won't go in but one day I needed something from a music store, the store had a sign, I told my girlfriend to go in and tell them what I needed and tell them that I couldn't go in because of my gun. They came to the door and told me to come on in. The grocery store that I always use had a sign, I talked to the Manger and stopped shopping there, within a month the sign was taken down. Today everyone needs to make money, these stores with signs would probably remove a sign rather than loose a sell.

If there is one place at one time that I would like to be CC it is 10PM as I walk to my car after a nice dinner at a nice restaurant. Daylight anywhere I go means very little to me in the way of safety and I rarely CC, although I will keep it in car; IMO, car rage is more certain than being accosted during daylight hours--situational awareness takes care of most daylight circumstances for me and makes me feel secure. I sure hope they can find a way to allow restaurant carry even if it means no drinks at all for the CC to be allowed.

I took a CWP class in July and the instructor specifically mentioned that were alcohol is sold for consumption a CCW is not allowed. Like others here I'm bummed cause 1. I don't drink and 2. I eat at restaurants a lot for business or with family.

Hopefully this will change in the future.

also, for other businesses the sign has to be legit for it to be binding. See here for legit sign examples - Link Removed

~V
Link Removed - South Carolina's only dedicated gun forums

For fifty years I've traveled the Eastern US, my method of family protection hasn't changed sense then, the only difference is that I can legally carry CC in some places. I"II SAY NO MORE.......

Hey oldbanjo: I can sense where you are coming from and understand and support it fully. Having said that if you should god forbid be in a position where you have to actually use your firearm and injure or kill the perp, you may get away with it legally if you have a sympathetic judge/jury who understand you or family were in imminent danger of life or great bodily injury but a civil case will prove to be different. That does not change the fact that you may have saved yourself and your family from the danger and that is No.1 on your list, but be prepared to face the consequences of your actions. Bottom line though, is the law is stupid the way it is written--it is intended to stop the drunken brawls with CCers that get out of hand. All they have to do for a black and white solution is "if you are CC you cannot drink" period/end of story. They have now given you a responsibility and if you still want to be irresponsible and drink, you should be required to pay the piper legally and civilly.

Kelcarry, the only reason that the States are even allowing us to carry is because the crime rate went out of sight in 1991, the Police could not handle everything by themselves. The problem isn't that someone with a gun might drink, the problem is more likely that a drunk might start the fight and take your gun. A gun should not be around a bar. I don't consider a restaurant a bar. In this County for a crime short of killing someone you will be turned loose. A Felon with a Mobile Meth Lab in his Vehicle, Stealing, running from Police, no license, guns in his house was turned loose. I know that for a fact. This same person gets arrested every two years or so. There is something wrong with our laws, and I trust no one. All you can do is cover your own butt and hope nothing ever happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back